Are you asking for a refund? Here is my response.

haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
edited February 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
In response to a thread where Cory had to post this:

<!--QuoteBegin-cory+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cory)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anyone who has emailed us to ask for a refund has received one. Please email %%%@### with your information and we will refund your $35. Give it a few days, though, since we only have one person overseeing refunds, and he's also our technical artist and is quite busy working on the game, so he is not always able to get to it right away.

Thanks.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyone who is actually asking for a refund are selfish ######s. You paid $35 for a cheap copy, early access and to support the development of it. Now you ask for your money back because you're not happy with the leaps and bounds this small indie development team has made to produce a AAA title?

You are taking back $35. $35 which buys these guys 5 meals and keeps the team going for another day. Without the money they can't do it. They have to get paid, and currently they are mostly working for very cheap amounts and have been promised a cut of the profits after release.

These guys are not in paradise. They are stuck, feeling bad for taking your money because afterwards you tell them you think their work sucks and they aren't productive enough. For anyone interested in how much work has actually gone into this game, look at the art, the code or the engine breakdown. I can see how you would think they are all singing, laughing and enthusiastic because of the interviews, nshd2 videos and press they do. But really, they are probably staring at their computers trying to fix things that you complain about thinking "I bet they will just complain about something else after I fix this" instead of "I hope they notice and are appreciative of the hard work I am putting in to making this better.

The great thing about the NS2 team is that they actually listen to their players. Even in NS1 (even after flayra, max and matt/cory? weren't working on it) they developers were strongly working hand-in-hand with the community, and nothing has changed. If you identify a problem or put forward good constructive points or criticism they READ the forums and take it on board.

I'm surprised matt STILL posts in these threads with answers after it's been said ever since the beta was released. Yes the performance is not fantastic, but did you play it 6 months ago when you only got 1/3 the FPS you did now and had millions of graphical bugs? If they continue to go at this rate they performance will be excellent by release.

As far as the actual beta goes, I agree with some that I think they released the 'beta' too soon and it actually should have been an alpha. However the game at the moment is excellent. It is playable, you can have fun, good and interesting games on it and this is represented by the number of players it is attracting in every single server that is hosted.

The more you support them the better your game will be and the more they will enjoy making it for you (and probably enhance their productivity!)

TL;DR
Don't be selfish, the money means little to you but a lot to them. They are working as hard as they can and have come leaps and bounds.

Comments

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with your post, but it is a tough industry the gaming industry, lots of age groups to cater for.
    But yes, it's only $35 for being looked after very well with Unknown Worlds :)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    While i agree with the post, i don't think this forum is the place to insult any members of the community.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    Best $35 i've spent on a game in the last couple years tbh. 99.9% of recent fps games are trash. This game is fun even in beta if you have a reasonably non-garbage computer.

I'll buy an extra copy if you nerf the shotgun and give the lerk back it's hide armor!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited February 2012
    Gah... I don't think there's any nice way around these.

At the same time I have huge respect for people like UWE folks for deciding to do their own thing, but at the same time I feel it's a world of business where you pick your way of doing things and take the flak if it comes. There are probably a dozen other developers, music artists, writers and all that who would like to have the money as much as UWE does.

I'd really like to see UWE having the funds to realize whatever vision they've got going, but I don't think anyone is really in a position to start moralizing others for their decision. The very basis of all this is still cold business, everything else is extra if someone decides to give that. If you feel UWE is worth something extra (as wonderfully many people seem be thinking), give them that and let the others make their own decisions.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    *waits for an admin to close the thread. the thread started by a guy complaining about people complaining*
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
    By asking for your money back?
    <!--quoteo(post=1900551:date=Feb 7 2012, 03:56 AM:name=haymo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (haymo @ Feb 7 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By asking for your money back?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...wut?
  • meb3meb3 Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106078Members
    ah, thanks to this thread i remembered that i can still get a refund

ty haymo!
    i dont think you know what you posted. u basically said ###### you to people with computers that can't handle this game and to people who are waiting for a game they paid for a couple years ago. either way you aren't going to make friends lol
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900571:date=Feb 7 2012, 10:32 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Feb 7 2012, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i dont think you know what you posted. u basically said ###### you to people with computers that can't handle this game and to people who are waiting for a game they paid for a couple years ago. either way you aren't going to make friends lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry that's bull######, people who seriously "waited for years" would know NS1, UWE and how they work and wouldn't ask for a refund. Because these people know that UWE needs the money to keep on going.

The game has made great strides in the last year and it's finnaly coming together. I can't even think of a word that describeds people that buy a game for early beta access and then complain about the beta state and demand a refund.

Bluntly said those people are stupid and belong to a breed of "gamers" that i don't want anything to do with...

But everybody who has waited for NS2 should know that NS allways had been about the community working together with the developer. Yes it might be slower compared to AAA developement, but at least the community has a real say in how the game plays and is balanced.

That's something that's long gone, most other developers especially the AAA one have long ago lost touch with their fanbase and what a "game" should be. So people should SUPPORT UWE for their apporach instead of giving them extra work and headaches by asking for refunds for a BETA....
    <!--quoteo(post=1900573:date=Feb 7 2012, 04:39 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Feb 7 2012, 04:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry that's bull######, people who seriously "waited for years" would know NS1, UWE and how they work and wouldn't ask for a refund. Because these people know that UWE needs the money to keep on going.

The game has made great strides in the last year and it's finnaly coming together. I can't even think of a word that describeds people that buy a game for early beta access and then complain about the beta state and demand a refund.

Bluntly said those people are stupid and belong to a breed of "gamers" that i don't want anything to do with...

But everybody who has waited for NS2 should know that NS allways had been about the community working together with the developer. Yes it might be slower compared to AAA developement, but at least the community has a real say in how the game plays and is balanced.

That's something that's long gone, most other developers especially the AAA one have long ago lost touch with their fanbase and what a "game" should be. So people should SUPPORT UWE for their apporach instead of giving them extra work and headaches by asking for refunds for a BETA....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*sigh*..... some people were sold on the "onos reveal" and the trailer, so not all the people in ns2 are from ns1.... the game has made great strides, u are correct... however, the alpha was barely an alpha (more like a contest to see whose computer could handle the game), and now the beta is actually more like a beta.

it is slower, yes, because of a small team. but u forget the amount the devs got from pre-orders. i did it. they got a ton of cash. if they wanted to they could ask the community for more money (make some deal like a different color _________) and hire more people. instead they choose to keep a small team. this is soley their decision.

asking for a refund should be no problem. even though UWE is a small company, they are, after all, a company. refunds are necessary. if they didn't give refunds they'd get a bad rep. plus (as stated by other community members) the release date was slightly confusing. some people figured the beta would be playable on the required system stats....
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I am not a fan of these arguments.

I'm sure most of the people that bought NS2 know their own minds. If some of you want to get a refund, then you can do so: mail store@unknownworlds.com with your purchase information.

Getting upset with us is one thing, but what really gets on my nerves is when factions of this community start trying to tear chunks out of one another over an issue that is really quite straightforward. If you are happy with your NS2 purchase then that's great and we're incredibly grateful for your support, but please don't start a shouting match when the issue of refunds are brought up. If you don't want to be a part of NS2 any more, then refunding you isn't an issue, but there's no call to hang around yelling at people.

I'm sure you all have better things you could be doing with your time.
This discussion has been closed.