Natural Selection 2 News Update - First NS2 preview on Destructoid

2»

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Very professional and positive review, it's the type of coverage that really generates interest outside the community.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826819:date=Jan 25 2011, 12:59 PM:name=Ryuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryuu @ Jan 25 2011, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it was just the Lua game code that was open source? Unless I've missed something, the actual engine is still proprietary isn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah you're right. Could be more of a bad phrasing than an error though. Could also be an error. Who knows?
  • StexeStexe Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59227Members, Constellation
    I used to like Destructoid... that is until they leaked everyone who registered on their site's password because they lacked basic security.

And then when I commented on this to one of the owners of Destructoid's Fan Facebook page he removed my comment and blocked me... twice.

BOOO DESTRUCTOID! Be warned if you register with them again -- make sure to use a throw away password since they don't have the best track record.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    rail gun? dont really get the picture because there are many types of "rail gun" in games, one of them that i know is this:

(relating to quake) slow firing weapon with a cool down time interval between shots that deals very high damage?
  • MasahiroMasahiro Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71388Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826909:date=Jan 25 2011, 04:58 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Jan 25 2011, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->rail gun? dont really get the picture because there are many types of "rail gun" in games, one of them that i know is this:

(relating to quake) slow firing weapon with a cool down time interval between shots that deals very high damage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see how a railgun like that would be of much use in the environments of NS2 as a heavy-armoured marine (unless you were hiding in the ceiling like a Lerk).
    I think railgun's just a cool name for a high-powered maybe semi-automatic rifle?
  • MasahiroMasahiro Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71388Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826915:date=Jan 25 2011, 05:22 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 25 2011, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think railgun's just a cool name for a high-powered maybe semi-automatic rifle?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun" target="_blank">interesting entry in Wikipedia</a>, the Railgun (unlike the Quake variation) can theoretically reach a very high rate of fire:

"If it were possible to apply the technology as a rapid-fire automatic weapon, a railgun would have further advantages of increased rate of fire. The feed mechanisms of a conventional firearm must move to accommodate the propellant charge as well as the ammunition round, while a railgun would only need to accommodate the projectile. Furthermore, a railgun would not have to extract a spent cartridge case from the breech, meaning that a fresh round could be cycled almost immediately after the previous round has been shot."

Anyways, to get back on topic, hopefully this is the first of many blog postings of NS2 previews to come. Destructoid did a fine (although brief) job of reporting.
    I can certainly imagine that. Possibly then, there'll be a balance using ammunition consumption as well as 'energy consumption' (which requires recharging); much like the minigun with its 'overheating' (which requires cooling down).
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826752:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:23 AM:name=F0x)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F0x @ Jan 25 2011, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is really a X360 version of NS2 planned ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. That they are looking into this is well known for... months. Maybe even a year or so.
    Really nothing new here so I really don't know what the fuzz is about.
    (Not directed to you asking, more other threads that popped up)
  • AshesAshes Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72405Members
    edited January 2011
    Nice preview! One thing that worries me however, after reading the comments below the article. People seem to think the game has very low system requirements. Not sure where they get this from, but if they enter beta with system specs like this, they'll end up with 1 fps at best.

<i>"Bloody hell, just play it on PC for god's sake.

System Requirements:

1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, Steam, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection. The beta is not fully optimized so a more powerful system is recommended.

Such a big deal to run right."
    </i>
    :S
    Haha yeah I saw that. Seriously that system requirements page needs to change, or there needs to be a <b><u>BIG FAT DISCLAIMER</b></u>.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Yes. That's close to false advertising. At least that's how people will perceive it. And the last thing we want is bad word of mouth.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Interesting how the reporter said it would be out early this year. No way in hell will it be out so soon :-)
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    They might have to release it early if the xmas sale didn't bring in enough cash to continue developing until its really finished...

I really hope they don't bring it out too early, the reviews would be horrible... :/
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1827051:date=Jan 25 2011, 11:03 AM:name=TheLord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheLord @ Jan 25 2011, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They might have to release it early if the xmas sale didn't bring in enough cash to continue developing until its really finished...

I really hope they don't bring it out too early, the reviews would be horrible... :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The holiday sale was great and our day-to-day sales are very good.
  • broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827065:date=Jan 25 2011, 02:54 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 25 2011, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The holiday sale was great and our day-to-day sales are very good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's good to hear.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know why people continue to assume that UWE is on the verge of bankruptcy. I guess it's just a side effect of revealing the uglier stages of game development to the public. Players get pessimistic about the rough performance of the game and they project that attitude onto the game's long-term prospects.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    Looking forward to trying out beta build 162!

The exosuit and weapons... Corey mentioned that an idea of using multiple weapons (dual wield, lets say) was considered. It really made me think of the exosuit from AVP2. This suit had a type of semi-auto railgun and flamethrower built in (also had rockets). Something like this I can see being very powerful for the marines if implemented.

It's good to hear that daily sales are steady -- I had this fear that the majority of players in NS2 would be only those who were committed fans of NS (or people who pre-orderd) and the player base would struggle. Like others said, it's nice to see readers' comments about excitement over the game -- all when this is their first time hearing of Natural Selection.

Good job and keep working hard! The more effort everyone puts in, the better it will be.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    edited January 2011
    Well Max, thats great to hear :)

I was really worried by the rushed beta, Zek - not by the current state of the game.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol didnt knew that page since this post... roflmao. i can post it too to snooops.net! maybe its a milestone too... omg