New buy menu for marines

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">.............................................</div>New buy menu for marines?

What was wrong with the old one? I Liked it.

I'm not a fan of the current design and graphic for the new menu.

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am, I can now buy weapons in 640x480 which means playing as marines more viable.

Personally I think it looks more up to date than the old one, which looked a bit retro in the styling...
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943777:date=Jun 16 2012, 07:26 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 16 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am, I can now buy weapons in 640x480 which means playing as marines more viable.

Personally I think it looks more up to date than the old one, which looked a bit retro in the styling...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this
    finally can buy weapons :)
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    I don't like it, either. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems out of place, and every time I open the menu my eyes have to adjust to what i'm looking at before I can sort of see what i'm doing, I liked the old menu because it was simpler, nice and bright and clear, easy to quickly buy what you wanted and jump through the phase gate quickly or whatever you needed to do, the new one feels a bit too much involved even though it's only 1 more click.

<!--quoteo(post=1943777:date=Jun 16 2012, 11:26 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 16 2012, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am, I can now buy weapons in 640x480<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This really shouldn't be a reason to keep it..

lol
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1943777:date=Jun 16 2012, 03:26 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 16 2012, 03:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am, I can now buy weapons in 640x480 which means playing as marines more viable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're joking, right?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943784:date=Jun 16 2012, 09:38 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Jun 16 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like it, either. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems out of place, and every time I open the menu my eyes have to adjust to what i'm looking at before I can sort of see what i'm doing, I liked the old menu because it was simpler, nice and bright and clear, easy to quickly buy what you wanted and jump through the phase gate quickly or whatever you needed to do, the new one feels a bit too much involved even though it's only 1 more click.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think its because the icons are small compared to the rest of the screen space and its all kinda dotted so its hard to instantly make out a certain shape. We'll all eventually internalize where each weapon is though i guess.

The only thing i dont like is that it now takes 2 mouse clicks to buy a weapon :p.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Anyone have video or screenshots ?
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    I hate it.. takes too long to buy stuff
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    We've (PT's) expressed our concerns as well and the issue (multiple clicking to do stuff) is being worked on, I heard there might also be a feature to use the number keys to instantly buy stuff or something along those lines...

<!--quoteo(post=1943731:date=Jun 16 2012, 05:46 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 16 2012, 05:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, the new Armory buy menu is still a work in progress. The info is going to display on rollover, and we will be adding keybinds for purchasing the weapons with the number keys, among other changes and improvements.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    There are really people in space year 2012 who play on computers that can only run games at 640x480? What?

I found the buy menu mildly confusing at first, but grew accustomed to it quickly enough. It's fine. I would like the option to buy stuff with number keys though.

--Scythe--
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Well, right now there's an extra click, you could show the descriptions while hovering over the item, then buy it when clicking, like before... And if we get numbers, then all the better because you can do it quickly.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm just not prepared to pay £700+ of my money on a new setup... gaming is not a massive part of my life enough to warrant the spend.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The new system allows easy adding of new weapons. There sure is room for improvement. Cory stated already that it will be 1 click with info on hovering in the future and also number-keys for choosing.

Another idea: The graphics of the weapons could scale automatic in size with the screen resolution AND the amount of weapon options. Should not be to complicated to implement.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943831:date=Jun 16 2012, 07:11 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 16 2012, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm just not prepared to pay £700+ of my money on a new setup... gaming is not a massive part of my life enough to warrant the spend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's fine, but that also means your opinion regarding the new menu is meaningless as well if you're going to say that it's good based on the fact that you can run it on a cell phone.

If you can only play the game at cell phone resolutions, then saying the new menu is good is not really going to help unless the developers are making this game for the iPhone.

/for the record, my computer sucks as well but I'm playing at 1600x900 or 1200xsomething depending on where I am and what I'm hooked up to.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943840:date=Jun 16 2012, 05:30 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 16 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's fine, but that also means your opinion regarding the new menu is meaningless as well if you're going to say that it's good based on the fact that you can run it on a cell phone.

If you can only play the game at cell phone resolutions, then saying the new menu is good is not really going to help unless the developers are making this game for the iPhone.

/for the record, my computer sucks as well but I'm playing at 1600x900 or 1200xsomething depending on where I am and what I'm hooked up to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He is playing NS2 Beta. So his opinion can't be meaningless. Anything else is just an useless insult. The old menu was to static. A dynamic one like the new is in many ways better. [sarcasm]But you as normal player can't think this complex, thats why your opinion is meaningless.[/sarcasm] Just stop arguing like a little kid, ok?
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943847:date=Jun 16 2012, 07:38 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 16 2012, 07:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anything else is just an useless insult..[sarcasm]But you as normal player can't think this complex, thats why your opinion is meaningless.[/sarcasm]..Just stop arguing like a little kid, ok?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you know what the definition of irony is?

And I'm not insulting him. I'm saying that you can't base decision of the new menu on whether or not it runs well at 640x480 resolution.

But since you have taken it upon yourself to troll all of my posts regardless of whether or not you agree in a blatent attempt to garner replies for no other reason than to receive attention for yourself, I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

/if you go play NS2, that is much more fun game than this "forum game" you play where you just disagree with everyone and post ironic troll posts where you say I'm insulting someone and then you insult me, even when it's obvious that you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Stop playing the forum game.
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    edited June 2012
    Just a funny anecdote - one of my teammates doesn't use mouse button 1 to fire (edit: or any of the normal keyboard/mouse conventions for an FPS), and the new buy menu doesn't like it, so every time he tries to buy a weapon he ends up just moving forward and can't buy a gun.

He's resigned himself to a life of being a Rifle Player, poor dab.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943859:date=Jun 16 2012, 12:27 PM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Jun 16 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a funny anecdote - one of my teammates doesn't use mouse button 1 to fire (edit: or any of the normal keyboard/mouse conventions for an FPS), and the new buy menu doesn't like it, so every time he tries to buy a weapon he ends up just moving forward and can't buy a gun.

He's resigned himself to a life of being a Rifle Player, poor dab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    more of a bug submission really, get your friend to find more issues like that and share the info
    <!--quoteo(post=1943850:date=Jun 16 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 16 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you know what the definition of irony is?

And I'm not insulting him. I'm saying that you can't base decision of the new menu on whether or not it runs well at 640x480 resolution.

But since you have taken it upon yourself to troll all of my posts regardless of whether or not you agree in a blatent attempt to garner replies for no other reason than to receive attention for yourself, I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

/if you go play NS2, that is much more fun game than this "forum game" you play where you just disagree with everyone and post ironic troll posts where you say I'm insulting someone and then you insult me, even when it's obvious that you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Stop playing the forum game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly you haven't understood why I placed the sarcastic sentence there. It was to show you how stupid it is to insult people this way, because you did the exact same thing the post before... Thats why I marked it as sarcasm. You don't even see the mirror, did you?

And on a side note, when the game has the option to play it on 640x480 it has to work with this. Everything other is a bug and he is right to point that out.

Instead of blaming others, that they play the forum game, you may realize that you started it in this thread. I'm only posting answers to this, because I'm sick of the immature behavior of some users. And sadly the only way to make them see is to talk in their language. My sarcasm-sentence was the exact same you wrote. And now you are claiming, that it was insulting? Grats, you have just seen yourself in the mirror.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943840:date=Jun 16 2012, 11:30 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 16 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's fine, but that also means your opinion regarding the new menu is meaningless as well if you're going to say that it's good based on the fact that you can run it on a cell phone.

/for the record, my computer sucks as well but I'm playing at 1600x900 or 1200xsomething depending on where I am and what I'm hooked up to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one likes a smartass.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943882:date=Jun 16 2012, 09:52 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Jun 16 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one likes a smartass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is nothing smartass-y about my statements. <b>The iPhone has a resolution of 960x640.</b>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943859:date=Jun 16 2012, 09:27 AM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Jun 16 2012, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a funny anecdote - one of my teammates doesn't use mouse button 1 to fire (edit: or any of the normal keyboard/mouse conventions for an FPS), and the new buy menu doesn't like it, so every time he tries to buy a weapon he ends up just moving forward and can't buy a gun.

He's resigned himself to a life of being a Rifle Player, poor dab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Using mouse1 for movement? That's not common, but not unheard of. By chance, what key/button does he use for primary fire?
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943902:date=Jun 16 2012, 07:28 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 16 2012, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using mouse1 for movement? That's not common, but not unheard of. By chance, what key/button does he use for primary fire?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At the moment (he changes it from time to time): Mouse1 = Forward; kp_enter = fire; kp_5 = backpedal; kp_left/rightarrow = strafe left/right.

And no, it's not unheard of. He's pretty stubborn so won't change it (which is fair enough), I would quite like him to buy other weapons and jetpacks in future patches though.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i also played on 640x480 for quite a while because of mouse aiming delay, until someone told me about i_rawinput. (sorry this is getting a bit off-topic now)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Point is the menus are all a work in progress, like some other things be patient. They are getting rid of all the flash based menus and so this is only the first step.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    I didn't read this whole thread but the only thing the new menu needs is to remove the buy button and make you purchase upon click. It's not good to have to bring that extra couple seconds into play that are not needed.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I just don't like that it's a tiny-window popping up for the buy-menu; makes me feel like I'm ordering weapons online (alongside the weapons and description not showing up right away.)
  • BaTsBaTs Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151165Members
    I'm not a big fan because all the weapons to buy are so small and your eye isn't drawn towards them like the old menu. I guess it helps people running on smaller resolutions but I'm at 1920x1200 and I feel like each time I go to the armory it takes a full seconds to find what I'm looking for and move my mouse over to buy it.

Might just need some time to adjust but those are my initial thoughts.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited June 2012
    the menu you would be fine if you could double click on the item you want - i'd make the icons bigger and text / price smaller - like an button on an iphone for an app, quick and easy
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943777:date=Jun 16 2012, 05:26 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 16 2012, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am, I can now buy weapons in 640x480 which means playing as marines more viable.

Personally I think it looks more up to date than the old one, which looked a bit retro in the styling...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there was nothing wrong with the old menu, at least bind the new menu to number keys so i dont have to click around
    <hr />
    <!--quoteo(post=1944000:date=Jun 16 2012, 08:40 PM:name=BaTs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BaTs @ Jun 16 2012, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not a big fan because all the weapons to buy are so small and your eye isn't drawn towards them like the old menu. I guess it helps people running on smaller resolutions but I'm at 1920x1200 and I feel like each time I go to the armory it takes a full seconds to find what I'm looking for and move my mouse over to buy it.

Might just need some time to adjust but those are my initial thoughts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this

so annoying
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1944025:date=Jun 17 2012, 06:39 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 17 2012, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the menu you would be fine if you could double click on the item you want - i'd make the icons bigger and text / price smaller - like an button on an iphone for an app, quick and easy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This reminds me, you should be able to double-click on a server in the server browser to join a server instead of clicking the server, then join :\