Power Node Strategy

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">game strategy, not game design</div>So I don't know if everyone already does this, but it seems like most people I play with don't. So most people, when they see a power node, choose to destroy it as quickly as possible, but I think this is a bad approach. By destroying a power node, you are just causing a slight inconvenience that requires a marine to come push E on it for about 5 seconds to undo everything you just did. A better approach is to damage the power node to 1%. This does two things.
1. It forces the marines to either bring a MAC or a welder. Both cost res and both can be destroyed. Kind of like a sniper shooting to wound in order to get others who come to help.
2. If the marines choose not to fortify and repair the node, they have a massive weakness. Instead of them walking in and building the power node to 100%, you now have something that dies in 1 hit and disables everything that have in the area. The blackout is also extremely helpful.

This obviously doesn't apply to nodes that are already powering entire bases or outposts.

Comments

• RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there are a bunch of threads about this already, but yes, everything you said is true. This tactic will never work on a public server though, even if you try to use it yourself some other player is going to kill the node anyway, which is why I generally ignore the nodes completely if it's not powering anything important.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I thought about that, too. But one should calculate how long the RT (sometimes 2) that is connected to the powernode needs to get the marines the res either for a welder or a MAC back. Sometimes you just don't have the time to kill the RT. And no res is important. Know hat I mean?
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If there are res towers powered by the node then you kill the res tower, not the node. The node takes almost as long to kill as the res tower, but the difference is that it will be rebuilt in 3 seconds with no cost at all. If you manage to chew up the RT they have to spend res to replace it and it also takes longer to build.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    If I'm going to put the time in to chew it to 1%, I might as well go one more bite and get the lights turned off in that room, too. I expect we're going to see this mechanic change shortly.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i am actually doing this, but i'd really prefer a change of mechanics instead. the tactic feels unnatural as well as the fact that marines can repair destroyed power nodes but not the damaged ones.
    it does work in public by the way, but only if you are munching on it all alone.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited March 2012
    If the power nodes were tied to other functions (not just building structures) then aliens would have an incentive to destroy them on sight. I was thinking maybe only allowing med/ammo packs to be dropped in powered areas, but that would make offensive pushing very difficult. Attaching energy related abilities (like nano shield) to power nodes would be a good idea I think (is it currently?), but then more such abilities would need to be added, or their importance increased.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I stopped doing this at all in pub. Why? With 100% chance another lerk/gorge/skulk/fade/onos see the 1% node and kills it.

There is only 1 reason to kill the node (beside the marine start) there are sentrys covering a pg, on hive 1.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    edited March 2012
    All Depends on the situation and location of the node.

For Example, Let us say you are an alien on summit and the marines have started in sub access, Aliens have started in Atrium. If a marine team decides to build in Crevice or Reactor core (on the complete opposite side of the map next to the alien spawn) then im not going to leave the power nod alive.

Why? For 1 the chances of the marines putting the effort into trying to fix a node on the opposite side of the map are slim to none, 2 it also disables them from insta building a phase gate in a room, flooding in and setting up a forward base (Trust me, ive commanded marines enough times to see how devastating it can be to set up a quickly built, but heavily fortified phase gate). Of course they can always repair the node first, but its a method of warning to both the commander and the surrounding areas.

But there are also times when leaving the node at a low hp value (I tend to bring it down far enough to have the alarm going off and yellow lights so that another team mate doesnt run up and finish off a 1% HP node, it also screams at the marines "Repair me repair me" with the alarm and flashing lights.) then i will wait patiently in the dark corner of the room and await some poor marine who wants to help his team by repairing the node, Before he realizes it he only helps me get dinner
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    This has been mentioned a couple times before but I'm not convinced. If aliens forgo destroying the node completely marines will just forgo welding it and it will sit at 1% forever. So a skulk wasted precious time with no effect. The situation that the alien team can capitalize on this by turning off the power at just the right moment when they push into the room and win the push because of this is so rare that it will almost never happen in pub play. In reality it's a net loss for the alien team imo.
    <!--quoteo(post=1912082:date=Mar 11 2012, 04:59 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Mar 11 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been mentioned a couple times before but I'm not convinced. If aliens forgo destroying the node completely marines will just forgo welding it and it will sit at 1% forever. So a skulk wasted precious time with no effect. The situation that the alien team can capitalize on this by turning off the power at just the right moment when they push into the room and win the push because of this is so rare that it will almost never happen in pub play. In reality it's a net loss for the alien team imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would you allow the functioning of an entire outpost to ride on a power node that would go down in a single parasite?
    This is a checkmate situation. The marines have two options. Either forego building anything past a res tower, or spend the resources to repair the node. Either way, aliens win.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I just don't see how this works out. If it is a major marine outpost then when did you have the time to chomp down the power node to 1%? Call in support and raze it if marines are giving you free reign over it. If it's not a major outpost then just take down the rt instead. As you said yourself rebuilding power nodes is so easy for marines even if it goes down at just the right moment it will immediately be up again. I constantly see marines rebuilding power nodes even with fades and onoses around.

It doesn't offset the disadvantage of you being useless for 30 seconds biting down the power node to 1% when you could have taken down the phase gate instead. It's an idea that sounds good in theory but doesn't work out that way in an actual game.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    The simple fix to the problem of Power Nodes is to make them only fixable with a Welder
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912122:date=Mar 11 2012, 07:11 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Mar 11 2012, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just don't see how this works out. If it is a major marine outpost then when did you have the time to chomp down the power node to 1%? Call in support and raze it if marines are giving you free reign over it. If it's not a major outpost then just take down the rt instead. As you said yourself rebuilding power nodes is so easy for marines even if it goes down at just the right moment it will immediately be up again. I constantly see marines rebuilding power nodes even with fades and onoses around.

It doesn't offset the disadvantage of you being useless for 30 seconds biting down the power node to 1% when you could have taken down the phase gate instead. It's an idea that sounds good in theory but doesn't work out that way in an actual game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well different situations require different approaches. There are times when you destroy the power node, times when you should not destroy it.

An obvious example of when you should destroy it is when it is powering the marine's main base, and by extension, when it is powering anything more than a resource tower. Disabling these structures is a big plus, and the power outage usually creates a good distraction. However, if your team has no intention of taking the location, attacking the power node is pointless, and structures should be attacked instead.

I played a game last night where a good example of when not to destroy the power node arose. It was on mineshaft, and marines were continuously pushing into crusher from a nearby phase. They would push in with 3 or 4 marines, go straight to the power node, build it, then begin dropping structures. The aliens would then overrun them and destroy everything including the power node. This happened about 4 or 5 times. Each time we had to destroy the power node from 100% to 0%, and each time they would spend roughly 3 seconds building it to full again. What we should have done is just damage the node to +- 1% and leave it like that. It doesn't disadvantage us at all, because it would only take them a few concerted seconds to build it anyway, however it gives us complete control over their structures as we can destroy it at any time. We lose nothing, but gain control.

You know those times when you're running around the map and come across a random marine res tower in the middle of nowhere? You destroy everything there, and when you come back they have rebuilt it. Rather destroy the res tower and put the power node down to 1%. That way, when you come back again you can shut it all down in one bite, and you've given them absolutely nothing, other than 3 seconds not spent building a power node.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Except both strats take the same amount of your time, but the power node one assumes they'll rebuild it and spends all that time up front. It also assumes you won't happen to have a welder marine come along. And when you do shut it down, it only takes three seconds for a marine to turn it back on again, forcing you to waste ANOTHER chunk of time chewing down the second res node ANYWAY. If the power didn't work below 30% or something I could see the appeal, but wasting the time to ALMOST unpower a room is, well, time you could have spent on something important.