Alien/Marine Commanders and Spells

kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
This is to separate orders from abilities as harimau suggested.

My idea is based on Company of Heroes my favorite RTS.

The spells section that is global and simply unlocks based on time?? (correct me if I am wrong)
This is one of the most interesting things to work against and to deploy as a commander.

It is easy to use... the spells are in a top level list accessible without selecting a structure.
but tactically valid and each spell has a considerable cooldown period

this makes the spells very useful if deployed correctly
and very disappointing if used badly (long cooldown time)

To me such a feature would add the action needed in commanding at this time.

I realize this is completely new and probably should be in ideas i just did not want to loose the people, ideas and discussion occuring in the other thread concerning pheromones.

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I wouldn't be using the word "spell" in this forum. You're likely to get slapped. Use "abilities" or something else instead.

But anyway, you can set all your hives, command stations, or any type of structure to a hotkey. Then you can use the pool of energy from all those structures at the same time (for example, placing cysts, or spamming nano shield). It really doesn't make sense to put them at top, because not all abilities are global (umbra, fury, cloak, etc can only be triggered next to the structure).
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    So abilities ....to make the comm's role more action related.

the point of them being top level is the quick execution of them.
    that is why I like Company of Heroes so much.

I did not have to learn which building to select to activate an ability.
    I did not have to bind a hotkey i just did it....
    This goes back to basic UI design ....the most actional items should be bubbled to the top.

Alot of abilities where limited to a certain area or simply controlled area
    and this was expressed in an overlay...sorry you can't drop it there.
  • reavenreaven Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124664Members
    I agree in that having all the available abilities ready to use more at hand, like in a different bar even, would be a great addition.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895548:date=Jan 19 2012, 01:28 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 19 2012, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't be using the word "spell" in this forum. You're likely to get slapped. Use "abilities" or something else instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh. I seem to recall Charlie himself using the word "spells" in a podcast or a video podcast.