Getting stuck or falling through

BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
edited April 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">What to do?</div>There are a few spots in maps where, during normal play, the marine gets stuck. It has happened to me a few times in the same spot on mineshaft, I have attached a screen shot from my perspective when I am stuck.

I'm guessing this is a mapping error, so would the maps have to be redone to fix this?

If we can't fix the maps, can we at least add a /stuck command that bumps the player?

EDIT: How can I attach screenshots? It says the maximum file size I can attach is 30k, which is ridiculous. My 1280x1024 screenshot is 202k.

<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Edit: Changed Topic Description from "Fix maps or add unstuck option" to "What to do?" --Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>
<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Edit: Changed Topic Title, added "or falling through" --Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <b>Easiest way to report the problem is to annotate the spot where you got stuck in-game. To do so, type this into the console:</b>
    <i>annotate text </i>
    <b>Where text is what you want the annotation to say. To view your (and others) annotations, type this into the console:</b>
    <i>displayannotations true</i>

<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->--edit: made this bold! --Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Thanks for the reply. I will do that the next time I'm on mineshaft.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    For posting screenshots, use something like <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">photobucket</a> or <a href="http://www.imgur.com" target="_blank">imgur </a> and paste the image code into your message.

<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->--edit: changed photobucket to a link, added imgur. -Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>
  • GadgetoidGadgetoid Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 149005Members
    I wish I'd read all this before I started playing. I got stuck in a couple of places.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because the marine (and most other classes) start their movement from the speed 0 and accelerates to their maximum movement speed, instead of getting any sort of impulse to their movement speed, they sometimes get stuck on rough terrain and slanted surfaces. This is a bug that will be fixed some time in the future, and hopefully makes it easier to walk on strange terrain.

But for now, use the annotation commands to mark really bad spots and mappers will get around to adding some invisible blocks there so you can't get stuck so easily.
  • fasterofastero Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 149004Members
    You will be stucked if your are sitting over a ressource hole and commander drops an extractor over you.(in crouch pos.) i get stuck once extractor is 100% deployed.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Webbing this topic!
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    when stuck (not even being able to jump) there is
    <b>something you can try as marine with the standard rifle:</b>
    use the alternate attack (riflebutt) on a surface near you, preferably the ground. chance to get out is rather low though (i estimate 20%) but its worth a try before typing "kill" in console.

<b>something you can try as gorge: </b>
    place a hydra right below you, it can lift you out of your position. the chance for this to work is rather high (i estimate 90%), but it obviously costs some ressources.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1914465:date=Mar 18 2012, 01:59 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 18 2012, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Easiest way to report the problem is to annotate the spot where you got stuck in-game. To do so, type this into the console:</b>
    <i>annotate text </i>
    <b>Where text is what you want the annotation to say. To view your (and others) annotations, type this into the console:</b>
    <i>displayannotations true</i>

<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->--edit: made this bold! --Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would you rather these reported in this thread or a new one? I've got a screen shot of me getting stuck in an exo suit on Mineshaft.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1972729:date=Sep 6 2012, 02:39 PM:name=CombatGold1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CombatGold1 @ Sep 6 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you rather these reported in this thread or a new one? I've got a screen shot of me getting stuck in an exo suit on Mineshaft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If its a bug, make a post, if its map design issue, make a annotation.
  • SerathisSerathis Join Date: 2010-06-01 Member: 71919Members
    There were problems on the Foundry map (forgot the name, one with the lava). When playing as Aliens, the top right spawn, sometimes the egg spawned in an enclosed area behind a large vent. This happened only a couple of times.
  • I_Am_The_ForceI_Am_The_Force Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17950Members, Constellation
    Not sure where to put this, but yesterday was playing a game. In the ready room i went to join aliens, and had to drop down a tunnel to do so. But someone joined before me so i was unable to because of the teams. However it had me fall to the bottom of the tunnel and never joined me to the team even after a spot opened. I was unable to get out of the tunnel, and had to close the game and relaunch to join the team.
  • VarantarVarantar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169507Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011539:date=Nov 5 2012, 10:09 PM:name=I_Am_The_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (I_Am_The_Force @ Nov 5 2012, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure where to put this, but yesterday was playing a game. In the ready room i went to join aliens, and had to drop down a tunnel to do so. But someone joined before me so i was unable to because of the teams. However it had me fall to the bottom of the tunnel and never joined me to the team even after a spot opened. I was unable to get out of the tunnel, and had to close the game and relaunch to join the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it should be fixed that indeed. but you can type in console j1 to join marines team or j2 for alliens.
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    The other day I phased through a phase gate as a marine into an onos munching on it. The onos knocked me out of the map on tram and I fell and died. :(
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    On docking I tried to evolve as an Onos in landing pad, there was quite a lot of structures around and when I morphed into an egg it put me over the bottomless pit where I died. :*(
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I managed to get stuck twice over the weekend.

First time I jet packed from mezzanine in to the vent that leads to north tunnels. Got stuck right in the entrance of the vent on the mez side. Crouched with jet running in all directions and couldn't free my self.

Second time I jumped on to the hand rail of the stairs leading to sorting. Stuck in one spot no idea what on.

I've sticky noted the annotate text for next time.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Our commander trapped our Exo once in a CC ghost chair... was hilarious.
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    Yesterday, I got stuck in the ready room while trying to join aliens side!!!