Let's prolong the early game

2»

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2012
    In regards to the economy in 210, is there a reason why RTs still cost 10 T.res in the current res model? Was this an oversight or did UWE really intend to make RT losses a lot less punishing.

To illustrate, at 1r/5s instead of 1/8 you now earn back the cost of a harvester in 50 seconds instead of 80. This means that essentially, it's much harder, if not nearly impossible to cripple a team's economy by focussing down RTs. (They will have earnt back the cost of thoee RTs in under a minute, biting/knifing an RT almost takes that amount of time by itself) I don't think this is good balance at all, and this is just one of those massive irregularities in the 210 economy (Which I hope are primarily due to oversight)

Here's what I would propose for 211

Base Res Rate 1/6

RTs: 15 T.res (From 10)
    TF: 20 (From 15)
    Upgraded TF: 25 (From 20)
    Sentry: 15 (From 10)

CC, ADV Armory and Hive costs should probably be increased somewhat as well.

At these values, together with 1/6 instead of 1/5, the economy will be much closer to pre210. Personally I would even suggest taking it a little further, prolonging the early game, by upping some of the costs. For example: Arms lab to 30 (from 25), Leap to 30 (No reason leap should be cheaper than Blink, stomp, etc, it affects gameplay A LOT more), and some other tech progression cost increases (Armour, Weapons for Marines, higher T3 alien lifeform ability costs,
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    no

delete this one too.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    I have always felt early game needs to be extended in NS2, its the most fun part of the game as far as im concerned. However, going back to the old 2nd hive T3 lifeform route as a previous poster stated is a bad way to go about it and so is some arbitrary maturation time.

Tier 3 should be something that is the sum of all efforts of your team and how well your side is doing. Only the best team, who also manages a good economy should be able to unlock tier 3 tech first, just like any RTS.

Thats why tier 3 should solely rely on TRes, however, upgrades in general should simply take longer and cost more. It should become a tactical decision whether to build say 2 arms labs at once to upgrade things faster for example, which has not yet been seen in NS2 really.

Also there needs to be a cap on TRes income, having over 100 TRes is absurd and does the game no good, as all it leads to is spamming of Arcs, whips, cysts and ######.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1944725:date=Jun 18 2012, 09:56 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 18 2012, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some good thoughts<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^

I'd also like a longer early game, early game is, for me, the most fun part of every game.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Some of the suggestions here running on HBZ3 right now. Here are the changes i made: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115099&view=findpost&p=1946244" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1946244</a>
  • Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
    I was always a fan of upkeep in games like WCIII. The more units you build, the more powerful your army becomes, but you take a hit to your resource acquisition. I wonder how well such a feature would work in NS2 -- higher tech slows down your resource gather rate. So, you could try to advance quickly into high tech, gaining an early advantage, but if you don't win quickly you will be at a disadvantage from a lack of funds. Or, alternatively you could wait it out, stockpile a bunch of res, and then later advance in levels.

I think this option would, well, give players a lot more option. You can still rush to higher tiers, but there is a drawback to doing so. Most teams, however, would want to extend the early game.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1944446:date=Jun 18 2012, 06:57 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 18 2012, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But please don't let us forget about the roots of this. Why is the early game more fun than late game? Because it is much more balanced. So instead finding solutions to prolong the early game, it would be better to make the mid and late game the same fun, the early game is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>+1</b>