Make power node fun in gameplay ?

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Im curious, in competitive play now that the onos is unlocked can you have one gorge and one onos end a game by catching the marines mostly dead with a downed power node? No ips, no beacon, and no way of winning. Seems kinds cheap to me since you would literally have to beacon any time ANYTHING was on your power node since it is just about never in line of sight from the comm chair.

Had a game i comn'd where we were winning and suppressing the aliens. We were pressuring a hive and a smart little skulk popped the power node in base while an onos, gorge, and 2 skulks chomped my base. They caught me with only 3 marines alive. I dropped a CC and an IP at one of the tech points i had a RT and Power and actually ran from the comm chair through many aliens and the onos to find my way to the other comm chair lol. We actually won that game, but it would have been a crappy defeat due to a stupid mechanic.

Maybe once it is destroyed it should rebuild itself automatically, that way you only have say 10 seconds of down time before it has to be chomped again. So you have a helpful turtle killer but not a "win button".
  • MetalGarretMetalGarret Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138953Members
    Free range structure dropping will make the game even more annoying. The way it is now is now is fine except the fact that it takes 30 seconds to weld back to 100% and only 5 seconds to rebuild completely. Other than that, I see power nodes as important to the core gameplay.

You could move some of the power nodes to make them a bit less vulnerable. (ie flight control.) That way aliens require more tactics to get to it.

But getting rid of them is a bad idea.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It isnt a bad idea, it worked in ns1 just fine and now you have an effective area denial by the aliens with DI. Power nodes arent needed.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I'm indifferent. They go up so easy as marines they feel like an after thought most of the time. I'd be just as happy if they were essentially a "lightswitch" that aliens could destroy for the darkness advantage.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1917341:date=Mar 25 2012, 04:58 PM:name=Tinker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tinker @ Mar 25 2012, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be just as happy if they were essentially a "lightswitch" that aliens could destroy for the darkness advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now theres a ###### good idea

edit: i just thought id add that befor i bought the game and when i was watching the trailers this is what i thought "cutting the power in dynamic environments" meant.
    Just something that aliens need to time perfectly and bring more excitement to repetitive fighting.
    Only to then purchase and start playing the game and realizing that these *power nodes* are pretty much the means to an end.
  • NikNik Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46123Members
    edited March 2012
    Power Nodes ARE tactically important in the game for marines to be able to spread and control areas (Res towers, sentries). It is indeed a great idea in my mind, and a great execution as well. The only problem I see from the whole thread is that it is too easy to kill the <b>main base power node</b>. If that is the only trouble, then it can always be balanced with a wide variety of solutions:
    1) Tougher power nodes in rooms with COM chairs
    2) An upgrade to make them tougher
    3) Adding a "generator" building that will start up and power the room 2 seconds after power node is cut

All these solutions should apply mostly to very strategic locations. What I mean by that is the power nodes at remote locations should still be easy to chew through, but a costly upgrade/building could provide for another layer of defense to an important location.

What you have right now to defend the power node:
    1)sentries
    2)COM shield
    3)welders
    4)blocking it with buildings
    5)MACs

and of coarse the players. In games where these are used, it is usually fairly easy to defend, but another layer could be added for those important locations.
    edited March 2012
    To be fair you are correct in your extrapolation that it is the Main marine base that suffers from the power node problem. It shouldnt even have one really. That is my major gripe about marine side right now (that and map design not taking into account Jet Packs with all the tight hallways and such). A minor one is lack of ninja phase gates. They are no threat now.

A. You cant build on DI
    B. Destroying said DI alerts your enemies.
    C. Anywhere tactically close to the alien spawn is covered in... yep. DI.

Make it so PGs work without power or make building on DI possible, then we can fix some marine game play.

There has not been one post throughout this entire thread giving a good reason to keep power nodes other than "Strategy" but call it what it is, the marine's Achilles Heel AkA "Easy Win Button".

It is NOT needed. *picks up picket sign* Unchain marine building. Down with the node. Unchain marine building. Down with the node. Unchain marine building.

edit*
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What you have right now to defend the power node:
    1)sentries
    2)COM shield
    3)welders
    4)blocking it with buildings
    5)MACs

and of coarse the players. In games where these are used, it is usually fairly easy to defend, but another layer could be added for those important locations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only thing that defends the power node in your list that is viable are Sentries and Players. Players should be in the field and there should be no need for a base guard. Since a power node get killed so quickly the beacon becomes obsolete since there is no power... You cant defend a power node by repairing it while damage is being done. Macs and players alike will be killed. Simple. Shield isnt defending it but delaying it's destruction (it is like welding, basically, instead of giving health you give it more armor.) and blocking it with buildings is a perverse cheat and shouldnt be done.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think power nodes are cool in theory, but in practice it's just one more thing to build for marines and one more thing to destroy for aliens. I'm not convinced it adds any real gameplay value, and it opens up a lot of possible cheap base kills depending on map design. As an alien I always kill RTs first because they cost money to replace, and then afterwards I think "UGH this power node is still here... Should I bother destroying it?" It simply feels tedious and unnecessary.

I agree that an indication of territory control is a cool idea. My suggestion for that is to just tie the lights to the res tower. When the RT is built, the lights come on indicating marines own that area. That fits with gameplay because the presence of an RT generally is the indicator of that anyway. Maybe the RT is needed to power nearby structures, maybe it isn't, I'm indifferent on that point.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916432:date=Mar 22 2012, 09:57 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Mar 22 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The obvious solution would be to change the condition for the lightning state to whether or not a marine or alien resource tower is present in the area.
    Keeps the atmosphere and gets rid of the tiresome powernode gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1917572:date=Mar 25 2012, 04:23 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 25 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When the RT is built, the lights come on indicating marines own that area. That fits with gameplay because the presence of an RT generally is the indicator of that anyway. Maybe the RT is needed to power nearby structures, maybe it isn't, I'm indifferent on that point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think i see a trend of genius here.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I like the idea of nodes being tougher if there's a comm chair slotted in the tech point, it implies some level of reinforcement on an obvious weak spot.

The other idea I like is the one where power nodes aren't interacted with normally (build, chew on, repair) but instead are dependent on infestation status: if you grow infestation over the power node (or, better, plant a cyst IN the power node) it becomes damaged and then goes offline. This fixes the rate of decay (meaning you can't have 4 skulks take the power off in a few seconds and so marines have a chance to react), and makes infestation of an area more important. It makes a heavily defended area harder to take down. It'd also mean that, in theory, we could start with all of the power nodes already slotted, and the aliens could take down the power (and the lights, oh god, the lights) in areas they have firmly enCroached upon without the marines having built into those areas first.

Please, for the love of god, fix the "three second replacement" power packs to be consistent with welding times, or have them require the comm to deliberately place a replacement. This particular mechanic leads to all kinds of weird bull######.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916578:date=Mar 23 2012, 07:26 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 23 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the power nodes add complexity and tactical possibilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wrong, it restricts them. The additional choice of what to bite down is far outweighed by the limitations it imposes on structure placement variety. It forces rooms to become points-of-interest by virtue of the fact that there's a power node there, not by virtue of it's map geometry, positional importance or anything like that. It's an additional and oppressive rule that we have to follow just for some crappy light effects (which I happen to also dislike and empirical data agrees; light maps are popular maps).
    <!--quoteo(post=1917584:date=Mar 25 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Mar 25 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of nodes being tougher if there's a comm chair slotted in the tech point, it implies some level of reinforcement on an obvious weak spot.

The other idea I like is the one where power nodes aren't interacted with normally (build, chew on, repair) but instead are dependent on infestation status: if you grow infestation over the power node (or, better, plant a cyst IN the power node) it becomes damaged and then goes offline. This fixes the rate of decay (meaning you can't have 4 skulks take the power off in a few seconds and so marines have a chance to react), and makes infestation of an area more important. It makes a heavily defended area harder to take down. It'd also mean that, in theory, we could start with all of the power nodes already slotted, and the aliens could take down the power (and the lights, oh god, the lights) in areas they have firmly enCroached upon without the marines having built into those areas first.

Please, for the love of god, fix the "three second replacement" power packs to be consistent with welding times, or have them require the comm to deliberately place a replacement. This particular mechanic leads to all kinds of weird bull######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this as well, but the RT idea is my #1.

<!--quoteo(post=1917587:date=Mar 25 2012, 04:38 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Mar 25 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wrong, it restricts them. The additional choice of what to bite down is far outweighed by the limitations it imposes on structure placement variety. It forces rooms to become points-of-interest by virtue of the fact that there's a power node there, not by virtue of it's map geometry, positional importance or anything like that. It's an additional and oppressive rule that we have to follow just for some crappy light effects (which I happen to also dislike and empirical data agrees; light maps are popular maps).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very well put. Let the map design and player strats make rooms vital or important, not a gimmick.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    I' ve just thought about how static ns2 is, if you compare it with ns1. CC is locked to one place, same comes when adding power nodes. I miss the good old ns1 days where ninjas was a possibility, times when a hero runs for final attempt, giving the commander oppertunity to drop phase gate and turns the game around. Amazing teamwork with funtastic gameplay. Oooo i really miss ns1 times , to bad barely no one plays it no more :( Ahh im to sensitive, i'll stop drinking vodka now, lol :)

Point is, i believe that the natural selection community doesn't likes changes, probably because their felt inlove with the game just for what is was.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Erm, are you including yourself there?
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The power system defenitly does not add any value to the game in its current state. I think its doing more harm than good. Currently its only needed as a free turretfactory for turrets, aliens can pick out turret farms by taking out the powernode(similar to the turretfactory in ns1).

But it prevents relocations, restricts marine gameplay and buldings placements, creates a ridiculous weakpoint in the marine start that can cause marines to instant lose a game and forces marines to build 2 structures in every single room(rt + power node).

The power system clearly needs some adjustment if its going to stay.

------
    The infestation mechanics are comming along nicely however.
    ------
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I really like the effects of lights going down, nut I also don't like the current implementation from a gameplay viewpoint. As aliens it takes a while to chomp powernodes down and the get rebuild in a matter of a few sec anyway for no cost. Might as well directly tie them to rts.
  • BleizBleiz Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149053Members
    I like the power system as it is and dont think it should be removed.

Aliens need infestation to build, marines need power. I seriously don't see what's the problem; always seemed balanced to me.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918050:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:06 PM:name=Bleiz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bleiz @ Mar 26 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the power system as it is and dont think it should be removed.

Aliens need infestation to build, marines need power. I seriously don't see what's the problem; always seemed balanced to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is destroying one cyst in a hive room doesnt disable everything. The other problem is you never played NS1.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited March 2012
    The topic is about crazy ideas to make power nodes more fun, so what if ...

.. the power nodes were linked only to some specific map elements, like the crushing machine on mineshaft, doors, a fan blocking a vent, etc. ?

.. the power nodes were replaced by light switches ?

.. the power nodes .. hum out of ideas already :)
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918086:date=Mar 26 2012, 10:58 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Mar 26 2012, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The topic is about crazy ideas to make power nodes more fun, so what if ...

.. the power nodes were linked only to some specific map elements, like the crushing machine on mineshaft, doors, a fan blocking a vent, etc. ?

.. the power nodes were replaced by light switches ?

.. the power nodes .. hum out of ideas already :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the power system would work best if it would only be in some areas. Then map makers could make rooms where power is needed(harder to get a pg up etc) and others that don't need any power. I see no reason why there has to be power in every single room in the game.
    -----
    I like the idea of power nodes powering things like fans, doors and other stuff. Also if power nodes would not always effect builds then you could have 1 powernode affect the lighting in a bigger area. If the red lights were dimmer(or removed on some parts) then it would at least have some meaning taking them down. But then we might be creating some inconsistency.These changes however would make it more annoying to deal with turret spam.

Been trying to get some good ideas down to improve the power system but not really found any.
    I like the idea of untying them from power buildings but have them still vital as they stop, as was mentioned, giant fans or locked doors open. This would allow for aliens to access areas where normally marines would want to deny them and keep that node up. Plus if it does get destroyed it isnt game breaking for marines but not a wanted situation.
  • BleizBleiz Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149053Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918051:date=Mar 26 2012, 07:08 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 26 2012, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is destroying one cyst in a hive room doesnt disable everything. The other problem is you never played NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I played ns1 all the time...

EDIT: Also:

-Cysts need to be chained

-1 marine can destroy a cyst in around 10 seconds, whereas it takes around 45 seconds (big guess here) for a lone skulk to destroy a power station. It then takes a marine 10 seconds to bring it back up.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    I think the best way to solve power node drama is by letting it stay in the game, BUT only let it be linked in high value rooms in each map, like dubble resource tower rooms?? Bit no power nodes in start locations rooms (aka hive rooms)
    <!--quoteo(post=1918108:date=Mar 26 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Bleiz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bleiz @ Mar 26 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played ns1 all the time...

EDIT: Also:

-Cysts need to be chained

-1 marine can destroy a cyst in around 10 seconds, whereas it takes around 45 seconds (big guess here) for a lone skulk to destroy a power station. It then takes a marine 10 seconds to bring it back up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Though i disagree with your "marines build anywhere? crazy talk" argument, i do agree something must be done with cysts. Either make the invisible, beef them up, or allow other buildings such as the RT to spread DI as well.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    cysts aren't an issue anymore now that their cost has been changed to requiring Pres?? its not even worth my time to axe them, as it doesn't dampen alien progress what so ever. it merely adds an annoying task to the alien commander: having to click the icon and then click on the map. not that damaging, was it?
    <!--quoteo(post=1918181:date=Mar 26 2012, 06:08 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 26 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->cysts aren't an issue anymore now that their cost has been changed to requiring Pres?? its not even worth my time to axe them, as it doesn't dampen alien progress what so ever. it merely adds an annoying task to the alien commander: having to click the icon and then click on the map. not that damaging, was it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it is though, once low on res it costs 2 res per maybe 8-10 seconds of a marines time. You can do a lot of damage taking out two cysts that link to a RT and then the weakening RT. Once Res becomes an issue from RT harassment every cyst will be vital and once that is denied RTs are denied as well.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    Here is the Imballance -

Infestation gives the following buffs
    **( reduced noise / silence for aliens )
    **( alien sight / see marines around corners)
    **( slows marines by 20% )
    ** ( provides a better gorge slide )

Weaknesses = NONE

Power nodes give marines the follwoing buffs
    **(NONE)***

Weaknesses = Lose game if IPS power is lost /
    lose the ability to spawn / Lose turret power
    lose armory heal/ ammo
    Lose Phase gates
    Lose lose lose
    Lose Beacon

Anyone else see unbalance here ?
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    The ONLY reason power nodes are in the game is because flayra wants the game to have DARKNESS and an "UH OH " moment

thats why there in the game for the scare factor, has nothing to do with balance just something to show off the bells and whistles of his game -
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Good point, except balance != symmetry i.e. it's ok to introduce an imbalanced asymmetric feature if it's fun and balanced by something else. A more serious problem is that it's not really fun or interesting in the current implementation. You forgot regen on infestation for aliens also.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If anything I'd rather them just make power nodes power everything but IP's and command chairs. Having the power go down (much faster than just killing one IP or both) is brutal. It stops all marine spawning and can make it near impossible to stop an alien push as not only do your sentries not work and now you can't beacon but you can't spawn new marines as well. I believe they just introduced "emergency egg spawning" for when a hive is attacked to solve something like this for the alien side.

It is just frustrating having an onos death charge into marine spawn and quickly take down the node and suddenly you are completely crippled as shortly there after here come the skulks and fades to cleanup.