BEST EFFING MATCH EVER!

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited May 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Build 177 - #156 server - Rockdown 3 hour game - NO LAG - No crashing</div>This game was held May 10th 11:00PM to 2:30AM May 11th Eastern USA time. Lasting around 3 hours, if you were there you know how good of a game it was, let everyone know your story!

It was a game of epic porportions I was on the aliens, and man did the marines give us hell, we took west early and slowly took over the whole map but eventually the marines broke out and took west by the balls, they had 6 turrets guarding it. We tried everything to destroy there base but they defended so well. It was a wonderful game and we had been going back and forth with one team winning and losing territories.

The marines were very well organized in groups trying to push together as a single unit never a solo soldier.

But OMG, We had at least 300 Hydras and 20 crags all over the map, and we had the 70% of the map infested and there was no LAG. And not only that but I had not crashed a single time! All 12 players stayed in the game for the full 3 hours and no one crashed.

The Aliens eventually won the game taking out there West Base with 6 turrets. It was insane. I am so glad we won that match.

PS: THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE AMAZING WHEN ITS FINISHED. Definitly could become one of the top 5 BEST PC GAMES OF ALL TIMES. Lets just hope performance gets better! I wish I would have recorded that match.

Comments

• SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    It was half that long and most of it was marines turtling in a corner. Eventually we had enough res to suicide fades constantly. Once the onos is implemented it should be less of a problem.

On a better note, the hydras and infestation are being handled much much better by servers. Good work :)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Well, for that particular match I decided to take the Marine for a spin. I learned some interesting things.

1. Skulk Surfing is possible
    2. lerks Glow rather nicely when cooking
    3. NEVER turn your back on a fade
    4. Don't get a closer look at a burning door (see #3)
    5. A gorge doesn't make a good pet
    6. Don't try to put a grenade in the vent at main on rockdown (sure death)
    7. Don't ask your wife for a beer after ignoring her for 3 hours

Truly a learning experience and had a great time, some of the best game play I have been in for a long time! Thanks to everyone for sticking it out till the end and for being good sports about the bugs!
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1845389:date=May 11 2011, 03:36 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ May 11 2011, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->6. Don't try to put a grenade in the vent at main on rockdown (sure death)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha!!! I was the lerk in the vent when you guys kept trying to nade my vent, I was laughing so hard at that you guys kept hurting yourself. It was the vent that was right outside of marine start.
  • bluethunder2kbluethunder2k Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98234Members
    That was a great game!!!

I'm playing from Australia, it was only justtttt bareable with the ping but I got along okay..

I started off as the alien commander but gave up after 1.5 hrs because I felt like blinking around with the fade (first com i've ever played aswell)

Best part was, that was my FIRST game of NS (havn't played at all up until now) DAMN i'm excited.

Can't wait for it to be finished now!!!!

Maybe it was the ping, but I couldn't land one hit as the skulk.

Performance was pretty ehhhh but I got used to it after a while, expecting great things on this front in the next 6 months.

Cheers to everyone who played & congrats to the NS2 team!!

P.S, I registered on the forums so I could post this :D
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845389:date=May 11 2011, 04:36 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ May 11 2011, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->7. Don't ask your wife for a beer after ignoring her for 3 hours<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I lol'd.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    3 hours? Sounds like a horror show.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1845447:date=May 11 2011, 11:51 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ May 11 2011, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 hours? Sounds like a horror show.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah It was getting really annoying, I almost quit multiple times, but I kept saying to myself, damn we have came this far we have got to finish them!
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845386:date=May 11 2011, 09:21 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ May 11 2011, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But OMG, We had at least 300 Hydras and 20 crags all over the map, and we had the 70% of the map infested and there was no LAG.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Screenshots with net_stats, or it did not happen.
  • memnoch666devilmemnoch666devil Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17174Members
    I was there. Great match. SN.Wolf, I remember you saying something when the match was over about your wife lol.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845462:date=May 11 2011, 06:13 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 11 2011, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Screenshots with net_stats, or it did not happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather see video footage with all of said above.
    it would be impossible to fit all of the hydras in one picture but there was around 20 in each room or hallway in the entire map near the end.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I was too busy bunny hopping to think about screens and i failed to hit the record button on frapps, sorry.

I was running pretty smooth most of the game at around 20fps dropping to around 15 with the hydra/infestation spam but went back up to 20 when we swept the rug from our little corner of the map (west).

I'm running a AMD 6 core with a GT220 on 6GB ram and it was every bit playable with a few warping moments mostly when the gaggle of fades pried the flamethrower from my smoking hands.. The server was running from a fresh boot as the game before hand the server crashed on end-game.

With 12 players and most of the time there where at least 8 in one area exchanging teeth for grenades the game went well with a lot of action with a fair share of comedy combined with excellent team work.

If i remember correctly the server is running a Q6600?
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    It was a hell of a match and by the end of there was definitely some lag due to hydras. I went spect and started removing some of them/counting. You couldn't step 3 steps without running into one. 30 in marine start(marines were holding in west when i think it finally crashed? I quit by that time) But it was at least a 2 hour match. It was painfully epic but did demonstrate some of the value of being able to upgrade with only 1 tech point and the value of capturing them so aliens can't surround you. I remember that by time I quit my score was well over 800 from killing alien structures over and over again and having them rebuilt. Commander was new but it was painful how long it stalemated though it looked like we could have come back if we could have only pushed in over the hives and then capped them. (We did that with west the final stronghold) I'd say atleats 8 of the 12 players were there the whole time I was.

I can't find the West server specs atm or I'd post them
    I am pretty sure they have an i7 on that server
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    McGlasspie I am sure will pop in and let everyone know about it.
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845486:date=May 11 2011, 08:06 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ May 11 2011, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was too busy bunny hopping to think about screens and i failed to hit the record button on frapps, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Worst troll. Especially considering the skulks movement code is so [hashtag]ed right up and bugged to hell.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was running pretty smooth most of the game at around 20fps dropping to around 15 with the hydra/infestation spam but went back up to 20 when we swept the rug from our little corner of the map (west).

I'm running a AMD 6 core with a GT220 on 6GB ram and it was every bit playable with a few warping moments mostly when the gaggle of fades pried the flamethrower from my smoking hands.. The server was running from a fresh boot as the game before hand the server crashed on end-game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Running pretty smooth at 20FPS? That's a joke.

Especially as I run not-smoothly, and at 45FPS on a lower spec system.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    The Team#156 West Server is running a Intel i5 with 8 GB of ram on a Sandy Bridge chipset motherboard (B3 Version)

Software is Server 2008 Enterprise.

I logged into the server box just prior to that long match and saw it was giving mass errors at a high rate of speed, as in the text was rolling so fast and I had assumed it crashed so I rebooted it (sorry if I cut your guy's game short but it sounds like that match was about over anyway)

So that long game was on a fresh reboot of the server.

Playa_2b
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    Epic game for sure Marines had a new com and could of won with a few med packs given out at any point of attacking the hive. In the end we ended up losing to hydra spam so thick it chocked the sever down 30+ in gully 30+ @ marine start I might of got some screen shots I will look. The game was fun as hell I stopped playing as well after 800 points
    and no res comming in Aliens just could not finish it off and our com had made a few key mistakes oh well it's all part of a GG. The 156 west sever is still kicking ass.
    Scottie
    Actually the aliens also had a new commander.