Low framerate/performance keeps me from playing ns2

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A plea for more frames per second</div>I really like ns2 and how it's shaping up.

Having said that the main thing that keeps me from playing is the low fps/permormance. I wish ns2 could run as smooth, or even 75% as smooth as most common shooters on my pc. As it is now i'm experiecing a lot of sluggish, dragging gameplay because the game doesn't run fluidly enough. It's "ok", but it's like a fraction of what ns2 needs to shine. Fast action, fast crosshair control, blazing graphics.

Unless your pc is top of the line performance feels too low. My pc isn't top of the line but it runs visually more complex looking games twice as fast. I know optimizations keep getting done by the team, but i hope they concente more on improving it now when new customers are coming to the game.

pc: q9650@3GHz, gtx570 rzor, 3gbram, xp sp2

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I hear you, I wonder how much longer before an official-ish statement is made about performance (from an engineer, not a PR-monkey).
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1924211:date=Apr 11 2012, 06:50 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 11 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hear you, I wonder how much longer before an official-ish statement is made about performance (from an engineer, not a PR-monkey).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cory, Max and Schimmel wrote alot about performance. And calling Forum-Admins or NS2HD PR monkeys is just poor.... Think about your post nexttime before you post such things.

Ever tried to talk to someone from UWE directly instead of the forums?
    Dam I never had to wait long for a answer about any question I had if I asked them nicely and direct (Mail, Chat, PM etc).

Some quotes from the last days:

<!--quoteo(post=1923473:date=Apr 9 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Apr 9 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server performance is still a hot topic with us, and will continue to be until it's up to scratch. The internal playtest chat frequently sees long and animated discussions about server performance, with both devs and playtesters engaging the issue. I can't pretend to know exactly what Max has planned for this, but I can certainly say it's a priority.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1923699:date=Apr 10 2012, 05:21 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 10 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are absolutely committed to improving server performance and client fps. By large multiples. It is not anywhere near where we want it to be. We do have some big cards yet to be played, so keep the faith!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1921676:date=Apr 4 2012, 02:08 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Apr 4 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just did a few small optimizations today. So the answer is: next patch.

As Cory said, we are always doing little optimzations. Sometimes a lot of effort can add up to 0.05 milliseconds saved per frame. This is not perceivable by most human beings unfortunately. But with enough 0.05 milliseconds added up, we make progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1921488:date=Apr 3 2012, 05:48 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Apr 3 2012, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've stated many times in many threads that we are definitely not happy with where performance is at currently, and still have a lot that we want to do and are planning on doing, to get the game running faster. There is no understatement of the issue -- it remains one of our biggest areas of focus, it just isn't going to happen overnight.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1924216:date=Apr 11 2012, 06:02 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Apr 11 2012, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And calling Forum-Admins or NS2HD PR monkeys is just poor.... Think about your post nexttime before you post such things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I will post what I please, and things as "we're working on it" coming from people who aren't actually involved in any way in the performance-process, that just reeks like a "###### off" to me.

<!--quoteo(post=1924216:date=Apr 11 2012, 06:02 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Apr 11 2012, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4 quotes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All of those quotes lack substance. For example, will we see 60-100 tickrates for servers on release? Will the target CPU-spec for servers be 3GHz? How much will the bandwidth-usage go down (if at all)? Saying it is a priority is saying didly ######. We're closing in on release, and we have absolutey NO idea what to expect in terms of performance. For all you know we could be stuck with only the high-performance servers on release (HBZ\Inv et cetera) to viably play good games on. If that is the case, at least say it now so people won't be wasting time and money needlessly.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924211:date=Apr 11 2012, 06:50 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 11 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hear you, I wonder how much longer before an official-ish statement is made about performance (from an engineer, not a PR-monkey).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow what a low blow. Take a step back and relax, I'm attributing this to you having a bad day.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924232:date=Apr 11 2012, 07:42 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 11 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're closing in on release, and we have absolutey NO idea what to expect in terms of performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Because the devs don't really either. Since they can't. You'd have to be psychic to be able to accurately tell how much of an effect optimizing some given thing is going to improve the game.

So, "we're working on it" is all they <i>can</i> say, since if they went with anything more specific (unless it was in the form of "we'll delay the release until we hit such and such performance numbers") they'd essentially just be guessing.

It's not that they don't want to make any promises, it's that they physically can't.
    No, you don't have to be psychic, you can make reasonable estimations well in advance, thoroughly test the technology before you go ahead and build a game on it. Do you genuinely think AAA-houses go into the final optimization-stage utterly clueless as to what lies ahead? Or even start a project without knowing how it'll pan out on the target-machine? Come now. I'll give UWE leniency because of the unexplored territory that is Lua-scripting on this scale, but don't go telling it is an absolute blackhole in terms of what to expect.

The idea that performance will only get marginally better from now to release, is a disconcerting one indeed. Which if what you say is true, is a very real possibility. In which case the game will be dead-on-arrival.

Your hissy-fits are amusing NurEinMensch.
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2012
    Max's goal for NS2 is to make it run good on a GeForce 8800GT (Dual core CPU?) . When everyone at UWE had the option of upgrading their computers, Max decided against it in order to achieve this prospect. I have the utmost confidence that they will get to where they need to be by the time of release.

As far as I know, only two people, Max and Dushan are dedicated on engine tasks such as rendering and physics. I noticed that with the inclusion of the new material system, the game slowed down a bit from previous builds. Just wait a couple builds. I'm sure the performance will improve to acceptable standards before they include the next engine crippling addition.

If you are unsatisfied with the shout-outs the devs do on the forums, then I suggest you just watch the developer stalker and track their progress like I do.

<a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">www.play4dead.com/ns2/</a>
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924240:date=Apr 11 2012, 11:09 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Apr 11 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow what a low blow. Take a step back and relax, I'm attributing this to you having a bad day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where do you rank derailing the subject at hand in terms of low blows?
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    if there was a magic performance boost bullet that was easy - it would have been done. i think we need to take uwe at their word that it is going to be a sum of many optimizations that improve things.

- instrument
    - test
    - identify bottleneck & tradeoffs
    - fix
    - repeat.

there may be some work done to bring back a luajit like capability (or at least max implied that something would be done in the runtime). that is all well & good but if algorithms are not efficient Or there are too many api calls that won't buy all that much. I think that is why they are saying lots of little optimizations - algorithms & code structuring improvements to get to the target performance goal.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Performance is not the only problem -- but it is indeed a major one.

Balance is also a persisting issue that needs to be addressed just as much.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Some good information in this thread.
    Also thanks for those quotes Floodinator.
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924300:date=Apr 11 2012, 01:59 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Apr 11 2012, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Performance is not the only problem -- but it is indeed a major one.

Balance is also a persisting issue that needs to be addressed just as much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Balance will also change when performance is changed. Balance will change when the plethora of features left to implement are added. It just needs to be roughly balanced right now.

My only gripe with performance is DEAR GOD don't pull a Red Orchestra 2. They killed their massive hype and massive influx of players by releasing a terribly optimized game.

I might be asking for a miracle, but an ideal goal should be running minimal graphics at higher fps 40+ on your average low end machine. Scalability>Bells and whistles. Loved Blizzard's SC2 approach to that. I can run 4v4's on my 600 dollar 2.7 duo lappy.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    So when the developers devote time and energy to keeping their fanbase up to date about the latest development progress and making sure they're aware of the thoughts behind key design cornerstones, they're being "PR-Monkeys". Would you prefer it if they didn't bother to communicate because their fanbase had scared them away by constantly dismissing their efforts to communicate and criticizing their every move?

I haven't seen anyone raging as hard as player since Gorge-rushing was nerfed.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    player, while I appreciate your enthusiasm for NS2 and what it can be, your behaviour is coming across in a not-so-good light. I'd appreciate it if you could keep your attitude civil, or you wont be able to post 'what you please' for much longer. Thanks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Threads like these, while often enough have well intentions from the OP, end up as nothing but a soap box for those regulars who only have negative things to say. Its like moths to the flame.

I love the level of knowledge player assumes Play Testers and Hugh have.. especially when he gets those "we're working on it" responses from <b>developers</b>, anyways.
    If even a dev had a specific estimation for you, player,<i> do you think they would tell someone who responds as you do? </i>I know i wouldn't. Potential for failing to meet promises or your standards sounds like just more ammo for you / reason to respond on forums.

Yes you can write what you please, but there are forum rules and consequences as such.
    "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all!"

Floodinator's quotes in this thread answers the OP.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924232:date=Apr 11 2012, 08:42 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 11 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will post what I please, and things as "we're working on it" coming from people who aren't actually involved in any way in the performance-process, that just reeks like a "###### off" to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

madcuzbad
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Closed before this gets out of hand.
This discussion has been closed.