Remove armor healing from Armory

vupvup Join Date: 2007-10-28 Member: 62763Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Welders are not used for welding each other anymore these days.</div>Just my opinion:

I really liked it in some patches ago , that marines were able to weld each other my pressing "e". This was some great part of squad teamplay. Nowadays you just run to the armory and hump it. I seldom buy welders because I think they are waste of res most of the times. Only when really needed to weld a building, I buy them. When marines attack there is often an armory which makes welding other marines obsolete.

I think that this is a loss of teamplay. In my opinion armor repair should be removed from the armory or atleast reduced so that it takes longer. (note: only for the armory not for the health!)

Welders should be free after upgrade (for the loss of switch ax).

What do you think? Welder should really be for free in my opinion because otherwise it ends like in ns1 . People rarely got welders by the comm or used them. (atleast not properly).

oh and where did that feedback key in ns2 go? does it still exist?

Comments

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm supporting this. Armory should repair armor way slower to encourage welder use.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    Let's remove armor healing for aliens while we're at it to "encourage" gorge healing.

Yea, no thanks.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943876:date=Jun 16 2012, 01:26 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 16 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's remove armor healing for aliens while we're at it to <b>"encourage" gorge healing.</b>

Yea, no thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorges have lmgs in their mouth now instead of a water pistol? Hot diggity!
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Master Blaster... please refer to NS1.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As annoying as it was in NS1 pubs to get someone to weld you, it promoted teamplay better than alot of other features. The armory healing everything as fast as it does heavily promotes marine turtling, and I would rather see it not repair armor, or repair it at a significantly slower rate (like 1 a second or something).
  • vupvup Join Date: 2007-10-28 Member: 62763Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943876:date=Jun 16 2012, 07:26 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Jun 16 2012, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's remove armor healing for aliens while we're at it to "encourage" gorge healing.

Yea, no thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can´t compare this. Aliens just can´t take a welder to repair their armor. They need an extra lifeform. Imagine a marine player who would just carry a welder and nothing else ( that would be pretty stupid).
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I think we should first make welding more accessible (mostly giving the person welded some sort of warning, so they have the opportuinity to stop and you do not have to chase them with the stubby welder range) before we go about making such significant changes. I for one would gladly buy a welder if only it was easier to use the damn thing.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I love the stupid comparisons
    Fantastic idea but i dont think its easily implementable without tweaking balance.
    that and people don't really stop to be welded
    The problem isnt the welder itself, its the fact they run off when your trying to weld them.
    Or at least that's my experience of it anyway.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Welding on the field is waste of resources without armor 2 / 3 upgrades. But I meet players almost every game who welds each other on the field, so I don't really see the issue.

What I do agree upon is the fact that people are running away when you try to weld them. In NS1, the loud noise from the welder was always recognized and players would stop when they heard it. In NS2 the audio is generally ###### up, I can't even hear a skulk biting 1 room away without turning up my speakers to 100%, or even that. The welder gives off a very subtle sound unless you've got headphones and unafraid of sudden very loud sounds.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't say get rid of it completely; rather, make armor healing only work for armories in which there is a CC in the same room. Or have it be a 5 TRes researchable per-armory upgrade.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ^Or have it be advanced armory only?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1944875:date=Jun 19 2012, 03:21 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 19 2012, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^Or have it be advanced armory only?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought this as well. Once that Armoury is upgraded to an Advanced Armoury I would be OK with armour being replenished from it. Maybe make welders cheaper so they are used at the start of the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1944847:date=Jun 19 2012, 02:57 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jun 19 2012, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welding on the field is waste of resources without armor 2 / 3 upgrades. But I meet players almost every game who welds each other on the field, so I don't really see the issue.

What I do agree upon is the fact that people are running away when you try to weld them. In NS1, the loud noise from the welder was always recognized and players would stop when they heard it. In NS2 the audio is generally ###### up, I can't even hear a skulk biting 1 room away without turning up my speakers to 100%, or even that. The welder gives off a very subtle sound unless you've got headphones and unafraid of sudden very loud sounds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Keep in mind that I think that it´s especially an issue because armory welds you fast and easy and for free ( so espcially with only armor 0/1 buying welders to weld each other is not worth it.) But also take a look back at ns1. Sometimes welding when having only armor 1 or 0 was still crucial because skulks could parasite you and kill you with only 2 bites. This still works in ns2 if you have armor 0.

I also think that it´s a huge problem that people dont notice when they are getting welded. But it used to work quite well sometimes when I spammed on public chat xD ("Use "e" to weld each other") Then sometimes people really took care of eacht other within a squad, which was a really nice teamplay aspect!

off-topic: an Idea pops into my mind to create a little tutorial for marines called "squad training". Marines have to walk through a map and do different things. In each situation they need different skills and equipment from every single marine. (Compare this to "Alien Swarm") Maybe people get a consciousness for what equipment is important and what benefits it can have if you move as a squad.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Another idea is to have welders researched by default and cost 5 pres. Commander really needs to be able to drop them for the team though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    As soon as the exo is in welders will become really important again.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    We've been playing with this in the competitive mod and (imo) it sucks.

I do think armory healing and armor repair speed needs to be drastically reduced though.
    you played with what? Armory without Armory healing? why did it suck? :X
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946260:date=Jun 24 2012, 06:24 AM:name=vup)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vup @ Jun 24 2012, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you played with what? Armory without Armory healing? why did it suck? :X<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

marins just used welder and stayed @ the armory. marins couldnt get much presure on the aliens, so they pushed us back all the time.
    they used it on that balance (competitive) mod and like GORGEous said it didnt work. The theory is good (thats why they used it), but its diffrent ingame.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Some great discussion in this thread. As Krull said, exo will make welders important.

At the moment it's too cheap, easy and beneficial to just drop armouries in every room. Armoury for 10 is bananas now that medpacks and ammo cost team res.

Whatever changes are made to the dispensing rate of armouries, you should never have to stand in front of them for too long. I agree that at the moment it's dispensing too fast but even now I get annoyed with having to wait for tech 3 armour to be repaired. Maybe you could buy a fresh set of armour for a small amount of pRes.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946261:date=Jun 24 2012, 12:45 PM:name=Aioros)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aioros @ Jun 24 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->marins just used welder and stayed @ the armory. marins couldnt get much presure on the aliens, so they pushed us back all the time.
    they used it on that balance (competitive) mod and like GORGEous said it didnt work. The theory is good (thats why they used it), but its diffrent ingame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    One could have seen that before. Allowing only the advanced armory to repair armor is a disadvantage for the marines. In order to balance it, you have to change other things too. For example: Make welders cheaper or let them drop every time the wielding marine dies or shorten the marine spawn time by one second to compensate.

It can't work if you only change something to a disadvantage for marines. I think it can work if balanced and will benefit drastically teamplay.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    To be fair, I said in my opinion it sucks. Some of the other players like it. Most haven't, but the main guys working on the mod (dragon, eh, grissi) seem to think they can make it work. One of the tweaks they've made is to make welders available from the beginning of the game (no research). Welders still cost 5 pres each. You also keep your axe (welder is #4 by default). When I played with this, it was still pretty bad because fades and skulks just jump in, wear down armor, run out, go back in and get kills. There was no real way to defend yourself without a dedicated player constantly welding. It wasn't particularly fun, nor did it add anything to gameplay. It just made you do your welder homework after every. single. skirmish.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    Or just allow an armory in the same room as an armslab to maximally regain the armor of a marine and other armories only to the point of basic level 0 armor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1946478:date=Jun 25 2012, 04:22 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 25 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, I said in my opinion it sucks. Some of the other players like it. Most haven't, but the main guys working on the mod (dragon, eh, grissi) seem to think they can make it work. One of the tweaks they've made is to make welders available from the beginning of the game (no research). Welders still cost 5 pres each. You also keep your axe (welder is #4 by default). When I played with this, it was still pretty bad because fades and skulks just jump in, wear down armor, run out, go back in and get kills. There was no real way to defend yourself without a dedicated player constantly welding. It wasn't particularly fun, nor did it add anything to gameplay. It just made you do your welder homework after every. single. skirmish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well that´s the way it was in ns1. And we dont even have focus in ns2 yet. I think it rather balances the game. Marines cant go rambo alone or defend sth. on their own because they need some1 to weld. You could maybe enable self weld or lower the armory healing rate to a reasonable amount (as my topic said ye...). Also forcing marines to weld each other would help the fade to fullfil it´s duty. Fast attacks and get the ones who are weak... Units like lerks or gorges can reduce health/armor and fades can wipe them out. If you balance this I dont think it´s a problem that marines have to weld each other. You could for example increase the amount of armor... etc... But the way it´s now with humping the armory is just too boring and doesnt creat actual teamplay or makes marines move anywhere...

An other idea: you simply increase the costs of armories...

At the competitve thing: why didnt marine simply use medpacks and welders on the field instead of humping the armory?