Skulk Jump

FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">He Jumps on diferent heights.</div>Today I was trying to do some Bunnyhop in NS2 whit Skulk. Sometimes it works sometimes not.
But i found a big Issue. If you just go around the map whit the Skulk Jumping all the time while CTRL is pressed, you will see that the Skulk doesnt alsways Jump as he should.

Sometimes he does little Jumps like 40cm and sometimes big one like 3m. Or when he stand still and Jumps he sometimes jumps in anydirection sometimes left then right then back.
The strangest I found was, when you jumped from 1 side to the other, like from A to B, you get a ridicolous boost and if you go then from B to A it's like you are jumping versus an Airflow.

I tested it on several maps and Servers, it's always random what jump occurs.

Anyone else can reproduce this bug?

Greetings from Switzerland

Comments

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    There is no bunnyhop in this engine so far.

But yes, jumping is really laggy and doesn't feel really controllable; I'm sure they'll fix that. Controls are not really polished yet.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    If they implement bunny hopping I'll be pissed. ###### was stupid and looked even more.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    You tried hl1 bhop? or bunny style jump spam?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    First i tryed HL1 bhopp but it didn't work, so i started to Jumpspam around the map and in circles with a bit wallclimbing. If you do that and take a look at forwardspeed, height and if you only jump ( always had CTRL pressed ofcourse not when I was climbing) at one place, you will see there is something really wrong with Skulk.

And a other thing is:

Try to Leap to a Power-Node and bite it, sometimes you get pushed away from the Node, but that's an other problem. I guess walls are more "sticky" than the nodes.

Greets

E: Some gramarcorrections. My englisch's bad, feel free to correct me!
    E2: "with-bug" solved
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Bunnyhopping for skulks is fine. I am sure they can implement something that makes it look good and fits in with the game.

Bunnyhopping for the marines is stupid. It looks stupid and everything.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    Right now there is no bunny hoping and I actually would seriously stop playing if they add it in.

I haven't had any issues with the skulk like you are describing. Could possibly be lag and you are "rubber banding" a little. Being pushed away from the power node sounds a bit like the issue with the comm chairs right now. Sometimes even though it's open you can't enter the chair and you get pushed out when you enter the middle.

Not related to the point and I really am no grammar nazi but please....spell With correctly. I can handle bad english but please...it's with not "whit".
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    It can't be lag, because it's also on lan.
    And I think my PC shouldn't be the problem.

Specs

Win7 ultimate x64
    I7 975 @3.7
    Hd5870
    12gb ram

Go on rockdown go to west and jump from RT side to the other and climb sometimes.
    At first everything is ok but sometimes you will get one of those bugs.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited May 2011
    For me, this bug is more noticeable as gorge.

edit: Actually I must be thinking of a different bug. I've never had this happen to me but I'll try to reproduce it.
    edited May 2011
    What lag on lan??

I am uploading a video now its up in 50min.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited May 2011
    Ok I figured it out. It's related to wall walking. If you get off a wall, you begin to be pushed in the opposite direction the wall is facing. The push affects you while you're in the air and it will say with you until you jump off from a different wall face.
    edited May 2011
    Ok here is the Video:
    <a href="http://anonym.to/?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCxqGffLNs" target="_blank">Klick for Video</a>

It's done on LAN, so there is <u><b>NO LAG</b></u>.
    FPS in game are 50-70 stable, so also no Graphic problems.
    Its recorded at 30 FPS
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    if you're running a lan there is still the possibility of the server not running at a consistent tickrate, which would produce lag-like symptoms.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1849387:date=May 31 2011, 06:15 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ May 31 2011, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's done on LAN, so there is <u><b>NO LAG</b></u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just because you're running a local server (LAN) does not mean you are not susceptible to connection problems and desynchronizations..

The data has an extremely short distance to travel, so the likelihood of the data getting backed up is extremely improbable, but I've managed to get "Connection Problems" even on a listen server, simply because the code is still rough, and things get through the cracks and gum up the works.
    edited May 2011
    My LAN Server runs at 30 Ticks per seconds Server Side and 88 Client Side.

And getting connection problems and fps loss on lan is easy. Build 10 sentries and add 15 Bots...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    from the video - different jump lengths is because skulk has speed ramp up time. When you spam jump im assuming your speed doesnt increase. Your stuck at the base speed you took your first jump from.
  • jurresmitsjurresmits Join Date: 2011-05-04 Member: 97075Members
    I've just tested what happened in that movie and it's true that you get blocked when going one direction, and u get boosted when going the other way. The easiest way to show there is some kind of flow effect is just standing at west in rockdown, same point as in the video, look at the western wall and just jump. This will make you move left during the jump.

btw first post on the forum :D
    Did a getsatisfaction post

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/skulk_does_random_jumps" target="_blank">Skulk Jump Bug</a>

If any of you can reproduce this pls +1 it! Its anoying.
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    I have this thing too. I was under the impression that it was already reported?

Sometimes skulk does a high jump and sometimes a low jump. :) The low jump is faster if you are running and jumping. You kinda get the feeling of a bunny hop but it's not. Also have that thing when you jump while standing still, you will be grabbed by the magical air flow. But yeah I guess that one has something to do with the wall climb like Jaweese suggested.