MAC drops medkits and ammo

ChrisJustinParrChrisJustinParr Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79359Members
Why not? It would be kind of cool to go with your squad in to battle and have to wait for a couple of macs to support you. It would also make them worth defending (for marines) and attacking (for aliens). Maybe let commander set MAC to follow a squad?

Gets rid of weird appearance of packs on the ground.

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Something like this has been suggested recently. I'm in favor of the idea.
  • mobettamobetta Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72693Banned
    I agree again. That would make it better.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I am in favor as well. MAC as delivery and repair bot sounds sweet :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited March 2011
    I don't think it would work too well with the cap of 1 or 2 MACs per chair idea.

Also, I'd hope that you'd increase the health and armour a bit, if they're going to be that important.
  • ChrisJustinParrChrisJustinParr Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79359Members
    edited March 2011
    I should add that even if the MACs are vulnerable, so what? It encourages marines to (a) stick together in groups and (b) be cautious before pushing out.

Also this way we don't have to come up with some crazy squad-incentive scheme like XP-bonuses (which would be hard to implement/balance) or artificial things like 'morale'

EDIT: I know! Limit the MACs to one per squad leader and have the option for the MAC to follow the squad leader.
    <!--quoteo(post=1839229:date=Mar 29 2011, 09:53 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 29 2011, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it would work too well with the cap of 1 or 2 MACs per chair idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Even considering that this would make multiple comms considerably more valuable?
    The problem is that you'll have less or no MACs for your menial tasks.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839238:date=Mar 30 2011, 12:54 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 30 2011, 12:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is that you'll have less or no MACs for your menial tasks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They could just increase the number of MACs per chair or decrease the cost per MAC to compensate.
    <!--quoteo(post=1839238:date=Mar 29 2011, 10:54 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 29 2011, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is that you'll have less or no MACs for your menial tasks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which makes you choose whether to devote your resources (time/attention/MACs) to attacking or building. Constraints are put on the Commander. Strategies Emerge.
    edited March 2011
    I suppose... :/ I'd want the MACs to be free and instant, or practically invincible then. Two per chair would be better, because then you could commit to zero to two squads at tier 1 and zero to two for menial tasks.
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839260:date=Mar 29 2011, 11:51 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 29 2011, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose... :/ I'd want the MACs to be free and instant, or practically invincible then. Two per chair would be better, because then you could commit to zero to two squads at tier 1 and zero to two for menial tasks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rely on Marines to defend MACs. Most Aliens have to get within Melee range, so this is fine.
    1-2 MACs per Command Station (T1)
    2-3 MACs per Command Facility (T2)
    3-4 MACs per Command Center (T3)
    This provides much greater incentive to cap Tech Points.
  • WarlockSynoWarlockSyno Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72312Members
    I can see a MAC with a flame thrower as support. I don't see it dropping support packs.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You do know that this suggestion will lead to more tedious micromanagement?
    edited March 2011
    I worry that it will be too easy to take out a MAC, thus leaving a squad of marines without commander support. I would like them to be more durable, maybe quicker. I would like their construction to be free and instant, if you are going to make them not only precious but vulnerable.

Micromanagement yes... but medpacks and ammo packs could just be dropped instantly within a certain radius from the MAC, and thus reduce some of the tedium. That is, the MAC's location dictates the operating area for dropping medpacks and ammo.
    Or, if you have the MAC selected (and you probably would), then if you know HoN/DotA/LoL/Warcraft3, it would be the same as spell range/radius.
    Now, whether or not you describe the micromanagement of a unit's location and casting in battle as tedious is simply up to personal preference... but I mean, there's a whole genre of games dedicated to that.

Now, having said that, I think the idea itself is good, and has potential, but I don't necessarily advocate it. I could have it either way: the omnipresent medspam we have now, or the MAC-centric cast system.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1839390:date=Mar 30 2011, 11:46 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 30 2011, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I worry that it will be too easy to take out a MAC, thus leaving a squad of marines without commander support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is why it would be tedious. You would have to babysit the MAC so that it wouldn't die and would be in range of the marines. I think a better idea is to have something similar to the medpack that is dropped with a radius of healing.