Grenade Launcher: The True Weapon of Skill

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
Grenade launcher direct hits ###### hurt, so my best advice right now it to learn to land grenades on lifeforms. It will instakill skulks and lerks and badly damage all the rest. Team of good grenade launchers = unstoppable.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited December 2011
    Team of lots of GLs = pretty hard to stop anyway.

It might hurt more if you direct hit it but when you can lay down an endless wall of explosions in front of your advance, you don't really need to hit directly.

Or do much other than remember to click and refill ammo.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    landing a direct hit on a flying lerk feels pretty good :p
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You just need to remember that the Whip hits back grenades now. I keep forgetting :(
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888562:date=Dec 5 2011, 01:25 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Dec 5 2011, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just need to remember that the Whip hits back grenades now. I keep forgetting :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol, I do to.
    It makes the GL not so op and forces the marine team to wait till they have arcs or slowly kill off the whips first then GL the hive.
    The best part is when a whip whacks a grenade that you have shot and then kills a skulk that was about to attack you!

-B1ackSmoke
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    I laughed when I read "grenade launcher" and "skill" in the same sentence.

When you can't aim, just throw a grenade.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Wasn't that Peach's quote? Theft!

Are we about ready to embrace the idea the GL should be a stand-alone weapon again?
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888585:date=Dec 6 2011, 12:26 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 6 2011, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasn't that Peach's quote? Theft!

Are we about ready to embrace the idea the GL should be a stand-alone weapon again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't remember who's exactly it is but I remember it :)

And +1
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm all for it. Not a big fan of the marine being able to shoot away the opposition and grenade their homes with everyone using the same gun.

Instead of people with shotguns or hmgs covering the grenade launchers. You get the entire team grabbing gl's to shoot everything and lob 30+ grenades in the hive room.

You don't get the deadly but weak aspect of the original grenade launcher. As the assault rifle with gl attachment wielders can easily survive on their own or work extremely well if more people are using it.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1888585:date=Dec 5 2011, 05:26 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 5 2011, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasn't that Peach's quote? Theft!

Are we about ready to embrace the idea the GL should be a stand-alone weapon again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, for stand-alone GL

<i>at least</i> make bullets semi-automatic
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888598:date=Dec 5 2011, 03:52 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Dec 5 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1, for stand-alone GL

<i>at least</i> make bullets semi-automatic<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Genius! That would actually be really awesome to have a single shot rifle with a GL attachment. And it would balance it out a little.

+1

-B1ackSmoke
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    The problem with GL being stand-alone is that nobody would ever get it. You get completely removed from the fight when you have a specialty gun with only a few bullets/projectiles/whatever (especially when they're aoe and can hurt you), so the incentive to get it drops to nil. Who would want to run around, not shooting because they just don't have the ammo to do so, until they are in position on the other side of the map... then shoot a few times and go back to being useless? Yeah, you have a pistol and axe, but come on.

Sounds more like you all have been playing with teams that aren't setting up whips, which is why people complaining about the 'nade-slapping need to shut their holes (since without it the GL would indeed be a balance problem). A few whips in the hive room and you'll see that annoying GL rush turn into a find cloud of bloody mist.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888687:date=Dec 6 2011, 06:36 AM:name=sickboy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sickboy @ Dec 6 2011, 06:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with GL being stand-alone is that nobody would ever get it. You get completely removed from the fight when you have a specialty gun with only a few bullets/projectiles/whatever (especially when they're aoe and can hurt you), so the incentive to get it drops to nil. Who would want to run around, not shooting because they just don't have the ammo to do so, until they are in position on the other side of the map... then shoot a few times and go back to being useless? Yeah, you have a pistol and axe, but come on.

Sounds more like you all have been playing with teams that aren't setting up whips, which is why people complaining about the 'nade-slapping need to shut their holes (since without it the GL would indeed be a balance problem). A few whips in the hive room and you'll see that annoying GL rush turn into a find cloud of bloody mist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 had this and the grenade launcher WAS used. But this also caused it to be a rifle attachment.

Being a semi-automatic gun attachment would be better
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    It was Peach'es, and I even used it in my first fragmovie.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps if the gl rifle had a smaller clip size, 20-30 rounds.

The GL from NS1 was still effective on aliens, you carried more ammunition and could unload a couple quite quickly before you needed to reload.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Lerks can survive a direct hit from a GL, but not a full hit from a shotgun.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    edited December 2011
    What if a standalone GL had some other utility? I have no clue what that would be, just throwing that out there since you guys are getting creative!
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    I've been thinking along the same lines as Krizzen. We've all seen the grenade launcher attachment in tons of games, so how about a grenade launcher with a gun attachment instead? Like some sort of light smg stuck to the underside of the weapon which would be weaker than the ordinary rifle, but at least be something.

Another thought I just had was for the standalone launcher's secondary fire to be more of a direct damage dealer... An idea I had was that the secondary fire would launch a grenade which would be shredded by a nano-grid(?!?!) at the end of the muzzle, sending a volley of red hot metal towards a target. That would mean that both primary and secondary fire uses the same rounds from the same clip. It could be interesting having to judge weather to keep lobbing grenades at a hive or "waste" a round for a shotgun-blast on a nearby alien.

Eh.. just throwing some ideas out there, not really a fan of the current gl.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1890875:date=Dec 19 2011, 02:25 PM:name=Krizzen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krizzen @ Dec 19 2011, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if a standalone GL had some other utility? I have no clue what that would be, just throwing that out there since you guys are getting creative!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like having a rifle attached to it?

Honestly I think this is sort of exactly the problem. The GL as it stands is not a rifle with a grenade launcher attachment, it's a grenade launcher with a crappy bullet hose stuck on as an afterthought.

The rifle should be the primary weapon in this arrangement, with the GL being a situational tool used to enhance the versatility of the rifle.

The rifle works as a gun, it's a proven concept and one that does not see much use in the later stages of the game, there is a big niche for a machinegun-style weapon suitable for the mid to late game, I think the GL would work much better as a heavy rifle variant. Give it a 75 round magazine, make it do heavy-type damage, and give the grenade launcher a reduced blast radius and only three shots or so, but keep it very damaging, especially against structures.

That way your heavy rifle wielding marine can do plenty of damage, especially against later lifeforms and also has the power to do a lot of damage in a short time to a structure, like a harvester. Using the rifles in groups only expands the capability.

The game doesn't need grenade spam, it does however need grenades on occasion as a utility item. GL should be a utility item, preferably not a replacement for a primary weapon.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited December 2011
    The damage system was overhauled for 188. I imagine in a patch or two, this damage system will not resemble what it is now (it's currently pretty badly imbalanced). Should wait before we see whatever the gl morphs into, before we start trying to tweak it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you should add autoaim, and burning bullets to it too?

Nade spam is there because the gl is THE allround weapon, adding a badass lmg part makes it worse... since you wouldn't even need shotguns anymore against fades.
    If anything the lmg part should be removed(with a very little dmg buff or increased firerate on the gl part, and ammo to carry around), teamplay nades and pistols are good enough for selfdefense...
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited December 2011
    i hope they make the grenades more effective against single structures, like harvesters. right now, i think the rifle actually deals more damage per second (could be wrong though).
    what i do like is that GL-marines need some cover when attacking multiple times (hive etc.), this is nicely teamplayish.