Question: Who really WANTS to play alien?

DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Marines are always full....</div>Hey everyone,

I am posting this because a few days ago, a friend of mine and I were playing some rounds and NS2 and we really like to play marines. We always have to wait ours to join the Marines and while one of us is waiting in the Readyroom with 3 others who want to be marines too (and not aliens), my friend asked "Well obviously noone really wants to play aliens." And I thought to myself "Well, that is kind of true, I dont like playing aliens either." Dont get me wrong, I am not a newb who hates the concept, I love the asymmetry of the teams, I am an oldschool NS1 player and I loved playing aliens back then, but since NS2 I somehow never really enjoyed it.

I am not really sure about the real reasons behind this, but I think it is not up to me to exactly know them, because if it was that easy I would be an awesome gamedesigner... which Im definitely not. I just want to point some things out that could give some people some food for thought:
I dont really enjoy being an alien anymore, I dont like it becaue I dont really understand the whole thing. The exact who-does-what in the alien team, who is the commander, what does he do and why, all that is not really clear to me. I know, you can read about it and you can ask ppl about it, but I am sure, many players dont understand the alien team on the deepest level, because it is not intuitive. It is not the complexity that makes it confusing, it is the way it is designed, so ... well... unnatural.

In NS1 it was easy, you had 3 hives, some alien fighting classes and the gorge- he could build everything.
Now there are the fighting aliens again, the commander (who builds hives and the support buildings) and the gorge (who builds cysts and hydras). Do Gorges and commanders have a shared tactic? Do they need to work together? And if so - do they really do it? I am not sure and ingame I dont see much communication on the alien side happening that could tell me the answer.

I think right now something is really wrong with the general concept of the alien team because most players WANT to play marine and not alien. Many only play aliens because otherwise they could not play at all because the marines are full.

tl;dr: Somehow everyone wants to play marine, nobody wants to play alien - Aliens should be more fun to play!

Comments

• pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910622:date=Mar 6 2012, 12:52 PM:name=DeKay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeKay @ Mar 6 2012, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey everyone,

I am posting this because a few days ago, a friend of mine and I were playing some rounds and NS2 and we really like to play marines. We always have to wait ours to join the Marines and while one of us is waiting in the Readyroom with 3 others who want to be marines too (and not aliens), my friend asked "Well obviously noone really wants to play aliens." And I thought to myself "Well, that is kind of true, I dont like playing aliens either." Dont get me wrong, I am not a newb who hates the concept, I love the asymmetry of the teams, I am an oldschool NS1 player and I loved playing aliens back then, but since NS2 I somehow never really enjoyed it.

I am not really sure about the real reasons behind this, but I think it is not up to me to exactly know them, because if it was that easy I would be an awesome gamedesigner... which Im definitely not. I just want to point some things out that could give some people some food for thought:
    I dont really enjoy being an alien anymore, I dont like it becaue I dont really understand the whole thing. The exact who-does-what in the alien team, who is the commander, what does he do and why, all that is not really clear to me. I know, you can read about it and you can ask ppl about it, but I am sure, many players dont understand the alien team on the deepest level, because it is not intuitive. It is not the complexity that makes it confusing, it is the way it is designed, so ... well... unnatural.

In NS1 it was easy, you had 3 hives, some alien fighting classes and the gorge- he could build everything.
    Now there are the fighting aliens again, the commander (who builds hives and the support buildings) and the gorge (who builds cysts and hydras). Do Gorges and commanders have a shared tactic? Do they need to work together? And if so - do they really do it? I am not sure and ingame I dont see much communication on the alien side happening that could tell me the answer.

I think right now something is really wrong with the general concept of the alien team because most players WANT to play marine and not alien. Many only play aliens because otherwise they could not play at all because the marines are full.

tl;dr: Somehow everyone wants to play marine, nobody wants to play alien - Aliens should be more fun to play!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I enjoy playing Aliens more than Marines because of the abilities the characters have. I am also a fairly decent alien commander(Which I would prefer being an alien commander over a Marine Commander). I do feel a need for the commander and the gorges to be on the same page. The Aliens also win more than the marines which also makes it more fun. :)
  • SantoSanto Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147548Members
    I'm playing alien as often as I can :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like playing aliens, but I don't like playing aliens all the time. However, I do find many more players who only go marines than only go aliens.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm quite the opposite, I play way more alien than marine. And yes, generally gorges and the commander work together, especially in the beginning of the round since they can help the commander get resource nodes faster and place defenses in newly built hives.

The alien team might be slightly more confusing if you're playing the game for the very first time since you won't know which class does what. That's not a problem on the marine side since that territory is already familiar for most of the people. Everyone knows what a shotgun or a rifle does and knows how to use them in a game.

I'd imagine a small in-game tutorial that explains the general mechanics for both teams would help a bit, but that's probably not very high on their list right now, especially since the game is still constantly changing.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I hate playing marines, so boring while aliens constantly shift playstyle.

About gorges and commanders - early game the gorge builds some cysts, since the commander will be short on energy as the hive does not start with much. As the game gets further, gorges are necessary to lock down rooms as whips don't do the job.

Late game, the bond ends. As gorges begin to support onos instead and bile bomb buildings. Commanders end up bored, replacing buildings lost to gernades and occasional harvester - some commanders produce whips to charge around with, and spam umbra and cloak. Others just leave the hive, and spend all their res on an onos and rampage.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of course a lot of people want to play marines because it's close to something they've played in previous games. Aliens are OP though.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Answer: I do.

I'll never get tired of lerkin' it up.
  • twostrokertwostroker Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144573Members
    what makes marines a little more fun is that

marines need to do stuff that isnt just shooting and often more team work in marines..

aliens often fly all over the place and only gorge actually do things other than attacking
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It's a time-honored tradition of NS, and the battle cry of the ready-room is "STACK RINES!!!!!!"
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I like to play Marines because of being in squads, duking it out with fancy guns and gadgets (it's like getting yourself a new toy to play with :P)

However, I am a proud alien helper most of the time. Skulking it up w/ Parasite n ambushes, Gorging to help Khamm., Lerking to support and spore, you name it. What can I say, I like class-based shooters (TF2).

I think it's due to Kharaa gameplay being less polished than the Frontiersmen side, for both lifeforms and Commander alike.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    There is some games where nobody wants to go alien, everybody is waiting on the marine side to join, it's not so frequent but it does happen. The contrary, I don't remember ever seeing it.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I prefer going Kharaa.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i think aliens lack a lot of team-play in pubs. the level of communication just isn't up to par with marines. this could be due to a variety of factors: no simultaneous spawning means that there are rarely ever any "wave spawns" where multiple aliens start at the same place. similarly, gorges are fairly self-sufficient while building so not many aliens stick around to cover for each other; you can't interrupt building a base like you can by rushing a marine expansion, so there's no need for aliens to individually stick around a harvester or hydra farm; their presence doesn't directly impact the availability of resources to that alien, and therefore only people who are aware of the metagame spend any effort to defend them. lastly, all the alien classes except gorge are highly mobile, and so if you split up for even a moment you're on very different parts of the map, and since solo lifeforms can be fairly effective, there's no pressure to stick together like there is on the marine team.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think on the AU servers we see players stacking either side equally, it varies. I personally either go random or onto whatever team has the people I want to play with.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1910689:date=Mar 7 2012, 12:42 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 7 2012, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer going Kharaa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    Heres Kinda how i see it -

(im sure alot of people will rage and argue with this comment but if you think about it its really true)

first off at least innital its more of a skill challenge to play marines -

youv gotta cover alot of ground on a slow character and the faster you move the more you make yourself open to ambushes, turning a corner into the mouth of an alien, and being attacked from some way your not defending anticipating
    not to mention building while covering by yourself or even in a group is one of the hardest situations for a marine

now aliens deff has skill involved in staying alive but its pretty safe to to say at least early game as a skulk you can land some easy kills just by knowing the map where to hide and were to grap a free meal, somone reloading / someone building / someone with back turned/ cloaking

late game aliens usuly seem to be outnumbered 1 fade vs 5 marines isnt uncommon so theres more of a skilled alien side thing

marines = constant use of mouse high reaction Skill
    marines = tracking skills
    marines = precision aiming over distance
    marines = perception skill, finding small enemies above below beside and behind you

alien skills = patience
    alien skills = cunning
    alien skills = movement

early game marines have more of a challenge imo
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I personally prefer playing alien (and never evolving, or gorging to dump res then back to skulk). I find many newer players stick to marines for a while as they learn the game.

Overall though, there are many things that decide what team people pick, for instance I choose by:

1) If lots of good players go one team, I go the other (I love killing Treffnix, Skie, swalk, etc).
    2) I choose the opposite team to annoying people (Who spend the game telling others what to do on voice chat, hi MPaC) as it is fun killing them.
    3) If one team has lost a lot recently, I try and help the others win. I dislike seeing aliens, or marines, winning every game.
    4) If one side is obviously underpowered in a patch, I will play that more (As it will be the most difficult to win in clan matches).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Full time Skulk here and sometimes Gorging for the fun of it or if the Khammander needs some extra stuff. Grenades make me angry :P
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    When the Shift is added, aliens will feel a lot more like in NS1 (or else it will be a failure)

I random select every game that I'm not scrimming because anything else would feel dirty.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1910761:date=Mar 7 2012, 01:11 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 7 2012, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When the Shift is added, aliens will feel a lot more like in NS1 (or else it will be a failure)

I random select every game that I'm not scrimming because anything else would feel dirty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I random as well :(

but somehow I always end up on Aliens, even when the bloody teams are even!!!@#!@#!#$@#@#$ I'm looking at you Brian!
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    i like both equally tbh
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910806:date=Mar 6 2012, 09:50 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 6 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like both equally tbh<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

qft. although, if i go marine i'd prefer to command... but i actually prefer to command on either side. meh.
  • humpacactus1humpacactus1 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910622:date=Mar 6 2012, 12:52 PM:name=DeKay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeKay @ Mar 6 2012, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont really enjoy being an alien anymore, I dont like it becaue I dont really understand the whole thing. The exact who-does-what in the alien team, who is the commander, what does he do and why, all that is not really clear to me. I know, you can read about it and you can ask ppl about it, but I am sure, many players dont understand the alien team on the deepest level, because it is not intuitive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As a new player who hasn't played NS1 in years, I have to say I definitely agree. I don't hate playing aliens at all but it's not as fun playing a team you don't fully understand. Even some of the simple mechanics have confused me.

For example, the skulk not being able to leap without 2 hives. I wasn't sure if it was a bug/upgrade issue/etc when I first noticed that only occasionally I could leap. These things aren't really crucial, just confusing which can become off putting for some. Of course asking someone quickly cleared up this problem.

But even not fully understanding what some of the alien abilites do (although most are pretty basic) is also a challenge. I don't mind asking others and experimenting myself but I'm afraid I'm hindering the team in the process.

Being that its beta I'm sure they will have more "tutorial" type options soon enough but I can definitely understand some of the frustration.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    oi, don't steal my avatar!

and i love playing aliens, often moreso than marines.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910816:date=Mar 6 2012, 10:38 PM:name=humpacactus1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (humpacactus1 @ Mar 6 2012, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a new player who hasn't played NS1 in years, I have to say I definitely agree. I don't hate playing aliens at all but it's not as fun playing a team you don't fully understand. Even some of the simple mechanics have confused me.

For example, the skulk not being able to leap without 2 hives. I wasn't sure if it was a bug/upgrade issue/etc when I first noticed that only occasionally I could leap. These things aren't really crucial, just confusing which can become off putting for some. Of course asking someone quickly cleared up this problem.

But even not fully understanding what some of the alien abilites do (although most are pretty basic) is also a challenge. I don't mind asking others and experimenting myself but I'm afraid I'm hindering the team in the process.

Being that its beta I'm sure they will have more "tutorial" type options soon enough but I can definitely understand some of the frustration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was a problem in NS1 as well, which is why all the people familiar with CS/Halo/whatever played marines exclusively.
    At the end of the day, if you want to play this game you have to learn how the aliens work. Beware, though: once you get in that mindset it doesn't leave you. You'll sit down to play a team fortress game and only want to be the scout/spy, and that kind of thing.
  • humpacactus1humpacactus1 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148289Members
    Ya I can completely see what your saying and honestly I don't mind the learning curve at all as I've been enjoying the game a bunch, and it's quite fun learning/mastering the different aliens.

I just hate the fact that I'm not helping my team as much because I don't know some of the mechanics completely just yet.

But here's to learning! : )
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    i always join random.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Me, aliens are alot more fun.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2012
    I quite like playing aliens, they have less dumb things happening to them than marines. Their structures are generally better, they self-heal and build, their hive has spawning built in, they unlock tech by building more hives, their infesation gives them a very good intelligence system, the only weak thing about them is that they have no general combat units until hive 2.

It's also easier to be useful, just go gorge and build stuff/spread infestation/heal people, or go lerk and hang out on the ceiling shooting at people, then wait for onos and run around smashing everything.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited March 2012
    Random most of the time.

I like to play both, and enjoy feeling the difference between the sides.

What I like about Marines is they usually have a commander with voice comm, and they work together. It's fun as a marine to use all the different weapons and gadgets.

With aliens it's hit or miss. You might get a comm as active as the marine one, or you might just as often have to debate with the team who will comm. Most players do not want to play alien comm there's not much interesting to do as the alien comm, none of the structures are fun to use, in fact they feel useless, and infestation is tedious. Usually only half the alien team listens to the commander.

Aliens also lack lots of fun gadgets. You basically have one attack, which can make the classes feel repetitive especially when you're trying to destroy a structure. The onos is really enjoyable because it has 3 quite different attacks. I really enjoyed the gorge when hydras were useful. I find the lerk nice to fly around but spikes are boring, you can hardly even see them.

More people would play aliens if their attacks didn't feel so pathetic. You don't have a feeling of being a deadly beast that can rip a marine to shreds. It's more like a game of tag. You tag a marine by clicking your mouse when you're next to him, then if you timed it right a wiggly ragdoll will fall down with no signs of injuries, then it will vanish into thin air in seconds. There's no pay off.

I remember Charlie says he doesn't want gore and dismemberment but UWE need to make the aliens feel more potent. Only the Onos has that feeling with his awesome stomping sounds, the momentum, the brilliant attack animations and his sheer size.

UWE need to work more on making the aliens weird, creepy and violent, a counterpoint to the sleek, cool and polished marine side. As a lerk I wanna be able to fly into marines and mess them up Hitchcock's Birds style. I want the skulk to bite off marine armour, leave deep wounds, and chew their corpses for hp. I want the Fade to slice and dice them, send limbs flying before disappearing away.