Replace Drifters

craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
Use the dynamic infestation to replace drifters. When the alien commander wants to build a structure (harvester or chamber or maybe even eggs), they click the desired location and a root/vein grows through the DI. The growth starts from the hive that issued the build order. The structure then grows from the end of the root/vein. Building further from the hive will incur an increasing time delay because of the distance the root/vein must grow. You can also directly transfer the energy cost of building drifters to the cost of growing roots. Perhaps the root (and even part of the hive where the root connects) could glow red to visually alert alien players that the structure is taking damaged.

The roots will be able to automatically re-route themselves if a section is killed, as long as there is a connection of DI back to a hive. If a hive dies, all the structures will re-route themselves to another hive, provided there is one connected via DI. Perhaps the structures could randomly explode after 30 to 60 seconds if no hive is found - like zenocide.

This approach complements the organic nature of DI. Also, there is a bit too much symmetry between mac's & drifters for my liking. This would help make the 2 sides more distinct in the implementation of a similar concept.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like it, but I see two problems
    1. How do you build new hives (i.e. does this mean you need to connect DI to the 2nd tech node before building the 2nd hive?)
    2. This doesn't give the marines a chance to stop a structure from being built by killing the drifter enroute.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited April 2011
    Addressing ScardyBob:
    1. Could just be spontaneous. Hives are self-sustaining anyway.
    2. Yeah but the aliens don't have a chance to stop a structure from being built either. Not really. Kill the MAC, the marines will build it, and faster.

As for the actual idea, it's interesting and I like it. It makes sense really, you need to have DI to build structures anyway, so the drifter in addition to that is kind of superfluous.

I'd like to see it considered as one of the methods tested along with the current drifter approach, and they could see what works best.
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    1. Hives work exactly as they do now, they are the source of DI, they don't need DI to drop
    2. No. Depending on the situation, this could be good or bad.

The root/vein thing has morphed into a vine like entity supported by the DI, extending out from the hives and making a network. I only see 1 vine traversing through each doorway and branches coming off that to connect the structures. So it's forms a tree-like network of alien buildings with the hives at the root.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Marines don't have a chance to stop a Drifter from evolving into a Hive right now anyways. Drifters are fast, they fly/float, and they can traverse vents. I rarely see a Drifter in game, as Marine or Alien.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1840034:date=Apr 6 2011, 06:29 AM:name=crae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crae @ Apr 6 2011, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Hives work exactly as they do now, they are the source of DI, they don't need DI to drop<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I'm still a bit confused. Currently, you need a drifter to build a new hive. If we replace (i.e. get rid of entirely) drifters, then how will I create new hives? Are you saying we'll still have drifters, but they can only build hives? Or do I need to expand the DI over to the tech node before I can build a new hive? Or will I simply be able to select the tech node and build a hive directly? Or something else I'm not thinking of?
    >Currently, you need a drifter to build a new hive

I hadn't thought of that aspect. That does break it slightly, no idea's that resolve this oversight cleanly...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I'd much rather the Gorge becoming the Go-To lifeform for Kharaa commanding, if it could build all Kharaa-related structures that is. The only beef I have with the idea is that it's similar to Marine Commander structure placement (without MAC selected), and that's only kept in check by non-automatic building.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840073:date=Apr 6 2011, 01:17 PM:name=crae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crae @ Apr 6 2011, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->>Currently, you need a drifter to build a new hive

I hadn't thought of that aspect. That does break it slightly, no idea's that resolve this oversight cleanly...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suppose you make it so the gorge places the hive or you need an alien in the room to place a hive there.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    as far as i remember the design theme is to keep the teams as asymetrical as possible, drifters where meant to be recon.

having to rely on a single, weak, slow, ai controlled (also identified as "STUPID LIKE MOLDY BREAD") unit to build everything on top of creep just breaks the alien team, makes them just an evolutionary dead end as predators (and marines) simply go after the weakest but most important and too expensive to lose unit.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    drifters should be limited to what they can build, let me explain.

allow the alien commander to spread infestation, build hives, whips and control alien upgrades. While the gorge would take the same role he did in NS1, he would build chambers, and RTs.
    This would drastically change alien commanding, and the class gorge which are badly needed. I'm not saying everything I've wrote in set in stone, but the idea to change alien commanding is a must since both races have same command style.
    edited April 2011
    As I said, the hive can simply spontaneously generate. Thus eliminating the need for drifters entirely.

Alternatively, you could keep the requirement for infestation to be present, and it would require a gorge to actually go and drop infestation... thus creating a need for a gorge player.

I had a whimsical idea about a drifter leaving a trail of infestation behind it wherever it goes... but nah.*

*Perhaps the drifter could become a 'permanent' unit like the MAC is, but its primary functions are to assist-build (speed up building), heal/repair, and drop infestation. Like a commander-controlled gorge, in practice. And if we go with a single MAC per CC, we could also go with a single drifter per hive. So you'd retain the DI-spreading function in the OP's suggestion, but for temporary patches, like placing DI on tech nodes for hives... you could just use a drifter or a gorge. Of course, then there's the issue of aliens being able to deny early marine expansions at no cost, without flamethrowers yet available to counter it, but maybe the gorge can do this anyway. There's also the issue of making the current gorge less essential, but I think the gorge's mechanics need to change radically anyway.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840147:date=Apr 7 2011, 05:31 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 7 2011, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had a whimsical idea about a drifter leaving a trail of infestation behind it wherever it goes... but nah.*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gorge already has the perfect move for this (Belly Slide :P). Seriously though, I do hope that spreading Infestation will become a more fine-tuned process, wherein the Commander can walk some node/vein/root in the Infestation around and spread said Infestation.

Back on topic, suggesting the removal of an asset that the team has already been invested time and money in is (I imagine) considerably less likely to be listened to. Why not modify what we have already to get as close to your suggested behavior as we can? Also, remember current DI is a prototype, so any suggestions made with them in mind may end up being moot in a few months.

I think Drifters should lose mobility when they leave Infestation. Make 'em crawl.
  • ChrisJustinParrChrisJustinParr Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1840147:date=Apr 7 2011, 10:31 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 7 2011, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said, the hive can simply spontaneously generate. Thus eliminating the need for drifters entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur</a>

But in all seriousness, I like the OP's idea. Even if it has no gameplay significance, it would probably be helpful in making the aliens different than marines and make infestation meaningful. Maybe just have the drifter act as an alternate spawn point for aliens (moving egg) since we don't want to waste the wonderful 3D artwork.

Also dynamic infestation needs to be significantly reworked. I like how the current system is supposed to be innovative and all but just make it like Starcraft please. It's an idea worth copying.
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1840183:date=Apr 7 2011, 02:40 PM:name=ChrisJustinParr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChrisJustinParr @ Apr 7 2011, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also dynamic infestation needs to be significantly reworked. I like how the current system is supposed to be innovative and all but just make it like Starcraft please. It's an idea worth copying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype" target="_blank">Prototype</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1840147:date=Apr 7 2011, 01:31 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 7 2011, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said, the hive can simply spontaneously generate. Thus eliminating the need for drifters entirely<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't really want anything happening randomly or spontaneously in a game with either fps or rts parts. The lack of control horribly frustrates players and to do so in relation to such a crucial game element would make commanding the aliens terrible. You really need the predictability of cause and effect.
    edited April 2011
    I'm sorry. That's really not what I meant at all. What I meant was - select hive structure, click on empty node, subtract res, hive builds on its own. There is nothing random about it. Spontaneous generation simply means that it requires nothing to begin it... i.e. no unit to be there. No drifter to be consumed, no gorge to build like a MAC or a marine builds.

Anyway, it seems as if no one really gave this part of the post a read:
    <!--quoteo(post=1840147:date=Apr 7 2011, 05:31 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 7 2011, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*Perhaps the drifter could become a 'permanent' unit like the MAC is, but its primary functions are to assist-build (speed up building), heal/repair, and drop infestation. Like a commander-controlled gorge, in practice. And if we go with a single MAC per CC, we could also go with a single drifter per hive. So you'd retain the DI-spreading function in the OP's suggestion, but for temporary patches, like placing DI on tech nodes for hives... you could just use a drifter or a gorge. Of course, then there's the issue of aliens being able to deny early marine expansions at no cost, without flamethrowers yet available to counter it, but maybe the gorge can do this anyway. There's also the issue of making the current gorge less essential, but I think the gorge's mechanics need to change radically anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2011
    if the marines can deny alien construction teams access, the patch will wither away, so i dont see a problem here.

But spontanous kongregation is a problem. there needs to be at least a drifter present for the aCom to see the teritory and access the techpoint options.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840271:date=Apr 8 2011, 03:22 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 8 2011, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry. That's really not what I meant at all. What I meant was - select hive structure, click on empty node, subtract res, hive builds on its own. There is nothing random about it. Spontaneous generation simply means that it requires nothing to begin it... i.e. no unit to be there. No drifter to be consumed, no gorge to build like a MAC or a marine builds.

Anyway, it seems as if no one really gave this part of the post a read:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, ok. That makes more sense. So it would be similar to how the marines can drop a CC on an empty tech node, except that it builds by itself. Personally, I'd like to see some type of hindrance, like an alien unit/structure needing to be nearby, or else aliens could use an early hive drop in marine exp to prevent them from upgrading to lvl2 tech.
    edited April 2011
    >or else aliens could use an early hive drop in marine exp to prevent them from upgrading to lvl2 tech.

Can't you do this in the game is right now? Just hope the drifter survives the journey. I'm not sure this would be a very successful alien strategy in any case.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i really like this idea
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I read/skimmed through this. The problem of a hive spontaneously generating isn't really a problem, I mean, marine structures can spontaneously appear, so how about, instead of nerfing the drifter completely(this relates to another idea thread i made a little while ago). When the current commander asks to make a new hive, a drifter will automatically appear and head over to the place you want the command center to appear.

As for the stuff being built with a vein through the infestation, I like it, and the marines can chop the vein to prevent a harvester from working for a short period of time. It's kind of like the khaaras own version of power nodes.
    It would still cost the aliens the resources to drop the hive - and it will still be as easy to kill without support, so if they really want to deny an early expansion at that cost, then more power to them.
  • CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
    Love this idea. Definately a more streamlined approach which also has the quirk of being a totally logical one.