Starting to mod - looking for resources

internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Help!</div>Hi there.

I'm trying to get into doing some LUA modding to play with lerk spores (among other things).
I have lots of programming experience and I do it for my job, so that part isn't hard..what I'm looking for is documentation on the game code.

For instance, I'm trying to make sporeclouds take on the properties of projectiles (to take on player momentum when dropped). I'm reading through a bunch of the different source files (bilebomb, bomb, projectile, projectileclient/server, sporecloud, sporecloudmixin etc), but I'm not quite sure what I'm missing in my stuff yet. What I'd like to know (ideally) is "the bare minimum to make something behave like a projectile cleanly."

<b>Can you guys recommend anything for me to read, or should I just browse through the code and start experimenting?</b>

<b>Also, is there a way for me to change the console output (font size, colour etc)?</b>

(Forgive me if I'm just missing a big button somewhere explaining the introductory stuff)

Comments

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    what exactly are you trying to do with the lerk spores?
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I basically want to copy the bile bomb's mechanic where they take on player momentum, so they fall out of you and then float along your velocity at the time of firing. Then I'll tweak it so they take on more momentum, float more along x/z axes than y and so on..

So far what I'm doing is making sporeCloud inherit Projectile and trying to set it up like bile bomb (then take the 'fire' code where it builds and sets the velocity), but I'm a bit vague on how to do that nicely.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Welcome to modding NS2 internetexplorer. :)

As for instructions on the code, there are none :) It's a case of go in and hack around until you figure it out. You can have a look at all the code that's been written by all the other modders so far, but there is no documentation apart from NS2Docs, which hasn't been updated for a while..
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    In addition to what others said, don't get frustrated. The code is constantly being worked upon and can be messy or disorganized/unclear in some places (duplicated code, unused code, something clumsily added to existing code, etc). There are some very strange things going on sometimes.
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    Yep your best bet is to just go in and read/try stuff!