PT Mods Wallhopping

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
edited September 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Feedback</div><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0sKcJRuUdF4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0sKcJRuUdF4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
As you can see, I was playing around with the current Walljumping system in the PT Mod. I think it is way to OP right now and should require the user to use more walls to maintain the speed I maintained throughout the map. Many many many more walls should be getting used to maintain that speed :x.

Please post your feedback/suggestions on this system :()

Comments

• TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    I don't know how the hell you weren't losing speed but wallhopping looks awesome!
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876301:date=Sep 22 2011, 05:14 PM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Sep 22 2011, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how the hell you weren't losing speed but wallhopping looks awesome!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And IMHO it really should NOT be in the game, its beyond unrealistic, and was originally a bug in HL1.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876303:date=Sep 22 2011, 06:20 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 22 2011, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And IMHO it really should NOT be in the game, its beyond unrealistic, and was originally a bug in HL1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be bunny hopping.

Wall hopping is something that's been suggested as a "replacement" for BH for skulks only.
    What the PT mod is at currently though is only an accelerated walljump(or jumps) where you don't lose that accel as long as you keep jumping even when hitting the floor.

Hopefully a more generally likable solution that won't be compared to BH will surface some time soon.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    it's little bit more than that, but it needs improvement. wasn't working on it quite some time already :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876303:date=Sep 22 2011, 06:20 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 22 2011, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And IMHO it really should NOT be in the game, its beyond unrealistic, and was originally a bug in HL1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not this ###### again. Who gives a flying hoot about realism anyway.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in that video, no idea what's going on but the movement-speed makes it a bit more like NS1 again, which is always a +1 in my book.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876303:date=Sep 22 2011, 12:20 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 22 2011, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And IMHO it really should NOT be in the game, its beyond unrealistic, and was originally a bug in HL1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All I can ever do is laugh at statements like this, this is why the gaming industry is suffering so hard for skill basd games now a days.

Realistic? Aliens such as skulks, gorges, infestation and hives is realistic? that's news to me. It's a video game, it's not real life, that's why were all here to begin with. It's about funfactor and gameplay and the guy that posted the PT Mod wallhopping is on to something.

When the developers created NS1 they had every intention about bunnyhopping and it was a bug in Half-Life's engine, but it wasn't a bug in NS1, it was intended, with out it, NS1 wouldn't have became the game it was.

Counter-Strike 1.6 still has micro bunnyhopping in it, source has bhopping in it still, why? because it requires more skill and allows the user to express himself in the game as much as possible. The more you hold a player back from movement and choices, the less fun and interesting the game becomes. The reason for this is because, if everyone is at the same level, then there is no room for growth for players and teams. Stacking on each others heads n cs 1.6 was unrealistic, but allowing it, made the game 10x more interesting eg: you could boost players, stack for save rounds, stack players on top of each other for save rounds or defensive rounds.

I bet you when NS2 goes live and there are a ton of mods with things such as this, more people will play these mods then the original game because gameplay is what matters, not realism.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2011
    Lets stick to the topic guys, feedback only, no nerd wars :)

Here is the latest version:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa2nq7uNjAA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa2nq7uNjAA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    So.. can you use PT mod on any server? I'm kind of confused, are there mods out there that can give advantages to people in public games right now?
    <!--quoteo(post=1876330:date=Sep 22 2011, 01:51 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 22 2011, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lets stick to the topic guys, feedback only, no nerd wars :)

Here is the latest version:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa2nq7uNjAA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oa2nq7uNjAA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is a war though, because the majority will always be the players that want a watered down system that relates to "realism" and it kills the game before it even starts. Every single next generation game to date has been butchered to death to massive corporations and waves of newbs that want the game cattered to their gameplay standards, so they can compete, which is why there is no e-sport games occuring right now, except for trash like sc2.

The more slow / controlled gameplay implemented in to a game, the less skill curve there is which leads to boredem very quickly.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    What part of that is 'wall' hopping?

You're just bouncing along on the ground, it's bunnyhopping.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1876336:date=Sep 22 2011, 02:13 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 22 2011, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What part of that is 'wall' hopping?

You're just bouncing along on the ground, it's bunnyhopping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Schimmel implemented it wrong and the user will slow down after a few jumps off a wall/surface. In these videos, you are able to maintain speed by continued space bar inputs (jumps).
  • LaggasaurusLaggasaurus Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22773Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1876336:date=Sep 22 2011, 07:13 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 22 2011, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What part of that is 'wall' hopping?

You're just bouncing along on the ground, it's bunnyhopping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The part where he's using a single jump each time he lands to launch forward rather than spamming jump to nullify friction when he lands to maintain momentum. He's just jumping on the floor in the video but this could easily be used to launch off walls and railings too.

On a side note you've just made me realise there's a veil remake :D
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876343:date=Sep 22 2011, 02:38 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 22 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Schimmel implemented it wrong and the user will slow down after a few jumps off a wall/surface. In these videos, you are able to maintain speed by continued space bar inputs (jumps).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I think it will be interesting once it's working as intended
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1876336:date=Sep 22 2011, 11:13 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 22 2011, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What part of that is 'wall' hopping?

This

I always pictured wall hopping more like the L4D1/2 hunter (i.e. you have to time the jump+direction to keep momentum). This just seems like a recreation of bhopping.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Wall hopping is something we've been wanting to try out as a possible replacement for Bunny hopping. We asked Schimmel if he would like to help us out with it and we've been working closely with him on it's implementation. These videos are showing an early stage, and not the final correct implementation (such as the fact that the speed is being maintained just on the floor and not from having to jump off walls). So, probably a bit too early to discuss this.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1876354:date=Sep 22 2011, 03:08 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 22 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wall hopping is something we've been wanting to try out as a possible replacement for Bunny hopping. We asked Schimmel if he would like to help us out with it and we've been working closely with him on it's implementation. These videos are showing an early stage, and not the final correct implementation (such as the fact that the speed is being maintained just on the floor and not from having to jump off walls). So, probably a bit too early to discuss this.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds good, I am glad you guys aren't selling out like all the other mass of games out there have done. The fact that your looking in to a replacement for bhopping is a great sign and I tip my hat to you and your team of developers!
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Step into correct direction, I dig the speed skulk feels more of a predator than a scavenger.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1876328:date=Sep 22 2011, 06:48 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Sep 22 2011, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I can ever do is laugh at statements like this, this is why the gaming industry is suffering so hard for skill basd games now a days.

Realistic? Aliens such as skulks, gorges, infestation and hives is realistic? that's news to me. It's a video game, it's not real life, that's why were all here to begin with. It's about funfactor and gameplay and the guy that posted the PT Mod wallhopping is on to something.

When the developers created NS1 they had every intention about bunnyhopping and it was a bug in Half-Life's engine, but it wasn't a bug in NS1, it was intended, with out it, NS1 wouldn't have became the game it was.

Counter-Strike 1.6 still has micro bunnyhopping in it, source has bhopping in it still, why? because it requires more skill and allows the user to express himself in the game as much as possible. The more you hold a player back from movement and choices, the less fun and interesting the game becomes. The reason for this is because, if everyone is at the same level, then there is no room for growth for players and teams. Stacking on each others heads n cs 1.6 was unrealistic, but allowing it, made the game 10x more interesting eg: you could boost players, stack for save rounds, stack players on top of each other for save rounds or defensive rounds.

I bet you when NS2 goes live and there are a ton of mods with things such as this, more people will play these mods then the original game because gameplay is what matters, not realism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A game element is fine, a bug is NOT, a bug that allows certain players to move faster changes game balance. And yes I can bunnyhop in CS all day long, just because I can do it, does not mean that I agree with the element in a game as a bug,

I'm more than aware of how things worked in CS/CSS etc as I was in the top clans in the country and the world. And no, stacking people on top of others didnt make the game more intesting and was not allowed in very high level tournaments,

And btw its irrelevant if UWE wanted bunny hoping or not in NS1, they coudlnt remove it if they wanted to.

NS1, tho fun (hence I play NS2), was not even remotly close to CS and TF in terms of gameplay, if it was it would still be being played now as opposed to the 4500 CSS servers and howe ever many thousand or so CS1.6 servers which are still active (some are clearly empty tho). Yes NS1 got to CAL, but hell CS1.6 is STILL IN CPL!

Also in regards to your mod statement, most people dont play mods, most mods are not successful, and your statement about more people playing a mod than the origianl game just wont happen again, hell its only ever happened twice in game history.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited September 2011
    Oh I see so he isn't pressing forward in order to move.

In that case yeah I guess it could work. Less stupid than bunnyhopping because you couldn't just bounce around with it, but it would allow you to move more unpredictably in short bursts as well as giving the skulk jump an actual use.

It's kinda like giving skulk minileap as a replacement for its standard jump, which is an idea I always liked, has potential, worth investigating.

I dislike anything you have to spam constantly, or which there is no reason not to spam constantly, but things which have situational, occasional applications, those are good.

Basically if it is a replacement for just pressing W to go forward, no, if it is a compliment to it, yes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1876386:date=Sep 22 2011, 11:24 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 22 2011, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A game element is fine, a bug is NOT, a bug that allows certain players to move faster changes game balance. And yes I can bunnyhop in CS all day long, just because I can do it, does not mean that I agree with the element in a game as a bug,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again, who cares whether or not it was a bug? If it turned out to improve the gameplay-mechanics greatly, why on earth would you remove it? Stop repeating the "it's a bug"-mantra, it is no argument for anything.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And btw its irrelevant if UWE wanted bunny hoping or not in NS1, they coudlnt remove it if they wanted to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They could've, and in fact did. From 1.0-1.04 marine-movement was as unrestricted as it was for the aliens, come 2.0 the on-landing slow-down was introduced, nearly negating bunnyhopping entirely, and no doubt they could've gone further if they wanted to.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1, tho fun (hence I play NS2), was not even remotly close to CS and TF in terms of gameplay, if it was it would still be being played now as opposed to the 4500 CSS servers and howe ever many thousand or so CS1.6 servers which are still active (some are clearly empty tho). Yes NS1 got to CAL, but hell CS1.6 is STILL IN CPL!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Game A is more popular than Game B therefor superior. Yeah I don't care for that reasoning.
    <!--quoteo(post=1876335:date=Sep 22 2011, 07:13 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Sep 22 2011, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a war though, because the majority will always be the players that want a watered down system that relates to "realism" and it kills the game before it even starts. Every single next generation game to date has been butchered to death to massive corporations and waves of newbs that want the game cattered to their gameplay standards, so they can compete, which is why there is no e-sport games occuring right now, except for trash like sc2.

The more slow / controlled gameplay implemented in to a game, the less skill curve there is which leads to boredem very quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is incorrect - Intel Extreme Masters is currently scheduled for Oct 13, with CS1.6, SC2 and LoL tournamants with something like 100k up for grabs.

Here is the problem (I'm against this btw), if you make a game where theer are traits that only the 'skilled' can use, the game balance tips, the n00bs get fked off with thier supperior skill and stop playing, a game, regardless of how good it looks wont last very long if thier player base deminishes. Its a very very fine line to walk.

If a wallhopping / bunnyhopping skulk can get to FC before a marine can, the 'n00bs' will just stop playing its that simple, they will me so out matched!
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1876389:date=Sep 22 2011, 10:30 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Sep 22 2011, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, who cares whether or not it was a bug? If it turned out to improve the gameplay-mechanics greatly, why on earth would you remove it? Stop repeating the "it's a bug"-mantra, it is no argument for anything.

They could've, and in fact did. From 1.0-1.04 marine-movement was as unrestricted as it was for the aliens, come 2.0 the on-landing slow-down was introduced, nearly negating bunnyhopping entirely, and no doubt they could've gone further if they wanted to.

Game A is more popular than Game B therefor superior. Yeah I don't care for that reasoning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it didn't improve the game play, yes in public games people said 'OMG hax' in tournaments it clearly didnt improve the gameplay or it would not have been banned,

UWE are a company, what REALLY matters is thier bottom line, granted they prolly care more about thier target audiance than most deveolpers, but at the end of the day they are here to make money.

The 2 single biggest games of all time, CS and WoW, they are the epitome of thier genre, nothing has come close, i doubt anything will (other than possibly CS:GO and Titan). You might not care for that reasoning, but the 25million that bought CS, and the 50million that have bought WoW clearly do. Your opinion though valid, unfortuantly is not shared with the millions that will by these games.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    There are plenty of threads where you can discuss Bunnyhopping, this isn't one of them.

This is wallhopping, and as Cory said, probably too early to discuss any of it at the moment.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Wrong part of the forum?

Also, nice mod but I am glad it isn't in the official build.
    It is fine to add a skill that can be aquired by playing the game, not a skill that requires non intuitive movement/gamestyle to aquire... thats counter intuitive and bad design.
    A skill that is first discovered by accident, and then learnt by others via social networking isnt a cool feature, its a popular glitch.

Apt quote fot this thread
    Actually I got the hang of bunnyhopping long before I dipped into multiplayer and learned it was designated as bunnyhopping. It came pretty naturally to me, but then I'm not completely inept.
  • LaggasaurusLaggasaurus Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22773Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1876395:date=Sep 22 2011, 10:44 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Sep 22 2011, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But it didn't improve the game play, yes in public games people said 'OMG hax' in tournaments it clearly didnt improve the gameplay or it would not have been banned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It got removed because marines were able to move faster than skulks and that was just silly in a melee vs ranged game. But aliens being able to gain speed and air movement through bhopping was just so key to the fast, intense combat that is NS. Which is why I find playing skulk in NS2 atm frankly boring in comparison to NS1, its just too slow with too few options when engaging marines. Now I'm not advocating a return to bhopping, just there needs to be a means of air movement/ at Hive 1, because as soon as the performance increases both client and server side walker skulks will just be massacred by anyone that can aim.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    cute video

where's the part that has to do with a wall?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1876476:date=Sep 23 2011, 07:09 AM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Sep 23 2011, 07:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->cute video

where's the part that has to do with a wall?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think that was what cory meant, the video does not show wall jumping as intended and is just a first step in that direction.

I guess the idea is good, makes sense, and is not unituitive as bunny hopping.
    Considering a 'floor' is just another wall, I dont see why you cant do this off the floor as well as the wall