What else is needed before it gets released?

MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
I know it's probably open to change and there might not be an exact list but there must be a certain amount of content the devs want in game before they consider it release worthy, so ignoring bug fixes and optimization, how many maps, themes, weapons, structures, equipment, abilities and other game play features are we waiting for?

I imagine we need at least 8 to 12 official maps, another theme or a lot more general textures and models for mappers to use, proper infestation, onos, various alien abilities, heavy suit, jet pack, welder and various marine abilities...

Comments

• Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    Jetpack
    Exosuit
    Minigun / Dual Minigun Upgrade
    Welder... maybe
    Granades ? i think not
    MAC mines
    MAC Emp
    Nuke ?
    Motion Tracking ?

Onos
    Pustules
    Shade
    Shift
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    8 - 12 official maps???!!?! We have tram now - that's one. Mineshaft is coming soon or later. There's a third one....refinery?...coming some time. I'm only expecting those 3 official maps + summit and maybe one or two other fan maps makes a total of 5 or 6. It's enough don't you think, for a first release.

It's a bit much to expect another whole theme that would take ages. Some mappers are making cleaner looking 'high tech' maps which are visually very distinct from the current cave like maps.

Proper infestation is a must. It can't look like this graphic spray for a final release.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Id rather have 5 good maps then 5 good maps and 7 copies of the good ones.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    I may be wrong, but I think there was 4 maps planned for the innitial release. Tram, Mineshaft, biodome, and refinery (+summit).
    But there's no doubt we'll see plenty of great custom maps comming later, lots of mappers are waiting for the editor to be fixed a bit, and for the game to be smoother before getting back to there maps.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I saw a developer post a list of maps, I think it was Cory. And I think it was;
    Tram
    Summit
    Mineshaft
    Refinery
    Discovery
    Biodome
    I might have forgotten some of them.

I don't think that they are so sure about Rockdown becoming official. I don't really like it either, it feels too small and aliens have huge advantage on it compared to the other maps.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    That's almost there. The full list is:

Tram
    Summit
    Mineshaft
    Docking
    Refining
    Discovery

But bear in mind that this is subject to change.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852307:date=Jun 13 2011, 01:14 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 13 2011, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->8 - 12 official maps???!!?! We have tram now - that's one. Mineshaft is coming soon or later. There's a third one....refinery?...coming some time. I'm only expecting those 3 official maps + summit and maybe one or two other fan maps makes a total of 5 or 6. It's enough don't you think, for a first release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't think that was an unreasonable expectation, mainly because the majority of multiplayer games have at least 8, whether that includes more community ones going official or not i don't mind, it would just be nice to have a bit of variety.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a bit much to expect another whole theme that would take ages. Some mappers are making cleaner looking 'high tech' maps which are visually very distinct from the current cave like maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope we at least see a lot more general textures and models, i don't expect a full second theme on release but we definitely need more general stuff sooner or later otherwise maps will start to feel very similar, something i hope the community can work around but getting more general art will help with this a lot.

Also... Railgun?
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dont forget DI:

<i>Dynamic</i> Infestation.
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited June 2011
    Biodome is an art set that will consist of another set of maps and one of them might actually be called Biodome those will come much later.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    First NS2 expansion pack announced!
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    D: *puts 5$ aside*
  • Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852306:date=Jun 13 2011, 02:09 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jun 13 2011, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jetpack
    Exosuit
    Minigun / Dual Minigun Upgrade
    Welder... maybe
    Granades ? i think not
    MAC mines
    MAC Emp
    Nuke ?
    Motion Tracking ?

Onos
    Pustules
    Shade
    Shift<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NUUUUUUUUUUKEEEEEEEEEE! :D
    Would be awesome to blow em to hell.

oh yea, you forgot :

Spaceship combat :3
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I don't like the idea of a nuke :( even though we don't have any details.
    Sounds like its gonna be making draw games instead of alien wins. :/
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    -HMG/Minigun/Some upgrade for LMG that improves its firepower
    -Nades (?)
    -Onosses
    -Some new attacks for aliens
    -More alien structures
    -Dynamic infestation
    -Blood spatter, gore, slime, more creepyness! Abandoned space stations, taken over by some alien breed, shouldn't be a nice place to be. The NS2 engine is very capable of creating a certain atmosphere, devs could make even better use of it. Sound can add to that too.
    -Mines for rines, some kind of boobytrap for aliens
    -Performance fixing, the game currently runs awful (on pretty decent hardware)... though looks great too.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The devs don't want any gore in the game. Maybe someone will make a mod ^^
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    The question is what's the minimum necessary for version 1.0? I'd say the remaining units that are missing (JP, Heavy, and Rhino?), fix bugged server performance, add a normal bump to the Croach effect, and that's it. Bam! NS2 1.0. Then add any other content in point releases.

<!--quoteo(post=1852359:date=Jun 13 2011, 04:31 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 13 2011, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The devs don't want any gore in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huge mistake.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    Nuke?
    Do not want.

Maps?
    Yes please.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shift
    Shade
    Alien Upgrades
    Female Marines ( maybe even Female Gorges<3 )
    Onos
    Jp
    Exo
    Minigun
    Xenocyde
    Pustules
    More Maps
    Balance All Gold things
    Spark Editor Gold
    Dinamic Infest (like in the promotion Video)
    Performance Improvements
    Tesselation
    AA
    Multithread Support (if performance would be increased)
    DX11 ( because they want it for Consoles too, so WII 2 comes oit next year with DX11. Do a WII2 and NS2 release bundle!!!
    Autogramm Cards
    Hats
    And maybe a NS1 port to the new Engine

My wants!
  • mammajoe44mammajoe44 Join Date: 2011-06-04 Member: 102635Members
    Well there needs to be much improved spec features and demo recording and shoutcasting support. Maybe tv streams too.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    i want an idea generator for the editor
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    Correct me if it was canceled, but as far as i can see, noone has mentioned the railgun for exoskeleton which is also missing

Dolce & Lebowski
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    - 5-8 oficial maps.
    - Proper DI, not this spray thing.
    - Onos, heavy and jetpack.
    - And most important, massive performance and lag optimizations, it's not serious launching a game that cannot run fluid on a 1500 € modern PC.
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852536:date=Jun 14 2011, 10:52 AM:name=Karba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karba @ Jun 14 2011, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- And most important, massive performance and lag optimizations, it's not serious launching a game that cannot run fluid on a 1500 € modern PC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT

Also NS1 remake in NS2 engine would be awesome.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    not mentioning stuff already mentioned.

I'd like to see an effect when the nanites build stuff, like a faint cyan mist or a stream of particles like in Total Annihilation
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While I'm not expecting much for the v1.0 release, I would like to see the map editor get some love along the lines people have suggested <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112299" target="_blank">here</a>.