Stop Parasiting Power Nodes

FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
<div class="IPBDescription">it's dumb</div>I have no idea why this annoys me, but it does. Maybe it's the idea that a teammate had nothing better to do than to switch to parasite, aim at a power node, click mouse1, then switch back to bite and hop along merrily, all the while ignoring whatever pressing fight his teammates were otherwise engaged in.

Oh thank you for pointing out this power node. I had no idea that it is still in the exact same spot that it was in the last time I played this map. But I can definitely tell it's there now. I mean, who can ignore this big red circle and the words POWER NODE sitting right in the center of my hud, drawing unnecessary attention to a 0 res structure that marines can rebuild in 3 seconds? Gee thanks for your amazing tactical insight.

Haha wow I think I need to take a break from this game :p

Comments

• NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    But i want my 1 score point!

just kidding :O
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe this power node looked like threat to retardoskulk?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    It'd probably be best if parasites had a lifespan. Like 15-20 seconds on a structure and the parasite dies, as it can't really live off machinery.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kind of veering off-topic, but powernodes are still a bit weird. If a powernode is at 1% health, it's a pain for the marines to fix because they need a welder. But if it's at 0%, they can fix it in 3 seconds.

So the best thing currently is to eat powernodes to 1% and at a crucial point deliver the last bite/spike/swipe/spit/whatever.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1910181:date=Mar 5 2012, 10:43 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 5 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of veering off-topic, but powernodes are still a bit weird. If a powernode is at 1% health, it's a pain for the marines to fix because they need a welder. But if it's at 0%, they can fix it in 3 seconds.

So the best thing currently is to eat powernodes to 1% and at a crucial point deliver the last bite/spike/swipe/spit/whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am doing just that. Sometimes i wait for a marine with a welder while cloaked :P
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910181:date=Mar 5 2012, 10:43 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 5 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of veering off-topic, but powernodes are still a bit weird. If a powernode is at 1% health, it's a pain for the marines to fix because they need a welder. But if it's at 0%, they can fix it in 3 seconds.

So the best thing currently is to eat powernodes to 1% and at a crucial point deliver the last bite/spike/swipe/spit/whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I made a thread about this when it was introduced, but nobody seemed to really care beyond a few people.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116574" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116574</a>
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nobody cared because it's a non-issue. Someone explain why this is an actual problem rather than just pointing out that it is odd.
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    edited March 2012
    <strike>It was actually really helpful in NS1 to parasite nodes. It was a good way to let your teammates know that they need to take an RT down. Seems like resources were more important back them...</strike>

Sorry. I misread the OP!
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910209:date=Mar 5 2012, 01:45 PM:name=Deity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deity @ Mar 5 2012, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody cared because it's a non-issue. Someone explain why this is an actual problem rather than just pointing out that it is odd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's counter-intuitive and it causes new players to punish their teams/help the enemy. Veteran NS2 players can just adapt to taking the node down to 1%, but every time some newbie comes in and tries to help by finishing off what looks like an enemy structure, they screw over their team.

Either nodes should take seconds to repair fully, or they should take a while to resocket; the current discrepancy makes for confusing gameplay.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1910214:date=Mar 5 2012, 08:55 PM:name=Cerebral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerebral @ Mar 5 2012, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was actually really helpful in NS1 to parasite nodes. It was a good way to let your teammates know that they need to take an RT down. Seems like resources were more important back them...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He is talking about parasiting powernodes, not resnodes.
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    wow... talk about "firstworldproblem bugs"

It boggles my mind that "after playing the game extensively" you haven't noticed that sometimes people do it at game start to let the rest of the team know exactly where the marine base is. Or when the node is critical and you want to let the rest of the team node to attack it.

I'll be sure to keep parasiting them just to annoy you :)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Meh its nice to tag buildings so teammates can see what marines have built, and get around to killing them.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910240:date=Mar 5 2012, 03:57 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Mar 5 2012, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh its nice to tag buildings so teammates can see what marines have built, and get around to killing them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The annoying thing is they stay tagged until destroyed. So the default alien has the power of a game's worth of commander scanning.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Parasiting power nodes helps the 90% of teammates that started playing this game this week and don't know where in the room they are. Do your part, parasite a power node.
  • RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    I think that parasite should allow the commander and players to also view health of targets remotely. That would actually be a bit more useful. Also, I agree with parasite being removed after a duration on buildings, but 15-20 seconds is FAR too short. It should be removed after around ~5 minutes.

Now, Parasite is useful for a lot of things, especially mines. Seeing as, despite their visibility, I at least, Tend to get myself blown up alot, I tend to parasite them, to make sure that you get a red border and text in addition to the actual model, especially if it is, say, right below a vent.

Oh, and I have the same issue with power nodes. It needs to be consistant, or its a problem. I think that a good solution, is to allow repairs on the power node, but have it be around 5x slower than it is with a welder, but welder speed is unchanged. That way, you *Can* repair, but it is ineffeciant. Also, if the power is knocked out, It will still take the 5x as long to repair without a welder, but be normal speed with welder. However, once emergency lights come back on, it repairs equally fast with both. (or welder is faster, like 50%)
    That would fix it, and remove the inconsistency.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910179:date=Mar 5 2012, 12:39 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 5 2012, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe this power node looked like threat to retardoskulk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly, which is the reason that same skulk decided to eat that power node for 3 mins, while he kept hearing <i>"Our Hive is Under Attack!"</i>
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1910218:date=Mar 5 2012, 12:10 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 5 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's counter-intuitive and it causes new players to punish their teams/help the enemy. Veteran NS2 players can just adapt to taking the node down to 1%, but every time some newbie comes in and tries to help by finishing off what looks like an enemy structure, they screw over their team.

Either nodes should take seconds to repair fully, or they should take a while to resocket; the current discrepancy makes for confusing gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

i remember the first time this occurred to me.. i screamed it across the mic to all the aliens thinking i was so smart for seeing an exploit lol.
    definitely needs to be addressed... somehow?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    So instead of destroying the node and depriving the enemy of resources... you just want to make marines weld it? If they notice?
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    @OP I've parasite power nodes and extractors before I kill them. It is important to mark them so the rest of the team can find them in case I die.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910244:date=Mar 5 2012, 04:05 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 5 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The annoying thing is they stay tagged until destroyed. So the default alien has the power of a game's worth of commander scanning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really. Power nodes exist before the game even starts, but the other things that scans show you don't exist until players make them.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910196:date=Mar 5 2012, 01:54 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 5 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I made a thread about this when it was introduced, but nobody seemed to really care beyond a few people.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116574" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116574</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um, except at 1% the node still gives <i>power </i>to the room.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910261:date=Mar 5 2012, 04:44 PM:name=Majin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Majin @ Mar 5 2012, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exactly, which is the reason that same skulk decided to eat that power node for 3 mins, while he kept hearing <i>"Our Hive is Under Attack!"</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't have ranted if power nodes were even worth biting, but at present they are not. For 90% of the game, they are irrelevant.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    There really isn't any reason for power nodes to be parasiteable. It just creates HUD spam. Although structure parasites should be less intrusive either way IMO.
  • jonatronjonatron Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148104Members
    Alright i will stop doing that, and start hitting them to 1%.

Thanks for the tips

regards,
    one of the noobs
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910177:date=Mar 5 2012, 11:29 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 5 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no idea why this annoys me, but it does. Maybe it's the idea that a teammate had nothing better to do than to switch to parasite, aim at a power node, click mouse1, then switch back to bite and hop along merrily, all the while ignoring whatever pressing fight his teammates were otherwise engaged in.

Oh thank you for pointing out this power node. I had no idea that it is still in the exact same spot that it was in the last time I played this map. But I can definitely tell it's there now. I mean, who can ignore this big red circle and the words POWER NODE sitting right in the center of my hud, drawing unnecessary attention to a 0 res structure that marines can rebuild in 3 seconds? Gee thanks for your amazing tactical insight.

Haha wow I think I need to take a break from this game :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont do this, but I see the applications early game. Only unlocked power nodes can be parasited.

<!--quoteo(post=1910301:date=Mar 5 2012, 07:37 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Mar 5 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Um, except at 1% the node still gives <i>power </i>to the room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But when the ######e goes down it can be killed in 1 bite to plunge the room into darkness and turn the tables on the marines. Also they cant repair it back up without welders or MACs. Heck, I used to do this just for the timed darkness in the pre-welder days (good ol' times!).
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910315:date=Mar 6 2012, 02:15 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 6 2012, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't have ranted if power nodes were even worth biting, but at present they are not. For 90% of the game, they are irrelevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^THIS.

As it is now. A skulk loses 30 seconds (?) while chewing a power node down. A marine can set it up in 5 seconds(?). This way the alien team hurts itself, every time someone wastes time chewing on a power node. They are only useful to attack if the marines have a pg / sentries in this room or it is the marine main base.
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910288:date=Mar 6 2012, 08:44 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 6 2012, 08:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@OP I've parasite power nodes and extractors before I kill them. It is important to mark them so the rest of the team can find them in case I die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. It has nothing to do with the measly +1 point or people doing it because they're "bored" or for "fun", it's almost always because it's important to mark them so the rest of the team knows where Marines are.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    What about the benefit of having a dark room?
    <!--quoteo(post=1910489:date=Mar 6 2012, 08:32 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Mar 6 2012, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about the benefit of having a dark room?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

most times not worth the bother, because of the fast rebuild time. It takes feeled 30sec to destroy a powernode while its rebuild in feeled 3sec.
  • InfraRedInfraRed Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12508Members, Constellation
    I'm guessing it's a simple as trying to parasite the marine building it and missing, therefore hitting the power node instead. At least that's the only time I parasite a power node, when I've missed the marine building/repairing it!