Different kind of eggs

inFamous FighterinFamous Fighter Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109262Members
edited September 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<u>Summary</u>:
I was thinking it would be cool if while morphing you change egg shape, size and look. For example hive eggs that let players spawn are one kind of eggs. Once you spawn and change into a gorge per-say the egg gets a slightly different textured egg and maybe a little bigger because a gorge is bigger than a skulk. A skulk egg would look like a hive egg because you spawn as a skulk. The onos egg should be significantly bigger because such a big animal in reality wouldn't be able to come out of the same size egg as a skulk does. And a fade should also come out of an egg bigger than a skulk or lerk, but way smaller than an onos.

<u>Pro</u>:<ul><li>More realism</li><li>Better strategy for marines to attack certain eggs. (i.e.- Attack morphing eggs)</li><li>Get better understanding of how this will work, so you have more chances to mess with this before release</li></ul>

<u>Cons</u>:<ul><li>Significant more coding</li><li>Cause more lag (maybe?)</li><li>Not needed till game is almost released</li></ul>

<u>Overview</u>:
Different kinds of aliens morphing = different sizes, shapes, and textures.

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    +1 definitely needs to be in the game, but this is cosmetic, so I doubt we'd see it soon.
  • inFamous FighterinFamous Fighter Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872947:date=Sep 3 2011, 02:37 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 3 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 definitely needs to be in the game, but this is cosmetic, so I doubt we'd see it soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. But also I think it would still add to the game because it would add more of a strategy. Because this would force aliens to find a spot to morph, not just morph next to a hive and blend in.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    I don't think is necessary. The eggs are fine how they are now; imho.

Blending in, something the aliens need.
  • inFamous FighterinFamous Fighter Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872949:date=Sep 3 2011, 02:42 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Sep 3 2011, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think is necessary. The eggs are fine how they are now; imho.

Blending in, something the aliens need.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with you there, aliens need to be able to blend in, but not while morphing. I think while morphing you are at your weakest state. Correct? So while you're weak you should want to, or almost be forced to be moved to a more secret place. Also how does an Onos come out of the same size an egg as a skulk does?
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Are you suggesting an Onos needs a giant egg?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Alien egg blending in <b>IS</b> the defense against marines killing you while evolving. Making it any harder would just be an extra, unnecessary addition to the learning curve for newbs.
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    I'd rather see Crag Hives make eggs with more HP, Shade Hives make camo eggs, and shift hives could speed up evolution time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1872961:date=Sep 3 2011, 03:38 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 3 2011, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-1

Alien egg blending in <b>IS</b> the defense against marines killing you while evolving. Making it any harder would just be an extra, unnecessary addition to the learning curve for newbs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.
    Marines killing evolving eggs is a rarity at best. If anything they should be more exposed/apparent as killing evolving aliens is not really an issue in this game, despite it being a game dynamic.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872951:date=Sep 3 2011, 07:43 PM:name=inFamous Fighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (inFamous Fighter @ Sep 3 2011, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also how does an Onos come out of the same size an egg as a skulk does?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nanites.
  • LeegionLeegion Join Date: 2011-08-22 Member: 117882Members
    I reckon you should be able to gestate in to another character on the walls and roofs too, a lerk in a sack egg on the roof would be awesome :P
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872999:date=Sep 4 2011, 03:24 AM:name=Leegion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leegion @ Sep 4 2011, 03:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I reckon you should be able to gestate in to another character on the walls and roofs too, a lerk in a sack egg on the roof would be awesome :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skulk with camo sneaks into marines spawn, goes to the roof and evolves into gorge...

OPERATION JUMBO DROP!
  • jergodzjergodz Join Date: 2011-05-20 Member: 99745Members
    Grab yourself a modeling program and go make some custom egg models then, if the quality is equal to the current egg model I'm sure they will consider using them. UWE has plenty much to do already.
    <!--quoteo(post=1873035:date=Sep 4 2011, 09:01 AM:name=jergodz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jergodz @ Sep 4 2011, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Grab yourself a modeling program and go make some custom egg models then, if the quality is equal to the current egg model I'm sure they will consider using them. UWE has plenty much to do already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This sort of post is inflammatory and besides the point.
  • LeegionLeegion Join Date: 2011-08-22 Member: 117882Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1873024:date=Sep 4 2011, 08:03 PM:name=Topper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Topper @ Sep 4 2011, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk with camo sneaks into marines spawn, goes to the roof and evolves into gorge...

OPERATION JUMBO DROP!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahahaha, that would be awesome. Or the whole team sneak in to marine spawn, gestate on roof. Mass Onos drop.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1873048:date=Sep 4 2011, 02:53 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 4 2011, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This sort of post is inflammatory and besides the point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Inflammatory, maybe. Besides the point, definitely not. UWE have already attempted to avoid adding buildings into the game solely to avoid having to create new models for them. Adding different buildings to the game is certainly far more important to gameplay than different looking eggs. So, I think it's entirely justified if people want a variety of eggs, they should create their own models with equal quality to the current eggs.

I would much rather see UWE devote their time to creating models that are important to evolution of gameplay than creating models that just make the game "look nicer".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1873073:date=Sep 4 2011, 08:37 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Sep 4 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Inflammatory, maybe. Besides the point, definitely not. UWE have already attempted to avoid adding buildings into the game solely to avoid having to create new models for them. Adding different buildings to the game is certainly far more important to gameplay than different looking eggs. So, I think it's entirely justified if people want a variety of eggs, they should create their own models with equal quality to the current eggs.

I would much rather see UWE devote their time to creating models that are important to evolution of gameplay than creating models that just make the game "look nicer".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone could make an egg mod if they wanted, but I wouldn't want them in vanilla NS2.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Wasn't there some talk a while back about some sort of ethereal eggs?
    I recall there being some at least, but whether that was dev talk or just pure speculation/suggestions from the community I can't remember.

At any rate, what was being said was that eggs would have a more ethereal look to them, and both structures and aliens alike would be surrounded in a see-through film when evolving/upgrading. Whichever thing they evolve into would be visible through the film, and slowly scale up to the correct size before the "see-through film"/egg burst.
  • LosbadLosbad Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11195Members
    The Onus could spawn from the Hive.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited September 2011
    I always found the idea of evolution in NS as a reversal to the base genetic code before undergoing change (much akin to the zerg in SC2).
    The most cosmetic change I'd like to see is texture change of the egg as it nears completion and perhaps enlargement which progresses with the evolution timer.

For example upon evolving into a gorge, from 60-70% upwards should see infestation or a greenish tinge blot parts of the egg along with slight enlargement of the egg.

This in my opinion would be much better than a skulk turning into a gigantic cocoon instantaneously along with adding a certain thrill upon completion if outside of safe territory
    i.e: the threat increases with the decreasing evolution timing.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    i think it would be just fine if we had the eggs Enlarge just before they burst? like the onos egging will grow rapidly huge in its last five seconds of gestation period, i think this would be fantastic for two reasons:

removes the problem of what people said earlier, "too easy for marines to pick out the right eggs now"

And this idea should satisfy the fact that eggs are different.

who agrees.
    Personally I'm all for the different eff sizes, and as for making evolved eggs too unique, I think they need to be, getting killed as an alien evolving is basically non-existant for me, and I'm sure it's the same for others as well. It's currently basically an unused game dynamic.