Hydras Will Not Die

olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
<div class="IPBDescription">... only on infestation</div>I've been trying to think of a natural way to buff the hydra by using its namesake and without the common damage/more hydras/cost res approach.

As we all should know, the hydra of myth is a beast with many, many heads and each time you cut off the head, it grows back. And can keep doing such unless all the heads are cut off.

In game, we can't shoot off the heads of the hydra model one by one, but we can cut it off from its source. Infestation.

The basic idea is this:
-While on infestation, Hydras will not die, but be reduced to 1ish hp where they will remain lifeless like the current death animation except they will still hang on the walls. (or they could retreat back into the infestation)
-While on infestation they auto heal. (which is how it works in game anyway)
-Once a hydra reaches 15% health, they come back to life. (values could be adjusted)
-After placing hydras on infestation and switching away from gorge, hydras will still go down to the 1ish percent and not attack, but will remain in place.

--Hydras off infestation behave the same as they do in game currently. (they die)
--Adding more hydras past the three limit still kills the previous hydra on infestation or not.

I could see a few benefits from this.

+While hydras still go down easy, it would free up the gorge to not worry about them, and concentrate more of keeping cysts/other aliens up.
+Hydras put down by people who are no longer gorging will remain, but will need to be healed by gorges. (this is practically how it works now, but could make a huge difference when pushed by marines into previously alien owned territory)
+Hive rooms would be easier to defend as there will be plenty of infestation and gorges could keep ranged defenses up while healing the hive. (with the exception of ARCs of course)

I think this could add a lot to how hydras function and the visual appeal of infested corridors.

Comments

• NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    Nice I like it, they still need to be buffed though. Mainly their damage values.

Two gorge spits and three hydra hits should kill a marine 0/0. A 0/0 marine should die as fast to three hydras as a skulk does to one sentry gun.

They need that fear. That you shall not pass fear. Put back into the marines. They either need to deal with them. Find a easier method to deal with them e.g Flame thrower or GL. Or find another way around the map.

Not run past them and out run the sliding celerity gorge and axe him to death.
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    Oh don't get me wrong, they definitely need a good buff in other ways. The hydras right now are no more annoying than a slight ear buzzing to marines. I'm just working with what we have currently in b210 and trying to promote another way of going about buffing them that makes that they are called 'hydras' are even more apparent.

Plus it would look way cool to see a bunch of dead hydras dangling from the tops and sides of an infested corridor, wouldn't it?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    This idea has been floating around for a bit, and i support it.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115233&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=115233&hl=</a>
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    Oh my bad, and here I thought I made an award winning original idea. Glad to see the idea has some steam and, of course, I think it roxorz! :D