Let's talk about the Onos

2»

Comments

• bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    Limit 3 onos for now? and limit some arcs too! But I will wait for the new features (goo wall, exo suits, new stuff for marines and aliens) to come along to what is going to happen (balance issues).

I played a game today in mineshaft on alien side. I comm'd for them, and the marines basically relocated in ore extraction and was successful. They took everything else except north tunnel and cavern RT's. They should of win, but they took too long that people on my team got to be onos and took down power in ore then destroyed everything. Took down crushing, destroyed everything. Marines were back to operations/drill repair.

With 1-2 onos the game change, marines should of win, but they didn't. Instead aliens won, because of 2 onos took down power nodes and their base at ore extraction and crushing.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1919100:date=Mar 28 2012, 10:33 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Mar 28 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will wait for exo ... before I have a balance discussion.

Really this whole discussion is based on the two following scenarios.

a) Now ...the exo doesn't exist.
    b) Later ...what we IMAGINE the exo is like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is really ignorant, and a bad assumption.
    Jetpacks should be the counter to an onos, due to the mobility of jetpacks. But they are waay too slow.
    Exosuits are supposed to be a counter to fades, they can't chase down the onos.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Its not really that jps are way too slow, its more like there is no proper weapon for jetpackers to use...

I mean what options do we have?
    Shotgun or GL
    - Shotgun doesnt really do that much dmg because of hide and its a shortrange weapon, which is kinda suboptimal for a jetpacker.
    - Gls are slow shooting, even against a big target like a onos hard to hit, and very limited on ammo - so the second there is no comm in the chair you need to get to an armory or shoot with the lmg part - which is like shooting with an airsoftgun.
    Also there might be other aliens like lerks or fades, which are not easy to fight with gls.

I mean sure you could increase mobility of jetpacks to improve the situation against onis, but that might cause balance problems in other situations - fighting jetpackers attacking a hive etc.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Well, if you don't have anywhere to fly UP, you're practicly dead as a jetpacker, the onos will outrun you.
    You should be faster than an onos with a jetpack, at least.

Also, proof that onos is not OP:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw8t6LgkPg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw8t6LgkPg</a>
    Just to be mr. obvious, this is a joke. It was very endgame and we could easily afford large amounts of nano and meds.
    Rifle marine kept the onos at bay while 4 other marines killed the last remaining hive.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    But the Onos is the fastest running of the aliens, so that would make the jetpack faster than all the aliens :P
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    onos + silence = Disturbing

Really need someone to tweak the sound :P

Yeah bit weird moment last night 5 rines with rifle killed me as onos in less than 30 secs :|
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1919607:date=Mar 30 2012, 12:59 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Mar 30 2012, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, if you don't have anywhere to fly UP, you're practicly dead as a jetpacker, the onos will outrun you.
    You should be faster than an onos with a jetpack, at least.

Also, proof that onos is not OP:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw8t6LgkPg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw8t6LgkPg</a>
    Just to be mr. obvious, this is a joke. It was very endgame and we could easily afford large amounts of nano and meds.
    Rifle marine kept the onos at bay while 4 other marines killed the last remaining hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was hilarious to watch! Another goodplace to keep an onos busy is summit reception.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    try in flight control, between the power node and CC, there is that gated area/slit you can jump down into and if you have enough ammo, can kill an Onos.
    watching just me as a rifle marine instill visible panic in a stuck onos was hilarious.