I feel bad shooting gorges

tocztocz Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145070Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I feel horrible every time i kill a gorge. They look like my dog and i feel like i am killing a helpless animal. It's like i am hunting kapibara's =(

Give them horns or something.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Which is why I pull my axe when a Gorge is in my sights... sometimes regardless of the frenzied Skulks in the midst :P
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited May 2012
    kill or be killed

repeat that in your head over and over during killing sequence to overcome the grief
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited May 2012
    When I get jetpacks I make it a goal of mine to fly over and through gorge forts and shotgun a gorge to death. Only to run back to base for more armor and ammo to do it again.

Why do I do this? Because gorges annoy me. Do I ever play gorge? All of the time.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    hm I hate how whenever I play gorge, people will leave battles to chase me down a corridor. Easy kill I guess, especially as the healspray is nerfed.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    Yea, there's little 'combat' in the gorge's current 'combat engineer' role. I do hope they come up with a way to address this, it would be a lot more fun if gorges could at least stand their ground vs lone marines better. Their spit should be like a shotgun, you come close to taunt that little cute gorgey and then BOOM big spit ball in your face.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1934364:date=May 8 2012, 09:02 AM:name=tocz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tocz @ May 8 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel horrible every time i kill a gorge. They look like my dog and i feel like i am killing a helpless animal. It's like i am hunting kapibara's =(

Give them horns or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Noticed the civilians in the concept art? Noticed the lack of civilians on the actual maps? The Gorges ate them. Alive. While chuckling.

Don't feel bad...
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Killing for sport is cruel. As long as you eat the gorge you kill then it's fair.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>tocz:</b></u>

If it makes you feel any better those poor, helpless alien harvesters can be turned into children's sleeping bags with a little work
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934381:date=May 8 2012, 11:56 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 8 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea, there's little 'combat' in the gorge's current 'combat engineer' role. I do hope they come up with a way to address this, it would be a lot more fun if gorges could at least stand their ground vs lone marines better. Their spit should be like a shotgun, you come close to taunt that little cute gorgey and then BOOM big spit ball in your face.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No spit buff please, just fix up spit so its more reliable/works better. And then learn how to predict movement with the projectile.
    Gorge is not supposed to take on a marine 1v1.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Someone should make a Gorge hunting mod and put devour on Gorges and give them bear noises
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934389:date=May 8 2012, 12:19 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ May 8 2012, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Killing for sport is cruel. As long as you eat the gorge you kill then it's fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's war and natural selection man, the fatty goes against all evolutionary... Ehm... Yeah... Actually never mind we also have the sloth on our own planet for some odd reason...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge is not supposed to take on a marine 1v1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why not? I pay 10 p.res for the thing. At the very least he needs to be made tankier so he doesn't just die in 1 lmg clip. You're never going to move away from the gorge being too reliant on hydras if you don't buff his combat performance somewhat. (He doesn't need to roll a marine 1vs1, but he needs to at least be able to stand up to one better) What's the point of having a combat engineer class if you don't actually want the gorge to see combat. (Because he dies to a sneeze and doesn't deal reliable DPS)

The goal should be to make the gorge a fun class to play, throughout the game, not have him as only a transitional class while you save for p.res for onos or fade. (This means augmentation too needs to give him better abilities, allowing him to scale better)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    Gorge is a healer, support and area denial unit, not a combat class. when you are caught of guard by a marine, let alone 2. you're forced to run or request help from your team and then go in and support them with healing and spit. Fact is, you're not supposed to go stray too far from relative safety...

Also the Gorge is quite important at end game if you are not going for a class rush, it is a lifesaver combined with an Onos or a bunch of Fades. The gorge does not magically become obsolete during end game, it's just one of the many end game choices you can make.
  • ZootZoot Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78469Members
    What if gorge belly slide left a slim trail that significantly slowed marines? Would make marines think twice about chasing down those poor overweight gorges :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    nobody likes having their movement slowed.
    I recommended that idea yesterday zoot but instead with acid on the ground, leaving the choice for the marine to get hurt if he wanted to pursue /chase him.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Would be funnier with a fart cloud, but nice ideas there :P
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934364:date=May 8 2012, 01:02 AM:name=tocz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tocz @ May 8 2012, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel horrible every time i kill a gorge. They look like my dog and i feel like i am killing a helpless animal. It's like i am hunting kapibara's =(

Me too. I say this all the time and people in-game agree! I feel so bad killing gorges.. they're too cute :(
  • DocanDocan Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63284Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1934506:date=May 8 2012, 01:28 PM:name=Zoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zoot @ May 8 2012, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if gorge belly slide left a slim trail that significantly slowed marines? Would make marines think twice about chasing down those poor overweight gorges :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would be better if the trail did not slow marines, but instead allowed other gorges to belly slide on it for 2x speed increase.

Gorges Drifting!
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934364:date=May 8 2012, 10:02 AM:name=tocz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tocz @ May 8 2012, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel horrible every time i kill a gorge. They look like my dog and i feel like i am killing a helpless animal. It's like i am hunting kapibara's =(

Your dog looks like a gorge? Pictures please!
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Best thread in a long time.

Last night someone climbed up into the rafters on Tram in the marine base, went gorge, and was spitting constantly down on their heads. People were flipping out, yelling about "sploitz." Good times!
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934552:date=May 8 2012, 02:03 PM:name=Gravity Grave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gravity Grave @ May 8 2012, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Best thread in a long time.

Last night someone climbed up into the rafters on Tram in the marine base, went gorge, and was spitting constantly down on their heads. People were flipping out, yelling about "sploitz." Good times!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

going to go do that right now
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934536:date=May 8 2012, 09:00 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ May 8 2012, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your dog looks like a gorge? Pictures please!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea, what dog looks like a gorge?!
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I too feel unbelievably guilty emptying a full clip into a helpless fatty gorge, as it scampers away.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You guys are crazy. I focus solely on them like they were an ewok running for it's furry life.
    relevant:
    <a href="http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg" target="_blank">http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg</a>
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1934428:date=May 9 2012, 12:42 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ May 9 2012, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge is not supposed to take on a marine 1v1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. a0 w0 marine 1 v 1 with gorge shouldn't be as one sided as it is atm even without medpack. I'm not saying gorge should be able to 1 v 1 marines with ease but with the way the gorge is at the moment its a total massacre even against marines who can't aim because of the healspray rof. You can't even really run away unless you're already hiding behind hydras or some other blockage. Sure if you get caught offguard you shouldn't have a chance, but the problem is that since you know you have a 0% chance against even one marine, the only time you ever do face a marine is if they catch you offguard or they're stupid enough to walk into your hydras. Evolve gorge, spam healspray to expand, place your hydra, then sit around doing nothing for minutes while you wait for clogs to unlock. Then you build your house and then what? I want to contribute to the team, not sit way back to avoid being grenaded and hold down right click while i read a book at the same time.

Was playing gorge alot this evening and it feels incredibly incomplete, undefined and gimp as a class now =/. Its fine to have a newbie class, but i'm not sure its good for a healthy and exciting competitive game to have one class be incredibly niche and useless for most of the time.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    if you don't want spit to slow down marines, make it speed up the gorge instead
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I was also feeling bad when killing a gorge usually, but since they have free hydra it's not the same... I mean they are turret factories, so it's fine to kill them, right?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I couldn't see a problem to kill a gorge before the nerves. Sure, it was challenging. The gorge had a chance in 1vs1 against a marine. But now it is simply an instant lose, if you meet a marine without hydras in reach of a few seconds.

The healspray nerv is ok, because it was to imba with higher liveforms, but he should definitely get a boost in health/armor to be able to stand one single marine if you got skill.

I don't see a necessity in having a class, that costs 10pres and isn't able to fight anything. (Not even buildings.)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    It would be cool if the gorge could tackle a marine.
    Like belly slide into their legs or something.

That way other aliens could finish the deed.

I have no problem shooting gorges BTW.
    But I do want to see what kind of dog looks like a gorge.
    Linky please.