disable the minimap while commanding

rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
<div class="IPBDescription">a simple suggestion</div>So on the rare occasion I hop into the comm chair I run into an annoying problem. My minimap key is bound to W (my movement keys are asdf, I know it's unconventional) and whenever I try to use the hotkeys in the comm I always end up pulling up my minimap and seeing as the commander view already has a permanent minimap, I don't think its necessary to have it. I can imagine others may have this problem as well, maybe with different minimap bindings?

tl;dr: minimap hotkey has epic battles with commander hotkeys and wins :/

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    Or you could just use WSAD while you command...seems like a lot less work
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Asking someone to change his preferred controls is no small thing.

But I don't think disabling the map for commanders is such a good idea, sometimes it helps a lot to be able to bring up the large view, especially for new players. Maybe commander mode could have a customizable and separate control scheme?
    What about making it so you can assign the Command Station hotkeys in the options menu?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Well, yeah. How else would you customize it?
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942954:date=Jun 12 2012, 05:37 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 12 2012, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about making it so you can assign the Command Station hotkeys in the options menu?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just thinking that this would be a good improvement - there are a lot of keys that don't do anything while commanding.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you still using my mod you can easily make a very basic autoexec lua script that removes the minimap keybind from the active commander keybinds its just a single line <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->KeyBindInfo.CommanderUsableGlobalBinds.ShowMap = nil<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Oh, thanks fsfod.. did not know I could do that, I will.

About just straight up re-binding.. I suppose I could do that, but it confuses me as to why one should have to bind around it. I'm fine with the default comm hotkeys for the most part, they flow pretty nicely.. having to rebind W would be sort of a pain. I don't understand why the minimap needs to be active when commanding in the first place because your screen is kind of a giant minimap to begin with, in addition to having a permanent minimap open in the comm HUD itself. Why have the player minimap active for a 3rd minimap on your screen? Just seems unnecessary.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943077:date=Jun 13 2012, 08:24 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 13 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About just straight up re-binding.. I suppose I could do that, but it confuses me as to why one should have to bind around it. I'm fine with the default comm hotkeys for the most part, they flow pretty nicely.. having to rebind W would be sort of a pain. I don't understand why the minimap needs to be active when commanding in the first place because your screen is kind of a giant minimap to begin with, in addition to having a permanent minimap open in the comm HUD itself. Why have the player minimap active for a 3rd minimap on your screen? Just seems unnecessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the main interface was zoomed out a bit further, I'd agree with you, but the minimap does a better job of giving you an overall glance at the battlefield, and more importantly, what your footprint is like on it. But then if the main interface was zoomed out further, it would be harder to place structures and support.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ah, I didn't know people actually used the player minimap while commanding, I've never opened it aside from trying to toggle W in the comm bindings..

What's wrong with the minimap in the bottom of the comm HUD? I've always found it to be adequate.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943084:date=Jun 13 2012, 08:43 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 13 2012, 08:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's wrong with the minimap in the bottom of the comm HUD? I've always found it to be adequate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry - that's what I was referring to. I've never noticed that the FPS/marine minimap is open. If it is, you're right, it isn't needed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943086:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:47 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 13 2012, 06:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry - that's what I was referring to. I've never noticed that the FPS/marine minimap is open. If it is, you're right, it isn't needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, that's what I'm talking about =P the player minimap that you can use anytime, not the minimap that's already integrated into the comm HUD.
    <!--quoteo(post=1943084:date=Jun 13 2012, 04:43 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 13 2012, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, I didn't know people actually used the player minimap while commanding, I've never opened it aside from trying to toggle W in the comm bindings..

What's wrong with the minimap in the bottom of the comm HUD? I've always found it to be adequate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The HUD minimap is useful for quickly scrolling to different parts of the map, but I like to use the large map to see where my players are, where opposing structures are, and other things. So both are useful and I wouldn't want the large map removed.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1943164:date=Jun 13 2012, 04:35 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 13 2012, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The HUD minimap is useful for quickly scrolling to different parts of the map, but I like to use the large map to see where my players are, where opposing structures are, and other things. So both are useful and I wouldn't want the large map removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    2nd-ed, I use the large map all the time. Besides having a clearer view of what's going on, it also has room names on it - which is important if you have a memory issue like I do. For example, some of you may have heard: "Someone go to.. uh.. the room east of Sub Access, ah, the map says maintenance access, someone go there." And sadly its not from lack of playing.

Also, bind map display to Mouse4 ftw!