Hull Breach

SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
So, I was wondering...has the mod Project Hullbreach died or does someone have some info to state otherwise?

Comments

• XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Well I can't figure out how to get past the splash page on their site so I assume it's gone the way of 90% of HL2 mods.
    On a somewhat related note this mod had some <a href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hull-breach/images/senallin-baroness" target="_blank">interesting artwork...</a>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    No idea why you posted it here but from what I remember from being involved with it, was Project Hullbreach died around 3 or so years ago. Some people got industry jobs and that basically broke the team down.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Yeah, dead as a doornail. Real shame, too.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Well there was a thread about Hull Breach in the off topic forum here however many years ago when it was being developed. Too bad that it evaporated as I was one of those interested people.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1828959:date=Feb 1 2011, 07:46 AM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ Feb 1 2011, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I can't figure out how to get past the splash page on their site so I assume it's gone the way of 90% of HL2 mods.
    On a somewhat related note this mod had some <a href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hull-breach/images/senallin-baroness" target="_blank">interesting artwork...</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

N.....nipple armour?
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829139:date=Feb 2 2011, 02:41 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Feb 2 2011, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->N.....nipple armour?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's your alternative? Unprotected nipples?

<i>Unthinkable.</i>
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829089:date=Feb 1 2011, 11:53 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 1 2011, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, dead as a doornail. Real shame, too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It was pretty much my number one most anticipated Source mod (yes, over BMS).
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited February 2011
    Sad thing about Black Mesa Source, too. I don't think anyone really expects to ever see that one released. Sure, they refuse to admit that the mod is dead, but who believes them after all this time? Even their twitter account was last updated over a year ago. Also, <a href="http://twitter.com/BlackMesaDevs/status/2904435262" target="_blank">this one</a> is hilariously sad. Oh yeah, they WILL release - in 2009. Chill out dudes & dudettes!

Maybe if they called it Black Mesa Forever we'd see it by 2018 or something. >_>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Heh I just scanned through some images and well, I noticed PogoP made some of the mapping screenshots. He's semi-active around here, maybe it's worth giving him a nod to see just exactly how dead BMS is?
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Hey guys, Thaldarin just sent me a message asking if I could clarify whether or not the game is ever going to be released.

I did work on BM for a long time (maybe a year and a half to two years), and it was absolutely great. The team were really professional and the quality of the art was outstanding. They are extremely organised and stuff gets done every single day, but fact of the matter is that Half-life was a huge game and the BM devs are trying to re-create it exactly the same, but with improved graphics and gameplay.

Not only do the levels have to be re-designed and re-built, but all the art assets have to be made. When you think how varied the levels were within Half-life, you'll realise how much work that is. Bearing in mind that these guys are working for free in just their spare time (most of these guys have full time jobs)!

Also, they're adding in loads more dialogue to BM. There will be a lot more scripted scenes, and these are a lot harder to create than making levels/art.

So anyway, just to clarify... I know they're still chipping away at it. I'm still in touch with a few of the devs and they're still working hard. So don't panic, BM will be released one day, in one form or another.
    Will it be in 2009? Oh boy, I hope it will be in 2009. That will have been sweet.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830223:date=Feb 7 2011, 04:21 PM:name=PogoP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PogoP @ Feb 7 2011, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys, Thaldarin just sent me a message asking if I could clarify whether or not the game is ever going to be released.

I did work on BM for a long time (maybe a year and a half to two years), and it was absolutely great. The team were really professional and the quality of the art was outstanding. They are extremely organised and stuff gets done every single day, but fact of the matter is that Half-life was a huge game and the BM devs are trying to re-create it exactly the same, but with improved graphics and gameplay.

Not only do the levels have to be re-designed and re-built, but all the art assets have to be made. When you think how varied the levels were within Half-life, you'll realise how much work that is. Bearing in mind that these guys are working for free in just their spare time (most of these guys have full time jobs)!

Also, they're adding in loads more dialogue to BM. There will be a lot more scripted scenes, and these are a lot harder to create than making levels/art.

So anyway, just to clarify... I know they're still chipping away at it. I'm still in touch with a few of the devs and they're still working hard. So don't panic, BM will be released one day, in one form or another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's just useless. All the "updated" tech they are using will be totally oudated when they release. I also see no point in remaking whole game at once without releases in between (like third of a game done, released, another third done and so on).

Let's for a minute assume that the plan makes sense at all. Then if Valve had 50 (quite random number I know) people working full-time on HL1 for let's say 2 years then with "mod-time" (like 1/4 of full-time) people you need 200 of them during 2 year period or 50 during 8 year period. That's huge project and there's a lot of work coordinating it. Why would anyone want to spend time on something as huge and still have it only as a hobby? If you pull it off, congratulations. For me it's pure masochism.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830256:date=Feb 7 2011, 05:55 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Feb 7 2011, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's just useless. All the "updated" tech they are using will be totally oudated when they release. I also see no point in remaking whole game at once without releases in between (like third of a game done, released, another third done and so on).

Let's for a minute assume that the plan makes sense at all. Then if Valve had 50 (quite random number I know) people working full-time on HL1 for let's say 2 years then with "mod-time" (like 1/4 of full-time) people you need 200 of them during 2 year period or 50 during 8 year period. That's huge project and there's a lot of work coordinating it. Why would anyone want to spend time on something as huge and still have it only as a hobby? If you pull it off, congratulations. For me it's pure masochism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mootant you work on empires, you aren't allowed to criticise people for wasting time on useless projects.

Everything I've seen of BMS looks good, unless valve is planning to release half life source 2 and entrely supercede the project, I will be quite happy if it gets released in 2015 or something. I still enjoy HL1 so being able to play it with an updated look and mechanics will be nice.
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for being so quick to reply Pogo :)

I have seen recent dev posts on the forums and I was hoping that it was still going.

Trash talking BMS in such a way is useless mootant. From a level design aspect, just wow, what they've done with the base and extended visually is damn impressive. And Pogo is right, it is a pretty big game and people are doing this around their working lives. A little update wouldn't hurt but then equally, everyone has stumbling blocks and slow part of their development.

I for one am just glad to hear it is still going, it's just a shame there's nothing else we can do to get it closer apart from wait.

Oh and lolfigher, it's not like you piad $20 or $40 and got told the game would definitely be out in 2009 and it's still in development in 2011 ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1830332:date=Feb 7 2011, 10:39 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 7 2011, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh and lolfigher, it's not like you piad $20 or $40 and got told the game would definitely be out in 2009 and it's still in development in 2011 ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ZING!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    In other news, I'm sad Neotokyo died.
    <!--quoteo(post=1830400:date=Feb 7 2011, 09:21 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 7 2011, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In other news, I'm sad Neotokyo died.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's true, but on the other hand it got released and was a ton of fun to play while it lasted, so at least some good came out of it.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neotokyo had an amazing soundtrack too :(

I don't like how the CSS kiddies got a hold of it and killed the game off by flooding it with complaints.
    <!--quoteo(post=1830415:date=Feb 7 2011, 10:28 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 7 2011, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's true, but on the other hand it got released and was a ton of fun to play while it lasted, so at least some good came out of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, I had a blast on the games I played of it. The gameplay felt very tight, good graphics and so on.

How dead is it though, dead as in no servers at all or what?
    NeoTokyo had promise. Although everytime I played it was just didn't feel right. Visually it was good but gameplay wise it was lacking for me.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830468:date=Feb 8 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 8 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NeoTokyo had promise. Although everytime I played it was just didn't feel right. Visually it was good but gameplay wise it was lacking for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed

its just some gimicky counterstrike
    I really liked it. The gameplay was slow and deliberate but not extremely slow or anything boring like that. All three armor classes were useful in different ways, but everyone was competent at everything so you didn't get pigeonholed into one role. The vision modes were cool, most of the maps were great, and <i>all</i> of the maps were beautiful. And like slayer20 mentioned, the soundtrack was one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. I have very few complaints with NeoTokyo.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    I heard you got hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a breach ain't one
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830887:date=Feb 9 2011, 12:15 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 9 2011, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really liked it. The gameplay was slow and deliberate but not extremely slow or anything boring like that. All three armor classes were useful in different ways, but everyone was competent at everything so you didn't get pigeonholed into one role. The vision modes were cool, most of the maps were great, and <i>all</i> of the maps were beautiful. And like slayer20 mentioned, the soundtrack was one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. I have very few complaints with NeoTokyo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My biggest issue was working with the UI and learning all the cool features they put in. It took me several games before I realized I was clicking on different skins, not different classes. The pop-ups always seemed to tell you the things you knew AFTER you died, so you were completely lost for the first 10 rounds. =p Oh, and the unlock system was kinda bleurgh since you could get locked down to only the basic weapons and have very little chance of catching up since some of the later ones were just strictly better.

However, it had such great promise. Vision modes, the variety, the maps, the visuals, the sound, all were top-notch and smooth.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1830887:date=Feb 9 2011, 08:15 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 9 2011, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really liked it. The gameplay was slow and deliberate but not extremely slow or anything boring like that. All three armor classes were useful in different ways, but everyone was competent at everything so you didn't get pigeonholed into one role. The vision modes were cool, most of the maps were great, and <i>all</i> of the maps were beautiful. And like slayer20 mentioned, the soundtrack was one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard. I have very few complaints with NeoTokyo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Usability (mostly UI). That was really the mod's major downfall. Most people didn't really get how it was supposed to be played and what everything did. Other than that (and some kinda basic models and animations, and a couple of weak maps, but forgivable for a mod) it was great.
    Yeah but remember that awesome tanker level? Yeah!
    I never really had a problem with the UI. My <i>massive brain</i> meant that I was able to figure it out rather easily.
    Nice to know TC. You and your massive brain could always go over there. *points*
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound my <i>massive brain</i> makes.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I guess you need all that space to forget all the stuff you never knew in the first place about Star Wars.