VOIP Volume

The-KillerThe-Killer Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62651Members
<div class="IPBDescription">VOIP Volume adjustment?</div>Maybe its just me, but I would hope not. But VOIP Volume seems quite low, even with headphones on. (I primarily use speakers)
Even with game volume on max, it seems to make it somewhat louder but also makes all other sounds loud as well, so that's somewhat annoying and not a solution.

Is there a cvar for VOIP volume? ex. in source games theres literally voice_scale, default is 1.

Ideally I would think there should be a slider in the options?

Comments

• PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    yeah everyone is so quiet in game I can not hear most of the people over mics
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    While we are in the topic of VoIP can we please show who is talking in the game HUD having to press tab is ridiculous.
  • The-KillerThe-Killer Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62651Members
    aye, that would be very nice, and dont want to make a habit, but just like every other source game does... :)
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=1859911:date=Jul 11 2011, 09:36 PM:name=The-Killer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The-Killer @ Jul 11 2011, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->aye, that would be very nice, and dont want to make a habit, but just like every other source game does... :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except that NS2 isn't using Source.
    Does anyone know if the volumes can be adjusted in the lua code?
    These seem possible, but hard to find documentation
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->bool Client.SetSoundParameter ( Entity , string , string , float , float )
    bool Client.SetSoundPropertyFloat ( Vector , integer , integer , float , bool )
    bool Client.SetSoundPropertyInt ( Vector , integer , integer , integer , bool )
    Client.SetSoundVolume ( float )<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    edited July 2011
    You know where the squad icons are? Put the person's name highlighted in white and a Microphone icon next to it.
  • BazZzBazZz Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109614Members
    I would love to see that going into the game soon...

We had an awesome game yesterday with great voice-usage especially from our alien commander.
    But each minute we had so many "sorry, didn't get you" - " can you repeat again please".

Very difficult to understand while munching on a powernode :)
  • Navi491Navi491 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109557Members
    I would seriously appreciate the ability/option to boost my microphones volume, because everyone ingame seems to have difficulty hearing me, but on other games, ventrilo, and teamspeak everyone seems to hear me fine without boosting my microphones volume.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1860335:date=Jul 13 2011, 12:15 PM:name=BazZz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BazZz @ Jul 13 2011, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to see that going into the game soon...

We had an awesome game yesterday with great voice-usage especially from our alien commander.
    But each minute we had so many "sorry, didn't get you" - " can you repeat again please".

Very difficult to understand while munching on a powernode :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And others seem to have problems understanding what I say when I'm munching on a piece of plastic. Which by the way was very flat in the end.
    edited July 2011
    So I made a lua script to display the players name if they talk.

Its not perfect, and yeah theres no little speaker icons. Ideally I think I need to draw a table like the scoreboard does but didn't feel like trying to figure it out.

I welcome people to try this out and improve it, just leave my name in the top if you can :)

Definitely need to hook the player disconnect event and then remove them from the array, could lead to wasted memory over a long game.

Put GUIVOIP.lua in the lua folder(ex C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\lua)

Then in Player_Client.lua line 1005 add this
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->GetGUIManager():CreateGUIScriptSingle("GUIVOIP")<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

GUIVOIP.lua
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->// GUIVOIP
    // By: The-Killer (killer@righttorule.com)
    //
    // VOIP talking indicator
    // Version: 0.1

class 'GUIVOIP' (GUIScript)

Script.Load("lua/NS2Gamerules.lua")

function GUIVOIP:Initialize()

self.talkers = {}
        self.numTalkers=0;

end

function GUIVOIP:Uninitialize()

for i, t in ipairs(self.talkers) do
            GUI.DestroyItem(t)
        end
        self.messages = nil
    end

function GUIVOIP:Update(deltaTime)
        local lPlayer = Client.GetLocalPlayer()
        //local players = GetGamerules():GetTeam(lPlayer:GetTeamNumber()):GetPlayers()

if(lPlayer ~= nil) then
        //if(false) then
            //local team = GUIScoreboard.teams[lPlayer:GetTeamNumber()]

//local playerList = team["PlayerList"]
            local playerList = GetEntitiesForTeam("Player", lPlayer:GetTeamNumber())

for index, player in pairs(playerList) do
                local clientIndex = player:GetClientIndex()
                if(clientIndex ~= nil) then
                    if ChatUI_GetClientMuted(clientIndex) then
                            self.talkers[clientIndex]:SetIsVisible(false)
                    elseif ChatUI_GetIsClientSpeaking(clientIndex) then
                        //PrintToLog("%s is speaking",clientIndex)
                        //PrintToLog("Num Talkers = %s",self.numTalkers)

if(self.talkers[clientIndex] == nil) then
                            self.talkers[clientIndex] = {}
                            self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"] = GUIManager:CreateTextItem()
                            self.talkers[clientIndex]["curTalkingIndex"]=1;
                        end

local alreadyTalking = self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:GetIsVisible()
                        if(not alreadyTalking) then
                            self.numTalkers=self.numTalkers+1;
                            self.talkers[clientIndex]["curTalkingIndex"] = self.numTalkers;
                        end

self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetFontSize(GUIScale(16))
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetAnchor(GUIItem.Left, GUIItem.Center)
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetTextAlignmentX(GUIItem.Align_Min)
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetTextAlignmentY(GUIItem.Align_Center)
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetText(Scoreboard_GetPlayerData(clientIndex, kScoreboardDataIndexName))
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetPosition(Vector(25, (self.talkers[clientIndex]["curTalkingIndex"] * GUIScoreboard.kPlayerItemHeight)+100, 0))
                        self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetIsVisible(true)
                    else
                        if(self.talkers[clientIndex] ~= nil) then
                            local alreadyTalking = self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:GetIsVisible()
                            if(alreadyTalking) then
                                self.numTalkers=self.numTalkers-1;
                            end
                            self.talkers[clientIndex]["textItem"]:SetIsVisible(false)
                        end
                    end
                end
            end
        end
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    Any word on if we will get a volume adjust for the voip in 181??
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bumping in hopes this will make it into B182. A separate volume controller for in-game VoIP is really needed. There are some players who I simply cannot hear above the ambient/entity sounds.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Maybe these are the standard settings from simon (their sound engineer) that has better sound equipment and better ears than everyone else. XD

But I think in one of the next patches we will get a major menu redesign. Wacko said something like that when telling that you need a console command to change the locale. I hope that VOIP settings and testing will make it in, too.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    Easiet way to salve this is to do it like in ns1. Everytime a person talks ingame, the ingame sounds will decrease automatlic from 100% to 70% procent (while the person is talking)
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864204:date=Jul 28 2011, 09:24 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 28 2011, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easiet way to salve this is to do it like in ns1. Everytime a person talks ingame, the ingame sounds will decrease automatlic from 100% to 70% procent (while the person is talking)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is needed along with a separate volume control, but yea I agree I am constantly finding myself asking others to repeat what they are saying.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864204:date=Jul 28 2011, 02:24 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 28 2011, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easiet way to salve this is to do it like in ns1. Everytime a person talks ingame, the ingame sounds will decrease automatlic from 100% to 70% procent (while the person is talking)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really don't like this, especially if I'm trying to hear something, or place a skulk sound
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    This would be handy! Nobody can really hear me when I use my mic unless its a quiet moment in the game :(
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1864262:date=Jul 28 2011, 09:24 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Jul 28 2011, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't like this, especially if I'm trying to hear something, or place a skulk sound<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I would really prefer a way to manually control the volumes. I know there is a current sound volume console command (ssv = set sound volume). Maybe they could just include a VoIP volume console command (svv = set voip volume)?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    agree with ScardyBob on this one
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a temporary solution for that, at least on Windows7.

Just right click the little speaker icon in the task bar near the clock and select "recording devices"
    (the name may differ, because I use a german version...)

In the upcoming window click the most right tab "communications"
    Then select downgrade volume to 50%

It works, but it is a little annoying as well, because there is no smooth fading... it just cuts from 100% to 50% and back to 100%.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864262:date=Jul 28 2011, 11:24 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Jul 28 2011, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't like this, especially if I'm trying to hear something, or place a skulk sound<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Add that as a option instead of forcing it, and a option to adjust just the incoming mic voices.