[UNOFFICIAL] Flame thrower poll.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">I colllected data from most of the flamethrower forums.</div>Basically, I have noted down what other people want to happen to the flamethrower and what I want to happen to the flame thrower. Tell me if you wish to add something. Here it is:

1. A) Decrease the range.
B) Increase the range.
C) Keep the range the same.

A) Decrease the damage.
B) Increase the damage.
C) Keep the damage the same.

3. Make it more of a building killer not a player killer.

4. A) It <b>should not</b> prevent the fade from blinking. B) It <b>should</b> prevent the fade from blinking.

5. The Kharaa needs more defences against flamethrowers. (For example: Carapace: Lowers the about of damage they take from flamethrowers and they burn for less time)

6. Increase the width of the Flamethrower so it is more spread.

7. A) Increase the cost.
B) Decrease the cost.
C) Keep the cost the same.

8. Slower speed when firing the flamethrower.

9. No jumping when firing the flamethrower.

10. Damages self when firing close by.

11. Limit the amount of flamethrowers per squad/team.

12. Lower the damage against skulks. (Chris0132's Idea)

How to say what you want.

For example I want:

1.A
2.A
4.A

So I will put it like that.
Hopefully the devs will read this and think about the flamethrower.

If you don't fully agree with some of these or you want to change it slightly just put:

9. But allow them to jump a tiny bit.
Say why you don't fully agree with it, add some detail.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Why don't you just do this in the other flamethrower thread? :/
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2011
    1 C
    2 C
    4 B
    7 C

Really the only change I would suggest is lower the damage against skulks slightly, and standardise burn times.

Keep everything else the same.

Also the poll format is kind of flawed, it seems as though you're deliberately trying to prevent people from disagreeing by only offering the option to vote for your ideas or against, not to offer their own. It doesn't really let you explain what you think unless you happen to think the same thing you do.
  • SorelSorel Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68498Members
    1.) C

2.) A

3.)

4.) A

7.) A

8.)

9.)

10.)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833639:date=Feb 19 2011, 03:13 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 19 2011, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why don't you just do this in the other flamethrower thread? :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it was a bit too long and most people woulnd't read it as it would be a comment not a topic. When things are topics then are read more often than long comments.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833640:date=Feb 19 2011, 03:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 19 2011, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1 C
    2 C
    4 B
    7 C

Really the only change I would suggest is lower the damage against skulks slightly, and standardise burn times.

Keep everything else the same.

Also the poll format is kind of flawed, it seems as though you're deliberately trying to prevent people from disagreeing by only offering the option to vote for your ideas or against, not to offer their own. It doesn't really let you explain what you think unless you happen to think the same thing you do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is why I said
    <i>"Tell me if you wish to add something."</i>

Basically meaning if you want me to add an idea I will.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I don't understand why the opposite option to 6 isn't there. The spread is ridiculously huge right now, and it's AOE damage, not discrete "particles" (like rifle, shotgun).
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    1. C

2. B (the burn damage is pretty good but the initial hitting damage is pretty weak, i recommend lowering the burn damage by a little but increasing the initial hit damage, just like the pyro in TF2)

4. A

6. A

The flamer should be more supportive, i think perhaps even a slow should be introduced as well as a energy regeneration disable.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    01.A
    02.C
    04.A - firetrail /small blast (NO! extra damage) after blink
    05. suppression (roll in infestation for example)
    07.C
    08. when moving to much forward ignite self
    10. Damage all when in small room
  • SyriquezSyriquez Join Date: 2005-01-29 Member: 38979Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833638:date=Feb 19 2011, 10:09 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Feb 19 2011, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->10. Damages self when firing close by.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Killing Floor has a similar effect with its flamethrower and it's on the Unreal Engine. I'd imagine that should volumetric flames be mastered and finalized, there could be a more advanced version of this placed in NS2, where the splash back could actually be a major detriment to the team, solving the "TEAM FLAMETHROWER" issue without introducing an ugly rule-based limitation (it's "prettier" to <i>encourage</i> limits than to actually force them). Additionally, with the splash back making the flamethrower a less-than-ideal anti-personnel weapon in general, the rest of the squad is encouraged to keep alien players away from you, despite the power available.

Of course, that still depends on a big "if" for the volumetric flames.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think it's pretty good as is. Only changes I'd like to see is reduced burn time (i.e. you only stay on fire a few seconds afterwards, not 20 seconds). And of course the burning stuff through walls needs to be fixed. I think the damage is fine...and maybe even a tad too low DI.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833674:date=Feb 19 2011, 06:14 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Feb 19 2011, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the damage is fine...and maybe even a tad too low DI.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That means "DI has too much HP", not "flamethrower does too little damage".
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    why not go to another site and make an actual poll? nobody wants to scour a forum thread for results.
  • HeliaXDemoNHeliaXDemoN Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80906Members
    3. Make it more of a building killer not a player killer.

Only this :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1833678:date=Feb 19 2011, 05:29 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Feb 19 2011, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why not go to another site and make an actual poll? nobody wants to scour a forum thread for results.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By commenting you are bumping this thread up to the top. If you dont' want to join in with my poll then don't comment. You are making it worse for yourself.