The infamous Black Screen

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
edited September 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Need input from the community!</div>Hey everyone,
So, ScardyBob and I are trying to figure out a "how-to" to reproduce the black screen so we can help solve the issue and have UWE fix it once and for all! It has been hurting public and competitive play heavily in the recent months and I want to try and put all these awesome brains together and help UWE check this PITA bug off their list once and for all.

Any suggestions/input for anyone?

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    If it does happen to you, bring down the console and see if you've recieved an error with a stack-trace (lot's of Lua-files will be mentioned), take a screenshot of it.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1874846:date=Sep 15 2011, 10:12 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Sep 15 2011, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it does happen to you, bring down the console and see if you've recieved an error with a stack-trace (lot's of Lua-files will be mentioned), take a screenshot of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It only seems to happen client side when the round is restarted (om_restartround). Is there a command to restart round on a server that is not running GameOvermind?
    "reset", cheats need to be enabled.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I'm sure you guys are already doing this, but I suggest to record as much data as you can to find a pattern.
    Which team won, what were you when you died? What state were you in? (hp, armor, did you destroy something at game end?)

Which hive/cc was destroyed last?

One thing I've noticed is when I black screen, is that others who also blackscreened have their voice boxes displayed as if they are still on a team (yellow or blue),rather than no-team grey. Could this be indicative of players being caught in a transitional step between the last game and the server controlled movement into the ready room?
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    Because of the rumors that GameOvermind is the reason of the black screens we didn't install it to our pub.eu server. Instead I made an own implementation to restart a round over the web interface. We tried it many times over the last couple days and even on a full server there were no blackscreens to anyone! I'll will post to you as soon as a blackscreen appears. I'am also hoping that UWE/Community founds the real reason soon!

Apart from that I noticed that voice is still working if I get a blackscreen, you probably already know that BUT I got a Blackscreen as I was a marine and while the real round was running I could hear the alien team speaking and they also could hear me with voice (but just me! and they saw my name in marine blue)! Very strange, maybe that piece of the puzzle helps somebody how as a more overall picture of the game/engine code.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited September 2011
    i got it just after joining a game right when it ended ive never had it happen when someone purposefully restarted the round so using that to reproduce the bug probably wont work and its so random when it happens i still dont see how overmind is causing it as 80%of the servers are running the mod thats the only reason i think people say it is overmind that is causing it.

you will just have to go about killing the hive or command chair to try and reproduce it. or another suggestion is if turning off cheats still ends the game keep doing that till it does it.

also voice and chat never seam to work for me when it happens.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1874851:date=Sep 15 2011, 11:01 AM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ Sep 15 2011, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because of the rumors that GameOvermind is the reason of the black screens we didn't install it to our pub.eu server. Instead I made an own implementation to restart a round over the web interface. We tried it many times over the last couple days and even on a full server there were no blackscreens to anyone! I'll will post to you as soon as a blackscreen appears. I'am also hoping that UWE/Community founds the real reason soon!

Apart from that I noticed that voice is still working if I get a blackscreen, you probably already know that BUT I got a Blackscreen as I was a marine and while the real round was running I could hear the alien team speaking and they also could hear me with voice (but just me! and they saw my name in marine blue)! Very strange, maybe that piece of the puzzle helps somebody how as a more overall picture of the game/engine code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the reason why they were able to here you is because the initial 15 second round after the om_restartround is completed has cheats enabled (which allows all talk), then after the second restart, you are no longer able to hear each other.

You have have black screened after the initial restart and was able to communicate with them while you had a black screen :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1874850:date=Sep 15 2011, 10:49 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 15 2011, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure you guys are already doing this, but I suggest to record as much data as you can to find a pattern.
    Which team won, what were you when you died? What state were you in? (hp, armor, did you destroy something at game end?)

Which hive/cc was destroyed last?

One thing I've noticed is when I black screen, is that others who also blackscreened have their voice boxes displayed as if they are still on a team (yellow or blue),rather than no-team grey. Could this be indicative of players being caught in a transitional step between the last game and the server controlled movement into the ready room?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    These are the algorithms that I am trying to create to better assist UWE with fixing it. If anyone can help test this, I would greatly appreciate it! I do not get back from work until later tonight, so I will be unable to test until then :sadface:!
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1874854:date=Sep 15 2011, 05:22 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 15 2011, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the reason why they were able to here you is because the initial 15 second round after the om_restartround is completed has cheats enabled (which allows all talk), then after the second restart, you are no longer able to hear each other.

You have have black screened after the initial restart and was able to communicate with them while you had a black screen :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, I guess a was not clear enougth. But with:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got a Blackscreen as I was a marine and while the<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> real round<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> was running I could hear the alien team speaking...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I meant the real game state >after< that countdown. Also the other players were really wondering about that ^^
    <!--quoteo(post=1874864:date=Sep 15 2011, 12:46 PM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ Sep 15 2011, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, I guess a was not clear enougth. But with:

I meant the real game state >after< that countdown. Also the other players were really wondering about that ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was the server running GameOvermind?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1874853:date=Sep 15 2011, 08:15 AM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Sep 15 2011, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i got it just after joining a game right when it ended ive never had it happen when someone purposefully restarted the round so using that to reproduce the bug probably wont work and its so random when it happens i still dont see how overmind is causing it as 80%of the servers are running the mod thats the only reason i think people say it is overmind that is causing it.

you will just have to go about killing the hive or command chair to try and reproduce it. or another suggestion is if turning off cheats still ends the game keep doing that till it does it.

also voice and chat never seam to work for me when it happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    156 ran one of our servers without ovrmind for a while to see if it was ovrmind related and people were still getting blackscreens, so I don't think its caused by the admin mod. I suspect that since it most commonly happens after the 15s round reset, since ovrmind can do this very easily, it just makes it more common.

Also, as vizionz mentioned, if anyone can record a video or screenshot of a blackscreen happening (including a look at the console), it would greatly help us track this annoying bug down.
    edited September 2011
    The only error I've been able to scrape (server side) was:
    <blockquote>Script Error: lua/NetworkMessages_Server.lua:59: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value)
              lua/NetworkMessages_Server.lua:59</blockquote>
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    Blackscreen happens on game start, and game end.
    It almost always happens for several players at the same time.
    And I find that it happens alot more often for me, when I for example look at the map or the scores or something. Basicly when I'm touching anything.
    Hope the devs can use this thread to find the problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1874867:date=Sep 15 2011, 07:08 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 15 2011, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was the server running GameOvermind?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah it was on HBZ and also just in the moment the round started as usually but I didn't disconnected for reading in the console and then I could hear the aliens taking about what they are doing currently and I just tried if they could here me also, and they could ^^ Maybe you could try it your self next time to proof that, maybe it was just a random bug but I don't think so.
  • ProtatoProtato Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118289Members
    edited September 2011
    I used to have it happen very often but could never figure out the cause. I have not had a black screen in a long time now. The only thing thats really changed in my game play is that when i join teams i do so from the console commands, and never by moving in the ready room.

Relevant/not who knows.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It happens without overmind btw, just tends to happen more with it on.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[B186] Black Screen Bug has appeared with status Started<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <3
    <!--quoteo(post=1874967:date=Sep 16 2011, 01:26 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Sep 16 2011, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    [B186] Black Screen Bug has appeared with status Started<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <3
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah! Did they finally found a way to reproduce it or the reason?
    <!--quoteo(post=1874971:date=Sep 16 2011, 08:09 AM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ Sep 16 2011, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><3

Yeah! Did they finally found a way to reproduce it or the reason?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After much testing we are on the right track to figuring out how this happens and how we can stop it. No promises for 186, but I'm sure UWE would love to fix this once and for all!

Stay tuned :)
    edited September 2011
    They could just delay the next patch, and then we might also get a few more fixes/features. :P
    Blackscreen is really that annoying when you play alot. :)
    I don't mind playing 185 a bit longer :P

Edit: The delivered tasks for 186 is already looking great!
    186 is by far going to be my favorite build regardless if the blackscreen gets squeezed in or not! The Alien Forever bug and Blackscreen has plagued NS2 for too long and UWE wants to vaccinated them once and for all by the looks of it :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1874979:date=Sep 16 2011, 01:37 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 16 2011, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->186 is by far going to be my favorite build regardless if the blackscreen gets squeezed in or not!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    Black screened,

-black screened after a very short game
    -aliens won, skulk-rushed MS: destroying infantry portal(s)
    -round took around 2mins
    -i was on the aliens team
    -previous game; marines won (long round/1hrish?)

Console error messages:

ViewModel:GetPoseParam(arm_loop): Parameter name doesn't exist - Client
    GetLightsForPowerPoint(powerPoint): Couldn't find location entity named - Client
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We figured out that you can reproduce the problem on a local server by turning on cheats (cheats 1 in console) and then spamming the reset command until you blackscreen. However, I'm not sure that this is useful enough to figure out the source of the problem.
    Well well, first phantom-clients, now the black-screens: 2 - nil for GmOvrmind. I'll be expecting sexual favors from the guy that does the 3rd wrongful accusation.

That's not to say you should stop reporting suspicious behaviour, just make sure you're dressed for the occasion.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875196:date=Sep 17 2011, 02:32 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Sep 17 2011, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well well, first phantom-clients, now the black-screens: 2 - nil for GmOvrmind. I'll be expecting sexual favors from the guy that does the 3rd wrongful accusation.

That's not to say you should stop reporting suspicious behaviour, just make sure you're dressed for the occasion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol

On a serious note, I'd like to buy a vowel - Overmind.. Ovrmind.. it drives my OCD insane, yes, I accuse you of this! :D
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875204:date=Sep 17 2011, 03:21 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Sep 17 2011, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol

On a serious note, I'd like to buy a vowel - Overmind.. Ovrmind.. it drives my OCD insane, yes, I accuse you of this! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    haha, yeah, I hear you! It does tickle my pickle that for some reason the E was dropped. Maybe there is something behind it like when your Welding and trying to type you can't type the letter E? Who knows!

Anywho, has anyone else got any console dumps for us to supply UWE with more information? Come on guys, we all hate it but very few are participating in getting error reports!

To produce black screens, do the following:
    <blockquote>- Create your own server
    - Join a team (do not stay in ready room)
    - In console type "cheats 1"
    - In console type "reset"
    - Repeat the reset command until you black screen.
    - Disconnect and if your console shoots out any error codes, please post them here!
    * Repeat the above process and gather as much as you can. The console doesn't always produce script errors :(</blockquote>
    I've noticed player names on the scoreboard remaining after a round end (and the players usually dont' seem to be in the server anymore). Could this be related to black screens? Definitely worth checking out.
    <!--quoteo(post=1875530:date=Sep 19 2011, 10:24 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 19 2011, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've noticed player names on the scoreboard remaining after a round end (and the players usually dont' seem to be in the server anymore). Could this be related to black screens? Definitely worth checking out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you don't mind, could you produce a system or reproducing the issue or provide some screenies? That way I can try to reproduce the issue on my end :)
    The next time someone I have contact with, or myself, gets a black screen, I will check for the corresponding last-game score sheet entry.