Alien health/armor increases with # hives

HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
What do you guys think of increasing alien health as they capture more hives? Something like +10% per hive. That would put more pressure on both sides to fight for hives and help aliens with 4 hives finally crush marine turtles. We may need to lower base 1-hive health to compensate for this.

Comments

• RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    No, turtles can only not be beaten by terribads who all go fades and lerks, turtles are easily beaten by aliens teams that work together and use gorges to bilebomb turret farms.
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Honestly, you barely even need to work together, I typically go skulk first, gather up a bunch of res, then when I've got 60 or so, go gorge, cyst chain to their door, throw hydras up, and then lob bile bombs into their base while forcing them to contend with my hydra garden while I decimate things. Turret farms are only a problem when your commander doesn't get bile bomb in a reasonable period of time and you don't gather enough resources to take them down yourself.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    So two replies regarding breaking turtling marines, but none that address the suggested idea.
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    With the onos coming eventually, I don't think we need another method to break turtling marines and I don't think having health tied to multiple hives is such a good idea. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of my stats being tied to anything other than how well I play for the most part.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Wasen't there something like that in NS1? Boosted stats with more hives?
    I like it
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    I guess a health increase would be a simple way to increase the power of aliens as they conquer more territory, while not ruining the fun for the Marines too much (unlike one-hit-kill). I like it.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866872:date=Aug 6 2011, 03:23 AM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Aug 6 2011, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So two replies regarding breaking turtling marines, but none that address the suggested idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the replys were pretty obvious, but allow me to put them in terms you can understand.

"This is not needed as only baddies have issues with turtling marines."
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    As far as I've understood, the 2nd hive is already a huge deal. Maybe the later hives, but I think the 2nd hive usually risks being too important rather than the other way round.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    put this in:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9RlfAF4DQU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9RlfAF4DQU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

and you can end stalements. with high number of hives you can spam cysts and whips to crush the marines' base.

and, instead of a damage / health increase, i would like to see something different:
    let the personal res income scale with the number of captured tech points. As you know, the marines don't really have the reason to drop a 2nd CC, and the p.res income is quite low currently. So it could speed up games a bit, where 1 team is obviously dominating
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    i dunno, i like it i guess.
    But when i see the big picture: theres 5 techpoints on a map, if aliens have 3 of those, theyre pretty much buff with all their upgrades and then these passive hive increases youre talking about. Its basically become too easy.
    Marines need to see a light at the end of a tunnel even when it appears theyre losing. That light wont be there if such a feature was in.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1866965:date=Aug 6 2011, 09:50 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 6 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->put this in:

and you can end stalements. with high number of hives you can spam cysts and whips to crush the marines' base.

and, instead of a damage / health increase, i would like to see something different:
    let the personal res income scale with the number of captured tech points. As you know, the marines don't really have the reason to drop a 2nd CC, and the p.res income is quite low currently. So it could speed up games a bit, where 1 team is obviously dominating<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol! I see the whip walk attack didn't work out so well. I guess I question the usefulness of bombard as currently conceived. Its basically an anti-structure weapon, but marines usually don't build structures in the range of alien structures (cause the aliens will just bite them to death anyways). However, if you try to walk the whip into range of marine structures, they die because they are highly vulnerable. Although, currently the TRes loss isn't a big deal, the drifter/hive energy loss is. IMO, either some part of the whip attack process (health buff, faster walking speed, reduced damage from sentries while walking) needs to be improved or the bombards purpose changed.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    After thinking about hive 2 and hive 3 abilities, I have no idea how aliens would benefit from 4 hives other than: a health / armor/ damage increase (passive to all life-forms) once the 4th hive is up. something like 30%. It would be overkill, since 3 hives should already mean: marines lost. But due to map layout, and once we have T3 in the game, maybe those 30% buff could be a reason for marines do deny a fourth hive to keep their chance alive to win? Also the aliens would have a reason to capture a fourth hive, beside the fact of more eggs available and having a "backup" hive.