Too much Information

B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
My brother and I have noticed that it's great to see who has killed who on the top right and all, but showing that an extractor has gone down and what exactly killed it makes things a little too easy, for both teams.

If your harvester, extractor, ip or whip, etc... is going down it's very simple to check the map and see that it is being attacked, also you have a commander who should be telling you what's going on.
I think that if NS2 were to take of those structure kills from showing it would balance out the game a bit.

This is just an idea.
What are your thoughts?

-B1ackSmoke

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Balance the game how?
    It's good that you want attentive and communicative commanders, but this wouldn't really encourage it, just make the game that much harder when you don't have one. So it gets harder for noobs, but vets are unaffected.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Removing "structure killed by" wouldn't touch game balance.
    I actually can't decide whether I like this feature or not.
    It gives you meaningful information, some times.
    Other times I feel that it clutters the actual kills.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The mini-map shows too much information in my opinion, it should be renamed mini-hack. I feel bad sometimes when
    I kill a hidden skulk because I saw him on the mini-hack.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892557:date=Jan 3 2012, 04:45 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jan 3 2012, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The mini-map shows too much information in my opinion, it should be renamed mini-hack. I feel bad sometimes when
    I kill a hidden skulk because I saw him on the mini-hack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That raises a valid point somewhat because the ARC's "aren't able to identify aliens because they do not have the lifeforms in their database" and yet.. the marines tiny visor can.. Although perhaps the skulk should really be a lerk - I find that early game there's not enough lerks.. aliens can't really complain about balance when they lose and they all have 60+ individual resources. The resources are there to spend, and if they're not spending that it's their own fault. :\

I wonder though.. has early lerking really been tested enough then though? I think there should be a test done one day of 6 games in a row, 3 of which have most of the team go early lerk (and maybe a gorge) and then have another 3 where there is only 1 lerk at early game and see how it plays out.. Lerks should have the advantage because even if one dies there's not much time before they can re-obtain the lifeform, and with a team being so offensive they are ale to get to higher tier.

That is, think of if that skulk that was trying to be sneaky was instead a lerk, and aiming spikes at you :\ the outcome would be different, so is it really the map that was beneficial or was it simply that it was a skulk.... skulks are quite weak imo.. you should not feel bad killing them :P
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    By balance I mean:

How is a skulk or marine supposed to be somewhat sneaky when the aliens are clearly told that "marineX" has killed one of their cyst or harvesters.

Same goes for marines. "AlienX" has killed a powernode.

I think the commander should have the roll of making sure things are safe and alerting the team when something is under attack.

I feel having the enemy show up on the mini map and big map are help enough.

-B1ackSmoke
    I don't mind it actually, because it can be used as a scare tactic. Striking fear into your enemies is as good as poisoning them sometimes. War is not only fought with weapons but with psychological warfare.. If you don't know much about it you are probably missing out on one of the most effective forms of combat, and while in this day and age it can't be used well IRL because media will show you to be a Nazi or whathaveyou, in videogames I find psychological warfare works well on weak minds.

You'd be surprised how effective a username like "Don't shoot me I'm innocent" has an effect, as opposed to if your username was "KillerDeathDreadnaughtDoomEvil" or something.. the more you make yourself out to be a monster, the more people are willing to shoot you dead.

Anyways, in the end the game must sway towards one team or the other.. I'd rather have more information available to clueless people because I'm all for more competition, even if that means losing - it's just a game. Don't take it so seriously (but still be vigilant because if you are playing, then you should play your best no matter how much something like that bothers you.. use it to your advantage, even).
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892559:date=Jan 3 2012, 10:02 PM:name=Corpsey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corpsey @ Jan 3 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder though.. has early lerking really been tested enough then though? I think there should be a test done one day of 6 games in a row, 3 of which have most of the team go early lerk (and maybe a gorge) and then have another 3 where there is only 1 lerk at early game and see how it plays out.. Lerks should have the advantage because even if one dies there's not much time before they can re-obtain the lifeform, and with a team being so offensive they are ale to get to higher tier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In pcws we have been testing with different amounts of lerks. 1, 2 and 3.
    The more lerks you get the more strength your team get, lerks are really good in packs.
    But one spore lerk with lots of skulks is also powerful.
    As you say they are easily replaceable due to the resource flow, and they increase your chances of getting your hive up.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892568:date=Jan 3 2012, 04:07 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 3 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In pcws we have been testing with different amounts of lerks. 1, 2 and 3.
    The more lerks you get the more strength your team get, lerks are really good in packs.
    But one spore lerk with lots of skulks is also powerful.
    As you say they are easily replaceable due to the resource flow, and they increase your chances of getting your hive up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you posted on the wrong topic
    He was actually responding to me with some very useful information I think you should try to absorb..

I think though there's a flaw in how you're trying to communicate this idea:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your harvester, extractor, ip or whip, etc... is going down it's very simple to check the map and see that it is being attacked, also you have a commander who should be telling you what's going on.
    I think that if NS2 were to take of those structure kills from showing it would balance out the game a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At first you are saying that the hivemind is too powerful by notifying the team, but then you say that the kill feed is too powerful for showing that a building has been killed.. well if the hivemind/marine defense computer voice are too powerful, wouldn't the building have been defended? And that would also suggest that the player in question that was trying to be stealthy has already completed his task, should he have assassinated the right building.. therefore giving flaw to your first statement?

Also, if the one who is trying to be stealthy dies, is it not his fault for not asking for backup?

Anyways those are some things to think about.. I don't think that broadcasting it on the kill feed matters so much because it is practically known by everyone (paying attention) in the server anyways, and if not it brings it to peoples attention allowing the game to progress.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    At first I thought this thread was about omitting <b>needless</b> information, which I agree wholeheartedly with; but apparently you want to omit <b>useful</b> information, so uh... no.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited January 2012
    i think the structure-destroyed information is quite useful to less experienced players and especially to players who don't use the map as frequently. i guess it'd make sense to display it in a different location than the "kills" to keep more overview, but that's because this is actually more important than kills! players respawn (usually), whereas destroyed structures can have a massive impact on the situation and human assistance is often required in order to prevent further destruction of a base/outpost. since i consider "lack of attention" to still be a problem (even on the marine side) i'd like this information to remain in the game.
  • Ambit_EnergyAmbit_Energy Join Date: 2012-01-04 Member: 139590Members
    I think that's best for noobs....
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    anybody who has pubbed NS will attest to the inability of the average player to notice and react to things like structures dying, pgs getting set up, etc
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    What we really need are minimap notifications of these events. When such an event occurs, the (corner) minimap may zoom out slightly, and it will highlight the location of the event (like a flashing minimap ping for instance), or if it remains outside of the view (i.e. we don't zoom all the way out - which could be problematic), it displays it on the minimap at the edge with an arrow pointing to it. You should be able to tell at a glance. Games like HoN also pair "tower under attack" with a horn sound - though this could be problematic. It also displays the alive/dead status of players on both teams, with tiny icons for each player in the corner/edge of the screen, which may also be useful.

Cue elitist rage.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892619:date=Jan 4 2012, 10:22 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Jan 4 2012, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think the structure-destroyed information is quite useful to less experienced players and especially to players who don't use the map as frequently. i guess it'd make sense to display it in a different location than the "kills" to keep more overview, but that's because this is actually more important than kills! players respawn (usually), whereas destroyed structures can have a massive impact on the situation and human assistance is often required in order to prevent further destruction of a base/outpost. since i consider "lack of attention" to still be a problem (even on the marine side) i'd like this information to remain in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really is a case of "too much information". The top right corner kill feed moves much too fast for it to be useful for paying attention to what's going on in the game. I'm very experienced and I still can't get much use out of it in its current state.

<!--quoteo(post=1893745:date=Jan 12 2012, 04:48 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 12 2012, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What we really need are minimap notifications of these events. When such an event occurs, the (corner) minimap may zoom out slightly, and it will highlight the location of the event (like a flashing minimap ping for instance), or if it remains outside of the view (i.e. we don't zoom all the way out - which could be problematic), it displays it on the minimap at the edge with an arrow pointing to it. You should be able to tell at a glance. Games like HoN also pair "tower under attack" with a horn sound - though this could be problematic. It also displays the alive/dead status of players on both teams, with tiny icons for each player in the corner/edge of the screen, which may also be useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I agree with the OP that structure kills should be removed from the top right "kill feed" though. I also agree with Yuuki that the minimap sometimes gives a little too much information. It might be better if it didn't show as much information about what the alien team is currently doing, as it does right now. This was a problem in NS1 as well and it removes quite a bit of the "what's waiting around the next corner?" tension from the game.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    An good example is hidden skulks on the left when you enter bridge, you can see them on the minimap for some unknown reason (too close to rt?).
    The command centre still seems to have vision or something.. one time I was heading out and noticed a skulk in main base before the marine nano-network voice said "Your base is under attack". I had enough time to turn around and run back to clean up the skulk.. partially because I knew his exact position from the map. Not sure if the command centre is supposed to have sight like that or not but it's just something that maybe could change balancing (I knew the skulks position, the skulk was not yet able to know my position).