This thread is not about the Onos

WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(yes it is...)</div>I'll keep it short. We N-E-E-D the Onos!

Almost everything else is really at a point where we could be having some really awesome games. But as we all know almost all games come to a stale mate. I think w\ the new pathing system, Marines, if they have the upper hand, should now be able to crack alien bases.

But if Aliens have the upper hand, they just can't crack Marine bases. The Onos of course will fix this.

We need the Onos. Pretty please :)

Comments

• DJChangstaDJChangsta Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112378Members
    I wouldn't be surprised if they provide the onos in one of the upcoming updates. The game is coming along quite well now. I would guess that they wanted to add the onos in last as a final addition into the game.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Don't expect it any time soon. They responded about the onos a while ago and said while the model is obviously finished, none of the abilities are finished or even finalized yet.

You can still go in cheat mode, spawn an onos, shoot it, and hear the roar. Also the shade seems to have a "phantasm onos" abilities that puts an invisible onos on the map. :)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Introducing onos without introducing exos would be rather horrible, as marines already have to resort to human wave tactics to get anything done, giving aliens even more stuff will only make that worse.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    No, don't bring the onos till the mid-game is more balanced(which I think they said is what they are partly waiting for at a point). As it stands, the mid-game is a little unbalanced especially for the aliens. Aliens don't have any decent way to destroy buildings at this point in the game, there is bile bomb but it takes to long to get. The marines however have GL's, and ARC's. Not to mention that marines endgame does not exist either so bringing in only the aliens would not make any sense(JP's, heavy armor, etc).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863716:date=Jul 26 2011, 04:35 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Jul 26 2011, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, don't bring the onos till the mid-game is more balanced(which I think they said is what they are partly waiting for at a point). As it stands, the mid-game is a little unbalanced especially for the aliens. Aliens don't have any decent way to destroy buildings at this point in the game, there is bile bomb but it takes to long to get. The marines however have GL's, and ARC's. Not to mention that marines endgame does not exist either so bringing in only the aliens would not make any sense(JP's, heavy armor, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

to compliment the definition of "beta", a game should be feature complete before balances are made. same goes for optimizations. but i see them only having enough time / resources for one or the other and given the fact they have an active playerbase that screams at anything unplayable or balanced - i see why they chose this path first.
    still. the game needs content badly. its been a good minute (phasegates? then what before that, infestation placeholder?) since we've had anything substantial altough the new fade is kickass. content is just as important - especially if its integral to the gameplay - i.e. end game mechanics as Exo and Onos. just my 2 cents.

either way, i'm loving the updates and the info and they should have adverts on this site to generate income for the traffic as their pre order is more of an ongoing "service" with the community involvement and leads me to visit far too often. :)

p.s. JP would not unbalance the game too greatly, would be easy to implement, and would be a great counter to the fade currently.. would hold us off for a bit .. hint hint.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    UWE already said that the Heavy, Jet Pack and Onos will be released together.
  • IgelIgel Join Date: 2011-05-06 Member: 97403Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well i think it is about time that they release onos, ha and jp.

I feel very lost as alien at endgame because the rines can fully upgrade armor and weapons... this really sucks :(
    Hard as a skulk! Even as Fade it is very hard (flamethrower, argh!)
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863716:date=Jul 26 2011, 11:35 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Jul 26 2011, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens don't have any decent way to destroy buildings at this point in the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know, apart from the skulk. Skulks much through buildings hella fast. I think one of the issues is that Summit isn't really a well balanced map for the current state of the game. It was designed for 170 (I think) play, and now the game is very different. One big issue with summit I think is it's very difficult for the aliens to get a third RT. Crevice is very out of the way, as you already spend most of your pustules moving towards SA. If you can't get SA quickly then you're stuck at fairly low resources. This will definitely become more apparent when the shift and shade come in.

Just a side-note, how about an upgrade on the shade that makes pustules invisible?
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    Ya completely off topic, but I hope the alien upgrades make u choose trade offs, currently you just always research all of the upgrades which is kinda silly IMO. In NS1 you had to choose trade offs. I know there pretty much not in at all right now, so this will probably come true :)
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Speaking of, was "fade damage not upgrading from melee upgrades" fixed in 182?
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863863:date=Jul 27 2011, 08:12 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Jul 27 2011, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, apart from the skulk. Skulks much through buildings hella fast. I think one of the issues is that Summit isn't really a well balanced map for the current state of the game. It was designed for 170 (I think) play, and now the game is very different. One big issue with summit I think is it's very difficult for the aliens to get a third RT. Crevice is very out of the way, as you already spend most of your pustules moving towards SA. If you can't get SA quickly then you're stuck at fairly low resources. This will definitely become more apparent when the shift and shade come in.

Just a side-note, how about an upgrade on the shade that makes pustules invisible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true, but after marines have lvl 3 in armor and weapons with shotguns/flames/gl's they don't stand a chance. But I do agree with the map, it's a pain in the ass to get that third node.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    here is an idea, when an onos dies skulks can hide underneath it
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    we need the whole Tier 3 implemented at once, not partially :(

I dont see this happenning too soon, since tier 1 is not completely bugfree and balanced, not to mention tier 2 (advanced armory / 2nd hive). but I completely agree with the strategy to first fix and balance everything we have right now available. it should be possible though to break marine "bunkers" without the onos. Minigun and exosuit will make bunkering stronger, the onos should bring that in balance and not tier 2 bunkering.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    Because the onos will not be releaset until autumn (ig guess) or maybe winter we need an alternative for the aliens to take out the marine base.

...And I think what we need is <b><u>Xenocide</u></b>!

Xenocide was a very powerful attack against marines and did TWICE damage against structures in a fairly large radius.
    Just imagine 5 skulks running into the base and commiting xenocide.
    lets say 2 skulks get shot before they explode, but 3 exploding skulks should do enough damage to kill a sentry turret (or more because of the radius).

But the xenocide should need at least 3 hives until the aliens are able to research it, or even 4 hives so that xenocie is only an endgame finisher.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864153:date=Jul 28 2011, 02:55 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Jul 28 2011, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because the onos will not be releaset until autumn (ig guess) or maybe winter we need an alternative for the aliens to take out the marine base.

...And I think what we need is <b><u>Xenocide</u></b>!

Xenocide was a very powerful attack against marines and did TWICE damage against structures in a fairly large radius.
    Just imagine 5 skulks running into the base and commiting xenocide.
    lets say 2 skulks get shot before they explode, but 3 exploding skulks should do enough damage to kill a sentry turret (or more because of the radius).

But the xenocide should need at least 3 hives until the aliens are able to research it, or even 4 hives so that xenocie is only an endgame finisher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i have never seen four hives in one game, rarely even three for that matter.how about it needing a expensive initial research then a cheap 1pres
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1863888:date=Jul 27 2011, 07:44 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Jul 27 2011, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of, was "fade damage not upgrading from melee upgrades" fixed in 182?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not yet... It is a problem that affects Lerks' machine gun Spikes as well, since they do Light damage (instead of Normal, which is the only damage type that receives upgrades). The other weapons that receive no benefit from weapon/attack upgrades (but should) are Pistol, Healing Spray, (and those questionable ones:) Flamethrower, Axe, and Grenade Launcher.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1863863:date=Jul 27 2011, 03:12 PM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Jul 27 2011, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, apart from the skulk. Skulks much through buildings hella fast. I think one of the issues is that Summit isn't really a well balanced map for the current state of the game. It was designed for 170 (I think) play, and now the game is very different. One big issue with summit I think is it's very difficult for the aliens to get a third RT. Crevice is very out of the way, as you already spend most of your pustules moving towards SA. If you can't get SA quickly then you're stuck at fairly low resources. This will definitely become more apparent when the shift and shade come in.

Just a side-note, how about an upgrade on the shade that makes pustules invisible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can reach both generator and crevice with three cysts. My usual opening is to drop three cysts to generator, send one drifter to gen and the other to crevice, then three cysts to crevice, build generator, build whip, build crevice, upgrade melee one, then leave commander and go fight until its time build second hive.
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    On the topic of cysts, I hope they have some sort of line drawn between the cyst you are connecting from, and the ghost one you are trying to place. And have the line go red when it's invalid, would make placing cysts much more enjoyable.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864178:date=Jul 28 2011, 12:14 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Jul 28 2011, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can reach both generator and crevice with three cysts. My usual opening is to drop three cysts to generator, send one drifter to gen and the other to crevice, then three cysts to crevice, build generator, build whip, build crevice, upgrade melee one, then leave commander and go fight until its time build second hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I wrote this I was still under the assumption that cysts needed line of sight for each other, so it's not so relevant now
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They just added a pretty big patch, the 183. Onos tiem?
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    They could add Exo Suit right now, for the fades, then Butt-flap Jetpacks and Onos later around 185.