Terrible FPS

SpacecraftSpacecraft Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143398Members
I am getting pretty dang poor FPS considering my hardware and the graphics of this game. During a full game on the max settings, I get probably 40 FPS on average, dipping into 20s during a lot of action. BF3 I don't ever drop below 50 FPS on ultra at 1920x1080.

Hardware:

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4GHz
2x crossfire ATI Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3
W7 Ultimate x64

Is this a problem with the game, or should I be expecting higher FPS than I am getting?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    On that rig it seems about right (CPU), mind you a few builds back you could actually take 25% of those FPS numbers so things are steadily improving. It also is quite dependant on the server, so if a server is not able to handle it you're bound to see lower performance (lag/choke), which forces your PC to predict more and as a result adds more load/lower FPS :)

Mind you this isn't a Beta that is comparable to the "Betas" by bigger companies as those are mostly near final release Betas
  • SpacecraftSpacecraft Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143398Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899407:date=Feb 3 2012, 01:26 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 3 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On that rig it seems about right (CPU), mind you a few builds back you could actually take 25% of those FPS numbers so things are steadily improving. It also is quite dependant on the server, so if a server is not able to handle it you're bound to see lower performance (lag/choke), which forces your PC to predict more and as a result adds more load/lower FPS :)

Mind you this isn't a Beta that is comparable to the "Betas" by bigger companies as those are mostly near final release Betas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right, I understand the beta bit. And I know my CPU is a bottleneck (i5 2500k soon :D), but no way this game is that demanding. Crysis 2 runs over 60 FPS for me with the DX11 patch and high res texture patch.

Metro2033 runs a steady 60 FPS on everything maxed.

I just really hope this is something they're able to fix before August.\
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    Actually this game is more demanding then Crysis and BF3 combined, not because of features but because of optimisations that are still left to be done :P

The game code is in lua and that is causing some issues right now. But the Devs are seeing many options to improve it all on the way to<i> SummerTime</i>

Besides I;m on a E6420 (2.13Ghz) @ 3.2Ghz and seeing 19-35(peaks of 60 in map)FPS and I find it quite enjoyable, just hang in there it will only get better and ain't it awesome you're now part of the inhouse development.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899411:date=Feb 3 2012, 01:37 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 3 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually this game is more demanding then Crysis and BF3 combined, not because of features but because of optimisations that are still left to be done :P

The game code is in lua and that is causing some issues right now. But the Devs are seeing many options to improve it all on the way to<i> SummerTime</i>

Besides I;m on a E6420 (2.13Ghz) @ 3.2Ghz and seeing 19-35(peaks of 60 in map)FPS and I find it quite enjoyable, just hang in there it will only get better and ain't it awesome you're now part of the inhouse development.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh.. it's in lua? Why in God's name would they do that? For modding support?
    Yep, the engine is in C++ though, it's just the game code that is in lua. Faster and easier to work with and modify or test stuff, they are a very small team :)

Max (main engine dev/co founder) actually manage to get lua to run faster using his own lua engine (from what I heard/understand). They say there is a lot of headroom to improve upon, just a lot of work :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1899418:date=Feb 3 2012, 01:55 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 3 2012, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, the engine is in C++ though, it's just the game code that is in lua. Faster and easier to work with and modify or test stuff, they are a very small team :)

Max (main engine dev/co founder) actually manage to get lua to run faster using his own lua engine (from what I heard/understand). They say there is a lot of headroom to improve upon, just a lot of work :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's good to hear then. Really though I have full confidence in the guys at unknown worlds. I'm not worried. :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899418:date=Feb 3 2012, 09:55 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 3 2012, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Faster and easier to work with and modify or test stuff, they are a very small team :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't say it's faster to work with per se, as you may well know Max (and other engine-guys) have been spending bucket-loads of time getting the ###### to run properly. The real advantage to using Lua is it's sandboxed-nature, allowing for safe server-to-client propagation without clients having to worry they're being set-up with malicious code that can potentially damage their machine. The worst that can happen with Lua, well, nothing that can't be fixed by disconnecting from the server.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Ive always wondered can't they move some of the intensive lua code to c++
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I don't think 40+ fps with high settings on a c2d 3ghz, gtx 260 is an unreasonable expectation?

It managed 30 much of the time now but lag and fps dips are still a problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899592:date=Feb 4 2012, 01:25 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Feb 4 2012, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive always wondered can't they move some of the intensive lua code to c++<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes and that has happened with certain things already, but doing this incurs a performance-penalty, so you can't do it all the time.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    Game performance is bad at the moment.
    It demands more CPU and GPU power than Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2, though the whole game occurs in indoor environments.

Great game, great graphics, great mechanics. Almost everything is perfect in this game.
    The only problem is a lack of optimization, which keeps me from playing NS2 everyday.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899595:date=Feb 4 2012, 05:32 AM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Feb 4 2012, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think 40+ fps with high settings on a c2d 3ghz, gtx 260 is an unreasonable expectation?

It managed 30 much of the time now but lag and fps dips are still a problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, when games are somewhat empty, or a lot of things haven't been built, I usually sit around 50 FPS. But in heavy combat, like the whole team of marines launching grenades, flying around in jetpacks, the comm is spamming objects all over, I dip into like 20 fps. I've never seen 30 FPS in BF3 lol.

But I'm alright if optimization isn't what they're focused on right now. As long as it gets done some day before release. :P
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899598:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:38 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Feb 4 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes and that has happened with certain things already, but doing this incurs a performance-penalty, so you can't do it all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How does that works exactly, for example if you would move Vector:DotProduct() which is a very simple but called many times function, would it slows down the game because of the lua->c ->lua "travel time" ?
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Thats funny, I have a Nvidia 460 1gb and a 955BE and I get 30-40 fps constantly smooth on max graphics.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899703:date=Feb 4 2012, 09:14 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Feb 4 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does that works exactly, for example if you would move Vector:DotProduct() which is a very simple but called many times function, would it slows down the game because of the lua->c ->lua "travel time" ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yar, the Lua/C interaction adds overhead, so you need to have a serious workload to make it worthwhile. Something like calculating a dotproduct (a number of simple operations) I guess is a bit of a coin-toss, it looks like it was once in Lua, but now moved into the engine (perhaps to reduce heap-usage, garbage-collection has been an issue early on).

The LuaJIT+FFI combo would kinda render the need to even move such things into the engine obsolete, the only reason I can come up with why McGuire hasn't gone that way is because of Lua's garbage-collector (which really is not up to the task of working with massive datasets such as NS2's), and McGuire's implementation of a new one broke compatibility with LuaJIT. Or maybe I'm way off base, it's a bit of a guessing game what goes on in the dev's minds.

We need a new Q&A-newsposting.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I think they have done things to make lua less heap thrashing.

They made Vector type objects more stack like.
    So when vector math was done to determine something the temporary objects would not get garbage collected.

They also made an allocator for other small object size requests.

This is all from memory and i did not double check ...so i could be wrong.

I keep seeing improvements in general.
    But the new map is a little hitchier.
    I did play on their server and the new map played a bit better.
    It's true the Lua-script is slowly improving, but what we're looking at is a required speed-up in the order of a factor 3-5x at least, and I don't think shaving little bits off the edges is going to accomplish this, something more radical is in order.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899410:date=Feb 3 2012, 05:35 PM:name=Spacecraft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spacecraft @ Feb 3 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, I understand the beta bit. And I know my CPU is a bottleneck (i5 2500k soon :D), but no way this game is that demanding. Crysis 2 runs over 60 FPS for me with the DX11 patch and high res texture patch.

Metro2033 runs a steady 60 FPS on everything maxed.

I just really hope this is something they're able to fix before August.\<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4GHz to an i5 is hardly an upgrade. Don't do it.
  • blacknessblackness Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143723Members
    I have a i5 2500k and at most I get 50-60% load while GPU is 100% constantly. Using a 5870 btw.
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899864:date=Feb 5 2012, 12:01 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Feb 5 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4GHz to an i5 is hardly an upgrade. Don't do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't call this "hardly and upgrade" <a href="http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965" target="_blank">http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965</a>. Slap that 2500k into 4Ghz (easy OC) and you've got even more more performance...
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899870:date=Feb 5 2012, 08:25 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 5 2012, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't call this "hardly and upgrade" <a href="http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965" target="_blank">http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965</a>. Slap that 2500k into 4Ghz (easy OC) and you've got even more more performance...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nah waste of money, they're the same speed with very minor difference. i5 gets a bit more per clock speed. Games like BF3, Crysis, ect, from the benchmarks I've seen on TomsHardware, the i5 is a very slight upgrade, just a few fps, and sometimes losing.
  • blacknessblackness Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143723Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899874:date=Feb 5 2012, 02:01 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Feb 5 2012, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nah waste of money, they're the same speed with very minor difference. i5 gets a bit more per clock speed. Games like BF3, Crysis, ect, from the benchmarks I've seen on TomsHardware, the i5 is a very slight upgrade, just a few fps, and sometimes losing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102" target="_blank">http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102</a>
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1899796:date=Feb 5 2012, 05:05 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Feb 5 2012, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yar, the Lua/C interaction adds overhead, so you need to have a serious workload to make it worthwhile. Something like calculating a dotproduct (a number of simple operations) I guess is a bit of a coin-toss, it looks like it was once in Lua, but now moved into the engine (perhaps to reduce heap-usage, garbage-collection has been an issue early on).

The LuaJIT+FFI combo would kinda render the need to even move such things into the engine obsolete, the only reason I can come up with why McGuire hasn't gone that way is because of Lua's garbage-collector (which really is not up to the task of working with massive datasets such as NS2's), and McGuire's implementation of a new one broke compatibility with LuaJIT. Or maybe I'm way off base, it's a bit of a guessing game what goes on in the dev's minds.

We need a new Q&A-newsposting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe part the argument was it was hard for them to understand and extend LuaJit code to there needs, although I've never seen anything that implied they bothered trying Lua Jit's FFI before switching away
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    didnt max say in that multi threading video that he is currently converting all LUA to C and that it was a lot of work etc?
    i wonder how many players more we would have if there was something like a %40 increase in performance.
    everyone would then notice the server performance, i believe lol.

we need to clone max.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899864:date=Feb 5 2012, 04:01 AM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Feb 5 2012, 04:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4GHz to an i5 is hardly an upgrade. Don't do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it really is a large upgrade. The PII 965 hits a wall at 3.8GHz where the i5 2500k can hit 5GHz (and I have the cooling to hit that.) Even stock the i5 2500k performs as well as an OC'd 965.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899976:date=Feb 5 2012, 09:18 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 5 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didnt max say in that multi threading video that he is currently converting all LUA to C and that it was a lot of work etc?
    i wonder how many players more we would have if there was something like a %40 increase in performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Eeeehm, what? You mean moving performance-heavy parts into the engine? Lua is here to stay. Anyway, 40% would still not be enough by a long shot, servers should be able to sustain the maximum tick-rate no matter what, and not just only on 5GHz machines. On top of that, the tick-rate ceiling ought to be upped to at least 60 before v1.0, that's a long road ahead.