UWE appreciation thread

Forever_rustyForever_rusty Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151314Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Welcome to the most positive thread on the forum!</div>In this thread we tell UWE how awesome we think they are and why.

- They showed the world that you don't need a big team with big funding to make a very complex multiplayer game with up to par graphics

They made the fade! which is the most awesome thing I've played in any fps

NS2 is the only rts/fps hybrid with competitve potential

They stay in touch with the community in a way that no other companies does

I'm making this thread because i feel like the community is often acting like a parent with over expectations towards its prodigy child and it forgets to tell him how awesome he is sometime.

Comments

• DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    Unfinished product is unfinished, but I do agree. There's a reason I stick around these forums rather than post elsewhere.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1942539:date=Jun 10 2012, 05:18 AM:name=Forever_rusty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Forever_rusty @ Jun 10 2012, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In this thread we tell UWE how awesome we think they are and why.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    --They have not one, but TWO Brian's

--They have that really talented, smart, and handsome Art Director, Cory Strader

Um...those are the only things I can think of at the moment, but even just those things guarantee pure awesomeness.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I think their best attribute is their modesty.

--Scythe--
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Amazing how such a small team can stay so in touch with the community and listen to what they are asking for or suggesting.
    They are making the game for us not for corporate shareholders like some other huge companies(cough snowstormname cough)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cory's concept art and art direction is great. The alien territory is very vivid and I'm sure will definitely shine once transparency comes in.

Max is awesome for creating the next top engine and continuously thinking about performance.

But I think Brian is just a tad more amazing than Brian.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    They have a light in the office for the toilet being in use.

Seriously I want one of those for my office.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942541:date=Jun 10 2012, 12:33 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 10 2012, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--They have that really talented, smart, and handsome Art Director, Cory Strader<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You mean the Janitor?

j/k :D Great work so far UWE, keep it up!
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942542:date=Jun 10 2012, 02:45 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 10 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think their best attribute is their modesty.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha that corresponds really well to the comment right above yours.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942541:date=Jun 10 2012, 07:33 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 10 2012, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--They have not one, but TWO Brian's<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I read "brains" the first two times.
  • meb3meb3 Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106078Members
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    they have an onos figurine in the office

they have a gorge pinata

they have Brian beards
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
  • slayerkl2slayerkl2 RUFCKINGKETAMINE?????? Join Date: 2004-10-17 Member: 32324Members
    haterz gon hate, ns2 davs gonna dev
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    I'll move it to squad five.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2012
    I admire Charlie for fulfilling one of his dreams. He is not doing this not for the money, but because he wants to create an awesome game.

edit: the game industry needs more people like UWE!
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Brian's beard. Thank you.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Already got what I would consider hundreds of dollars worth of games from this one title... and it's only in beta. <3 UWE
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I loved playing NS1, I love playing NS2 even in beta, a few things might be broken from one build to another, but I still enjoy this game in it's current state far more than any other games. This is a solid idea, a solid product, keep up the good work.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Played NS2 more than most games, and following the development is really interesting, I learned a lot of things.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited June 2012
    The game is great and too addicting. Minus 2 points out of 10 for being too addicting.

It's very innovative, fresh, and a great multiplayer. I think it will sell big if it hasn't already.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE is the best because their office bathroom is a time machine. Just ask Hugh!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks for the <3 guys!
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Don't listen to the haters, NS2 is awesome!
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Just like to show some appreciation, as last time i played ns2 i was barely getting 30 fps.

had some time last night to play a game and 100fps, never looked back at the frame counter. Good job a little stuttery still though, but huge improvement. Actually enjoyed myself trying to bite marines as a lerk hehe.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am very excited about the new map, "Docking." I felt like this was the appropriate thread to share my feelings in. I'm glad to see some diversity coming to NS2 levels. The clean style of Docking looks really cool. $10 says Docking will be the "de_dust2" of the NS2 world for some time to come (that's intended as a compliment, btw).

You all are doing a great job. Keep it up!

Cheers,
    Cody
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited June 2012
    Agreed. Docking looks pretty sick.

I do hope to see more "damp" and dark levels introduced later on as well. Low light levels with colored and flickering lights, entire sections of level demolished, etc. Would

make for some interesting visuals and maybe change up the feel of marine play a bit.

But Docking is just jaw dropping, if it's any indication from the trailer. That 30$ purchase I got way back for christmas went from uncertain hope to a purchase I would

gladly make again if I had to. I can only imagine how much better it will be once exos and other late game features are in :D
  • demmdemm Join Date: 2003-09-10 Member: 20714Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Diamond
    I really love how UWE keeps the community involved in the development of the game. Even though I don't have much time to play the beta, I still follow every single of your posts and videos and I kind of feel it's like watching a sitcom. There are all these characters in the office that I feel I know and it's fun watching you guys and the game progress over time. The developer questionnaires especially convey that feeling. (The one with the two Brians was funny as hell) No other game company (not even Valve) has managed to get me to feel so connected to them. I know the names of most people in your office and have some kind of idea of what they do in the company. For the other gaming companies I consider my self to be a fan of, I can name maybe one or two people who work there and have no idea what they do.

So, keep doing what you're doing, it's awesome! Even if I won't have time to play the game when it's finished, I still feel I got my money's worth by just being able to follow your journey.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    there is a lot of UWE appreciation from me :)

I can say with complete honesty, that for the past 10 years, i have considerd ns1 to be the best game i have ever played! I'm excited that ns2 is now so close to coming out, i have been waiting a very very long time, i havent had to upgrade my rig since ns1, but i have happily bought a new rig, JUST TO PLAY YOUR GAME!!

No other game could have tempted me to upgrade my hardware - why bother, i could allready play ns1!

Thank you to all the UWE team that are making this game possible, NS2 is shaping up to be everything i could have hoped for, and more :)
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you guys see so many ideas, suggestions, and hard critiques, it's because people genuinely really just care for this game.

Haven't lost faith, keep up the good work.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Awesome dev team. Awesome game.

Just the best :D