In-game voice

2»

Comments

• WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    I wasn't really thinking 2 buttons.

I was thinking local is voice activated. And Radio is press to talk.

Keeps it dead simple, and again, encourages players to talk to those who are close. And it doesn't matter if it's just chatter/banter, it's all local. And if course you can mute someone if they are just spamming.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882355:date=Oct 27 2011, 10:30 AM:name=Wavesonics)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wavesonics @ Oct 27 2011, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wasn't really thinking 2 buttons.

I was thinking local is voice activated. And Radio is press to talk.

Keeps it dead simple, and again, encourages players to talk to those who are close. And it doesn't matter if it's just chatter/banter, it's all local. And if course you can mute someone if they are just spamming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Beauty of simplicity.
    Brilliant +1
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    I'm going to quote my self here since i posted this in the wrong thread :P

<!--quoteo(post=1882370:date=Oct 28 2011, 03:30 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Oct 28 2011, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Check out the ACRE mod for arma 2 for a good way this should work.

A nice video of the demo, genera directl 3d during the whole game, some radio chatter at around the 1:20 mark.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TAenJI-zs&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TAenJI-zs...feature=related</a>.

The radio signal is affected by all sorts of things including:

- the type of radio
    - the power settings of the radio
    - terrain
    - plus other technical stuff I can't remember

It also has different channels for communication (set by frequencies though, this is a military sim implimentation of it)

Main things to listen for is the radio noise, and the 3d sound positioning.

This is using teamspeak 3.

Also has a few things like if you talk on the radio, people around you will hear your direct talk (aka the 3d sound), as well as your radio dialouge if you are on the same radio frequency.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    Now that would be cool, I especially like how if a man is standing to the left, then you only hear him talking in your left ear, etc...
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882333:date=Oct 27 2011, 03:50 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Oct 27 2011, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Two buttons - hell no. Should be range based. </b>
    Within X meters you get clear sound, beyond this range add the 'immersion' stuff. As NS2HD has pointed out, we'd want something noticeable but not distracting. Given how well the shade distortion works I think UWE could do a great job with this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like it being implemented this way as it would only add functionality rather than take it away.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881820:date=Oct 25 2011, 05:41 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 25 2011, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Transmits environmental sounds, such as rifle fire, as a muffled background.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Company of heroes does this, it's actually quite useful as you can use it to determine how heavily under attack the unit is, and by what, when it reports enemies.

+1 to that for communication improvement purposes.

The positional audio for close-by marines would also possibly be useful for the same sorts of reasons.
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    I love this stuff, but then again, anyone who plays super seriously (ie. clans, friend squads) will probably just use skype, teamspeak or vent. :(
  • scottyscotty Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107400Members
    At least give me a little credit for this idea.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114457" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=114457</a>

Use my idea and not even say anything, how rude :(
  • SilverfiskSilverfisk Join Date: 2011-11-27 Member: 135471Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887132:date=Nov 27 2011, 09:13 AM:name=scotty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scotty @ Nov 27 2011, 09:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At least give me a little credit for this idea.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114457" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=114457</a>

Use my idea and not even say anything, how rude :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're serious about that you need to realize that many people have had this idea for many games before, including this game. It is hardly an original idea.

I would really like to see this as well, I'm almost certain that it would improve teamwork by a lot! And I hope that UnknownWorlds are willing and able to implement this, it would take the game to new heights.

I'm worried that there might be something that makes this very hard to implement or something, since very rarely has this been actually implemented from what I've seen.
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882016:date=Oct 25 2011, 09:18 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 25 2011, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, the first few times maybe. After that, it'll just start to get annoying that I can't talk to my teammates or receive change-of-orders. There only options you really have in that situation are to sit there, silently building with an eye on the entrance until you finish or die, or to suddenly abandon your job for no well-explained reason, walk back to your com, and tell him you didn't feel like finishing his building.

Or, it could be one button that lets you talk to your team without imposing artificial rules or hindrances based off of the environment. No static hiss, no tiny hard-to-hear volume, no weapons fire, no sudden cut-off point where you can't coordinate with your team; just a button that lets you communicate when you want to.

Plus, what are you going to do for text chat? Garble it with random characters?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure where you guys went off the rails on this idea? But mega negatives for this.

The idea is to have voice activated local speak, so when you talk normally (no buttons, easy!) only people near you hear you, so squads can communicate simply without a lot of clutter on everyones ears.

Global speak would be press to activate; like it is now (wow no change! OMG complexity). It would have the slightest hiss, with some muffled sounds (many many volumes lower than the voice) so people would quickly recognise that it is global speak. The comm would obviously have very little static or any background noise, so once again, hes very distinguishable from everyone else.

Adds everything, takes nothing away. Why complain? Just so you can?
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited November 2011
    Positional audio/chat is awesome feature

I'd say default voicechat should always be positional
    If your in a squad, you can communicate with your squad leader regardless of position, and vice versa
    Commander can hear all voice chat, and everyone can hear commander at all times

this way players have to rely on commander to relay messages to the whole team - you dont get rambo players trying to order the whole team around. it organically produces a realistic chain of command.

maybe a researchable, buyable radio item that allows, when equipped, anyone using it to communicate with the whole team

I think positional audio actually reduces spam and confusion because the only voice you hear is relevant to you, because its coming from nearby players in the same situation rather than having to hear someone whining from the other side of the map
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    edited November 2011
    Meh, I'm sorry but I find this all a bit silly. I never realised the free-for-all voice-system was such an issue in NS1, and now we're supposed to bounce around messages from player to comm to player? What if the commander isn't of the talkative kind? What if I'm not sure a player is close enough to me to hear me through local? Try local, then global to be sure? What a complete mess.

I don't mind if it is available, but do it through an opt-in system, and make the default way free-for-all like it is in most games. It is what new players will expect, and what seasoned players (clanners) will prefer (it's a ######heap faster, and players can be kept up to date by just passively listening).

Oh, and crackling\fizzling through voice to emulate realism of some kind? Good lord, I'm happy enough if players have a working mic, let alone have the sound-quality take a nose-dive for the sake of immersion. No thanks.
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887236:date=Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, I'm sorry but I find this all a bit silly. I never realised the free-for-all voice-system was such an issue in NS1, and now we're supposed to bounce around messages from player to comm to player? What if the commander isn't of the talkative kind? What if I'm not sure a player is close enough to me to hear me through local? Try local, then global to be sure? What a complete mess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't applying constructive feedback be wonderful? If you can see them and they're in the same room I would say positional should work for them as a base. Thats pretty intuitive too. I can see them = just talk, if I can't = press to talk on my radio.

I personally feel, outside of clan matches (where this idea isn't reallly relevant anyway for reasons already mentioned), free for all speak was and is pretty terribad. Especially in a game where knowing about threats in your vicinity is priority.

<!--quoteo(post=1887236:date=Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't mind if it is available, but do it through an opt-in system, and make the default way free-for-all like it is in most games. It is what new players will expect, and what seasoned players (clanners) will prefer (it's a ######heap faster, and players can be kept up to date by just passively listening).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whats the point? Clanners use something else, and I don't think you're qualified to determine what new players will expect. An opt-in system neuters the point of having global and local speak. Having the functionality makes it opt-in anyway, don't care for local? Just use press to talk like usual.

<!--quoteo(post=1887236:date=Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Nov 28 2011, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and crackling\fizzling through voice to emulate realism of some kind? Good lord, I'm happy enough if players have a working mic, let alone have the sound-quality take a nose-dive for the sake of immersion. No thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once again, negative for negative sake. Yes, having something that ruins sound quality = bad. Having minor ambience to differentiate global speak, as long as its implemented well could work nicely. Why assume it just won't be put in well?
  • ClinkClink Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67728Members
    Diggin the cut of your jib Alphz. You've nailed every issue I've had with it and make it seem implementable and classy.