A push in the right direction

DiscoDisco Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104584Members
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">New player: How do I play this?</div>This might have already been discussed, and if it has, please forgive me.

I know that it does not take much to learn how to play Natural Selection 2, but shouldn't there be some sort of guide other than the wiki? I mean something ingame. It doesn't have to be advanced or highly detailed. It just needs to push the new guys in the right direction.

I have to be honest, when I started playing at first, I had no idea what my goal was. I thought that all I needed to do was run around and shoot stuff (sometimes that is the goal). I asked a friend and he said, "read the wiki." Easy enough right? Well some people including myself just want to learn the objective and get a few tips here and there. I know what some people are thinking. "Stop being lazy and read the wiki." I can understand that but the fact is when someone buys a game, they want to play it right away. They arent going to want to read something. It may sound ridiculous but its the truth. If they were to learn something, I believe it would be best ingame.

Here is the good news. I think I have found a solution. Have you ever seen a game where you pick something up and a small little sentence or two pops up in the corner of the screen just giving you a quick tip? Yeah, I think thats a good idea. Any way, does anyone else have an opinion?

Once again, if this has already been talked about or has been settled, I am sorry, have mercy on my soul.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    The game itself is still very much a work in progress with weekly patches and a summer 2012 release. I agree there should be something in game other then just tool tips for a game this complex. But currently it's not a priority.

For now, luckily there are a lot of video's on YouTube (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showforum=99" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showforum=99</a> has some streamers and youtubers) and competitive matches being livestreamed on the <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/NaturalSelection2" target="_blank">official NS2 stream</a>. You can learn a lot from those as well as playing the game and asking people how to play.
  • PowerfuryOAPowerfuryOA Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148314Members
    The fantastic thing about NS1 and NS2 is the community.

If you feel like you don't know something and or need advice, feel free to ask! There are many players on a server that will always go out of their way to help someone know more about the game. It helps if you have a microphone.

I agree that a tip bar would be useful for new players, and obviously there should be a way to turn it off for experienced players.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927478:date=Apr 20 2012, 01:34 PM:name=Disco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disco @ Apr 20 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This might have already been discussed, and if it has, please forgive me.

I know that it does not take much to learn how to play Natural Selection 2, but shouldn't there be some sort of guide other than the wiki? I mean something ingame. It doesn't have to be advanced or highly detailed. It just needs to push the new guys in the right direction.

I have to be honest, when I started playing at first, I had no idea what my goal was. I thought that all I needed to do was run around and shoot stuff (sometimes that is the goal). I asked a friend and he said, "read the wiki." Easy enough right? Well some people including myself just want to learn the objective and get a few tips here and there. I know what some people are thinking. "Stop being lazy and read the wiki." I can understand that but the fact is when someone buys a game, they want to play it right away. They arent going to want to read something. It may sound ridiculous but its the truth. If they were to learn something, I believe it would be best ingame.

Here is the good news. I think I have found a solution. Have you ever seen a game where you pick something up and a small little sentence or two pops up in the corner of the screen just giving you a quick tip? Yeah, I think thats a good idea. Any way, does anyone else have an opinion?

Once again, if this has already been talked about or has been settled, I am sorry, have mercy on my soul.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey Man, Best thing i can suggest is to wait untill |NS| have some good games, playing in a clan will definitely help you out and you can ask in game on any server and im sure most people will be more than willing to help :D
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    edited April 2012
    In terms of strategy (for non-commanders) I just think of this as first-person Starcraft. I've spent a sum total of maybe 20 minutes actually reading how to play NS2, but just playing it with Starcraft in mind I feel like I have a good grasp of what to do. Admittedly this requires that you know Starcraft, but if you don't you really should.
  • DiscoDisco Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104584Members
    All excellent ideas and suggestions. Hopefully later on when the game just needs some extra details here and there
    they will put a little tip or two in there. Thanks!

By the way, I'm not that new! I know how to play.
    I just wanted other people to have an easier time learning about the game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1927672:date=Apr 20 2012, 01:09 PM:name=Disco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Disco @ Apr 20 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All excellent ideas and suggestions. Hopefully later on when the game just needs some extra details here and there
    they will put a little tip or two in there. Thanks!

By the way, I'm not that new! I know how to play.
    I just wanted other people to have an easier time learning about the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah man, I was looking at your join date and was all like WTF IS THIS :D