Hey, so like, ya!

YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
Just played some 209 for the first time, I think the last time I played was 205.. I think.. and, well, anyways -What on earth happened to the game in the short time it took me to upgrade my rig? (which by the way turned out bloody amazing)

I'm so baffled right now I can't even talk, I'm just so perplexed at the direction this game is heading in, I don't understand why base units are being intensely redesigned. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Oh and smexy comp pix here, anyone care to guess what's inside?

<a href="http://imgur.com/a/ZVCHH" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/ZVCHH</a>

Comments

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey hey welcome back!
    So from reading your post, is it you don't like the way the game is heading? o_O
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941964:date=Jun 6 2012, 10:52 PM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ Jun 6 2012, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just played some 209 for the first time, I think the last time I played was 205.. I think.. and, well, anyways -What on earth happened to the game in the short time it took me to upgrade my rig? (which by the way turned out bloody amazing)

I'm so baffled right now I can't even talk, I'm just so perplexed at the direction this game is heading in, I don't understand why base units are being intensely redesigned. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Oh and smexy comp pix here, anyone care to guess what's inside?

<a href="http://imgur.com/a/ZVCHH" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/ZVCHH</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skulks - Wall-Jumping was too exploitable, so they ruined it - They are changing it again.
    Lerk - Bilebomb was removed and given bite (as 'many' people asked for like in NS1) - Unfortunately they decided to give it more armor, despite bite range being less dangerous than effective spike range (OH MY GODS, MELEE IS DANGERUUS).
    Fade - Unfortunately, because no Commander wants to research Blink you're now stuck as a Shadowstepping idiot the whole game - Not worth using in 209.
    Gorge - Was given free-building with a 3 Hydra/5 Mini-Cyst per Hive Limit.

-Changed so buildings disappeared on death.
    -10 Clogs per hive added.
    -Limit lowered to 3 Hydras/5 Mini-Cyst/10 Clogs permanently.
    -Mini-Cyst considered too complex for the partially retarded target audience - Removed.
    -Hydra's Change to allows placement off-creep.

I mean there were a lot of complaints about the system, but I think the developers wanted to stick to the retarded path they were on - Gorge also got Bilebomb as it had it originally.

Onos :
    Slowed down, given charge to compensate.
    Too slow, sped back up to it's old speed (still with charge).
    Bugged stomp so that it rarely misses you despite jumping.

I mean on their own some of the change are fine, but the overall outcome is a worse game.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I love the gorge currently. I can rush forward with the skulks in the beginning, setup cogs and hydras outside the marine base and basically deny them half the map for the beginning of the game.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Oh Jayaris forgot something: The forum rules have changed. It is now unofficial consensus, that you should comment every change (that happened to the game and is wrong in your opinion) with as much sarcasm and insults as you could. You have to internalize that the devs only make a game for you and yourself and every mistake they make has to be commented immediately (in the best case even before you played the new build) with said sarcasm. Understand that your opinion is the only valid and the devs only make changes without thinking about them and the playtesters do not playtest anything. Bonus-points when you can manage to write a long post without getting the slightest bit of constructive and only complain.
    Capslock and much rage are a requirement if you are under 15 and you can unlock a hidden sub-forum if you are forgetting that this is a beta and express subtle that you expect a perfect game with every build made available. Have fun. ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1941989:date=Jun 7 2012, 04:02 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 7 2012, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh Jayaris forgot something: The forum rules have changed. It is now unofficial consensus, that you should comment every change (that happened to the game and is wrong in your opinion) with as much sarcasm and insults as you could. You have to internalize that the devs only make a game for you and yourself. That your opinion is the only valid and the devs only make changes without thinking about them and the playtesters do not playtest anything. Bonus-points when you can manage to write a long post without getting the slightest bit of constructive and only complain.
    Capslock and much rage are a requirement if you are under 15. You can unlock a hidden sub-forum if you are forgetting that this is a beta. Have fun. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure if you're trying to be an ironic White Knight or just trying to be funny.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=thatotherguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thatotherguy)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love the gorge currently. I can rush forward with the skulks in the beginning, setup cogs and hydras outside the marine base and basically deny them half the map for the beginning of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depending on positions, I can't see this scenario working unless - Marines are bad.

Personally I think the more likely scenario is, two or more marines here you healing your Hydras up they come round the corner and pop you.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm what you like. This isn't important. Just stating the sad obvious truth.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941993:date=Jun 7 2012, 04:16 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 7 2012, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm what you like. This isn't important. Just stating the sad obvious truth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The sad obvious truth? The only sad obvious truth I see is that you're a white knight, who's not intelligent enough to consider both viewpoints. So you take a black and white, idealistic anti-whiner view. You think that people have no right to complain because it's a beta, you'd be wrong this is exactly when people should complain - Just like every other beta in the world.

But, you go ahead and defend bad design choices for the sake of feeling good about yourself, at the end of the day your knee-jerk defence of developers adds nothing to this game.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a big difference between flaming and insulting everyone to make a point, and calmly stating that you disagree. I'm sure everyone welcomes feedback good and bad, but it can be done in a constructive way.
    edited June 2012
    Sadly you didn't understand me. If anything, I have stated that the tone you and others are posting in, is not helpful and beside this there are other more helpful threads for the devs I have posted constructive things to, in contrast to you. But I haven't expected that you would understand this. ;)

So be happy and forget what I wrote. Your personnel white knight. :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1941998:date=Jun 7 2012, 04:32 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 7 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly you didn't understand me. If anything, I have stated that the tone you and others are posting in, is not helpful and beside this there are other more helpful threads for the devs I have posted constructive things to, in contrast to you. But I haven't expected that you would understand this. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would of hoped you had posted more useful things than I given that you've had a year plus to do so..

I don't think I've misread anything, you seem to support what I've said with your 'tone' comment.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a big difference between flaming and insulting everyone to make a point, and calmly stating that you disagree. I'm sure everyone welcomes feedback good and bad, but it can be done in a constructive way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The appearance of calmness in text is obviously going to differ from individual to individual, obviously most arguments can be made without insulting people. The guy asked a question and I answered it - Then Necro comes in completely off-topic as if he's contributing to the forum.

Unfortunately, for all his good intentions he posted off-topic and de-railed the thread for no reason other than to further his own opinion that people have a bad 'tone'.
    Now I feel sad about derailing this useful thread. :(

;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1942001:date=Jun 7 2012, 04:42 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 7 2012, 04:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now I feel sad about derailing this useful thread. :(

;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As expected, you're no better than the people you complain about.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941964:date=Jun 7 2012, 05:52 AM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ Jun 7 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just played some 209 for the first time, I think the last time I played was 205.. I think.. and, well, anyways -What on earth happened to the game in the short time it took me to upgrade my rig? (which by the way turned out bloody amazing)

I'm so baffled right now I can't even talk, I'm just so perplexed at the direction this game is heading in, I don't understand why base units are being intensely redesigned. Anyone able to shed some light on this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some of the changes might be bacause of the way evolutions work now, fade blink, gorge bile bomb, Onos stomp, lerk spikes and skulk leap are all researched individually. Unforthunately if the com doesn't tell you it is hard to know what is there and what isn't until you evolve, but the feature is new so that will come.

Apart from that lerk and shotgun are being rebalanced next patch.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    edited June 2012
    I really like how the game is shaping up. Balance seems to be absolutely wonkers right now, but when I play, whether I play marines or Aliens I have a very fun time.
    Fades seem less useful than they should be right now, and gorges are actually really cool for once-- The marine shotgun, like the fade, is sort of out of style, but jetpacks are wiggety whack off the chain!

Lerk bite owns EVERYTHING. It's horrible! But I still have fun playing.
  • -Azona--Azona- Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150074Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942020:date=Jun 7 2012, 05:50 AM:name=sumguy720)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sumguy720 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really like how the game is shaping up. Balance seems to be absolutely wonkers right now, but when I play, whether I play marines or Aliens I have a very fun time.
    Fades seem less useful than they should be right now, and gorges are actually really cool for once-- The marine shotgun, like the fade, is sort of out of style, but jetpacks are wiggety whack off the chain!

Lerk bite owns EVERYTHING. It's horrible! But I still have fun playing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lerk bite is so OP that I fear lerk most of any alien lifeform in the game at the moment, even laugh at onos but run like hell if I see lerk.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942020:date=Jun 7 2012, 09:50 AM:name=sumguy720)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sumguy720 @ Jun 7 2012, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really like how the game is shaping up. <b>Balance </b>seems to be absolutely <b>wonkers </b>right now, but when I play, whether I play marines or Aliens I have a very fun time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yea, in a period of balance wackiness - some of the tuning is overshooting. 210 will improve the 209 issues & will probably have some of its own with the forthcoming energy experiment.
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    Lot's of changes, wow. Lol @ the derailing of threads it's bound to happen, right? Well thanks for the update folks, I've got to keep on playing to get into the swing of things of course, looks like it's just going to be another learning curve I guess!

Oh and the new rig consists of;

GeForce GTX 670, Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB RAM, ASUS p8z68-m Pro mobo, Noctua NH-D14 (heatsink), i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SSD, HX750W PSU, and the case is a Coolermaster Storm Trooper (full).
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942049:date=Jun 7 2012, 10:43 AM:name=Ybarra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ybarra @ Jun 7 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lot's of changes, wow. Lol @ the derailing of threads it's bound to happen, right? Well thanks for the update folks, I've got to keep on playing to get into the swing of things of course, looks like it's just going to be another learning curve I guess!

Oh and the new rig consists of;

GeForce GTX 670, Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB RAM, ASUS p8z68-m Pro mobo, Noctua NH-D14 (heatsink), i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SSD, HX750W PSU, and the case is a Coolermaster Storm Trooper (full).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well ######.

Don't see your CPU clock speed in there, though. =P
  • Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The current implementation of Lerk bite is broken and has been fixed within the internal build, the bite should be fixed for the next patch. The Lerk bite was referencing the kbite value for the skulk rather than KLerkBite.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941990:date=Jun 7 2012, 06:10 AM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ Jun 7 2012, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depending on positions, I can't see this scenario working unless - Marines are bad.

Personally I think the more likely scenario is, two or more marines here you healing your Hydras up they come round the corner and pop you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hah yeah it won't always work, but given skulks are coming constantly to keep pressure, you can hold off 2-3 marines unless they bravely charge and jump over the cogs together to kill you. Most marines aren't that coordinated.
  • CabooseFoxCabooseFox Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151970Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942060:date=Jun 7 2012, 12:37 PM:name=Sr Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sr Lance @ Jun 7 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current implementation of Lerk bite is broken and has been fixed within the internal build, the bite should be fixed for the next patch. The Lerk bite was referencing the kbite value for the skulk rather than KLerkBite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Always sucks when small errors in code make massive game play changes. I'm glad its fixed though as these things are bound to happen. Has the poison changed or is it still the same in the play test? I was really looking forward to flying in biting and flying out with a gas trail in my wake >:)
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942117:date=Jun 7 2012, 05:52 PM:name=CabooseFox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CabooseFox @ Jun 7 2012, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Always sucks when small errors in code make massive game play changes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If only there was some way to test simple, self-contained <i>units </i>of code...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941975:date=Jun 7 2012, 01:57 AM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ Jun 7 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk - Bilebomb was removed and given bite (as 'many' people asked for like in NS1) - Unfortunately they decided to give it more armor, despite bite range being less dangerous than effective spike range (OH MY GODS, MELEE IS DANGERUUS).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You weren't there, man! You weren't there! %#^& got crazy man, we did what we had to do!
    :)
    No, but really... do you know how funny/useless the lerk is when combined with old hp/armor values and bite? You can test it yourself by changing the lua. 125 hp, 30 armor. I highly recommend you try this for a round or two with some friends to see for yourself. (multiple marines in a room)

The lerk is defined as the Harasser class, so expect his weapons to not be as deadly as his ability to survive, and re apply his harassing. (well, thats how it <b>should </b>work, anyways.)

Also, see the thread that was locked that was started by raneman for my explanation on why minicysts were removed. Had nothing to do with intelligence of the playerbase.
    Oh and placement of hydras off of infestation comes at a high price of not automatically growing, as well as very slow growth even when healsprayed - just thought i'd clarify.
    Annddd also Onos stomp is planned on being changed/countered.
    Annddd if fade isnt researched thats because of a commander, just like .. well.. anything in the game, <i>on either side. </i>(from medpacks, to armor, to weapons, to hives etc)

"The guy asked a question and I answered it - Then Necro comes in completely off-topic as if he's contributing to the forum."
    You forgot the part about <u>how </u>you answered it. That is what people were responding to, my friend. :)
    @necro: <3
    <!--quoteo(post=1942129:date=Jun 7 2012, 03:54 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 7 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You weren't there, man! You weren't there! %#^& got crazy man, we did what we had to do!
    :)
    No, but really... do you know how funny/useless the lerk is when combined with old hp/armor values and bite? You can test it yourself by changing the lua. 125 hp, 30 armor. I highly recommend you try this for a round or two with some friends to see for yourself. (multiple marines in a room)

<b> Scratch the 30 Armor, because Carapace is a given.

People try to play Lerks like flying Skulks, that's why they have a hard time. </b>

The lerk is defined as the Harasser class, so expect his weapons to not be as deadly as his ability to survive, and re apply his harassing. (well, thats how it <b>should </b>work, anyways.)

<b>I'll wait till 210 Lerk changes - Obviously atm Bite does too much direct damage for Lerk to be a harasser class. </b>

Also, see the thread that was locked that was started by raneman for my explanation on why minicysts were removed. Had nothing to do with intelligence of the playerbase.
    <b>My comments were based off of the patch note justification, obviously there are valid reasons for removing mini-cysts.</b>

Oh and placement of hydras off of infestation comes at a high price of not automatically growing, as well as very slow growth even when healsprayed - just thought i'd clarify.
    <b>The price isn't that high, one minute to heal them up - If any Marines are happening by you can run away. </b>

Annddd also Onos stomp is planned on being changed/countered.
    Annddd if fade isnt researched thats because of a commander, just like .. well.. anything in the game, <i>on either side. </i>(from medpacks, to armor, to weapons, to hives etc)

<b> It's not because of a Commander, you cannot justify 20TRes for Blink on one of the least used lifeforms.

These are being adjusted I believe, so I'll wait and see. </b>

"The guy asked a question and I answered it - Then Necro comes in completely off-topic as if he's contributing to the forum."
    You forgot the part about <u>how </u>you answered it. :)
    @necro: <3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Truthfully?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Fade is one of the least used lifeforms?.... what game are you playing? lol
    Cara, despite me always begging for it and using it, is not a given as its up to the commander.

Also, "truthfully" doesn't require caps or offensive labels like "retarded".
    <!--quoteo(post=1942135:date=Jun 7 2012, 04:13 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 7 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is one of the least used lifeforms?.... what game are you playing? lol
    Cara, despite me always begging for it and using it, is not a given as its up to the commander.

Also, "truthfully" doesn't require caps or offensive labels like "retarded".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Build 209, today I saw :

1 Fade
    16 Gorges
    30 Lerks
    20 Onos

And in none of those games was Blink researched.
  • CabooseFoxCabooseFox Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151970Members
    edited June 2012
    I played a game yesterday where we had only one fade and our comm said "Oh we have a fade let me get blink for ya man" And every thing was good. Most comms I see either research it when asked or do it as soon as the first fade comes. Also the thing I see researched the least is lerk spikes, even comms laughing and making jokes with their players when asked for it
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Imagine having an alien player dependent on his commander to maximise his potential. Crazy, I know!
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    Kinda funny how it is (almost) the complete opposite of NS1 now. Marines can buy weapons by themselves but aliens now require the comm to get their weapons/abilitys
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1942138:date=Jun 7 2012, 07:30 PM:name=CabooseFox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CabooseFox @ Jun 7 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played a game yesterday where we had only one fade and our comm said "Oh we have a fade let me get blink for ya man" And every thing was good. Most comms I see either research it when asked or do it as soon as the first fade comes. Also the thing I see researched the least is lerk spikes, even comms laughing and making jokes with their players when asked for it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they didn't then there's something wrong with that comm. :P

Umbra will change that along with (hopefully) improved spikes.