For what are hydras?

frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
So, for what are hydras in b216?
You could change them to a Flower, it would make no change, hydras are useless in b216.
I talk to many people on a server and everybody confirm.
Hydras are for free but it make no sense building them, it just stops marines for 2-4 seconds if it stop them, they can simply pass by.
Change them, please!

Comments

• LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    not if a gorge is nearby to heal them up? makes some clogs to hide behind while you're healing them up?
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962787:date=Aug 14 2012, 05:14 PM:name=LPC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LPC @ Aug 14 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not if a gorge is nearby to heal them up? makes some clogs to hide behind while you're healing them up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This way you can stop a marine advance for a long time untill GL's, Arcs or Flamethrowers
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    I would have to agree. Hydra are useless. sentry seem alot more powerful. half the time i cant even tell if hydra are even attacking. and gorge spit... lol. My biggest issue is if you like building and defending. why not make it a viable and usefull thing to do. unless you have 2 gorges build in the same spot. its useless. i remember ns1 gorges being alot more fun. besides bile bomb they are next to useless in ns2. and where is WEB!!! or some snare of some sort.
    and maybe an indicator of attack RANGE is a nice thing to add for hydra placement.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So many people say they are overpowered when I do not think so. At least someone agrees with me.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I've found that all I have to do when facing hydras is run past them. If people stop moving right in front of them, they get spiked, but hydras really don't seem to be able to track movement very well, so they're lousy at actual area denial. What's the point?
    Been that way since ns2 was around. when they made things free they made them even weaker. it seems. or maybe people know how to combat them. i usualy just run by them as a marine.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Most marines just jump the line, kill the gorge, shake the Hydra's hand, and be on their way.
    <!--quoteo(post=1963056:date=Aug 14 2012, 11:01 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 14 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most marines just jump the line, kill the gorge, shake the Hydra's hand, and be on their way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In general, I just plain have to agree. Hydras can't aim against moving targets, making them very weak outside of hallways.

While a full clog wall + hydras + gorge there to heal is VERY annoying and can lock down entire areas of the map, think about how much time investment goes into that. Not only does the gorge have to place, what, 9 clogs and 3 hydras, but has to STAY there to constantly heal spam or the marines will focus down each hydra in a flash.
    It's fine if this tactic still exists, but it should not be the only viable tactic for hydras.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Here is the problem with almost everyone in this thread: this is a first person shooter, not a RTS, RPG, or a tower defense game. If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating. On the other hand, if you realize that hydras are supposed to assist your skulks in holding a room, you see how they can reduce even a3 marines to two bites.

Anything that 1 10 pres unit can do needs to be easy enough to defeat for a team of marines, hypothetically as few as 2 marines.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963056:date=Aug 15 2012, 12:01 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 15 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most marines just jump the line, kill the gorge, shake the Hydra's hand, and be on their way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If a good gorge has a good clog wall in a good possition with hydras, this wouldnt happen.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963162:date=Aug 14 2012, 09:01 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 14 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If a good gorge has a good clog wall in a good possition with hydras, this wouldnt happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would.

There are two ways to clog a way.
    1. Build a wall or
    2. build a line (starting from ground or wall)

The line is fragile, if the rine shoots the right clog the hole line or a big bunch will just fall to the ground -> dead gorge.
    The wall is better because u build 2-3 clogs on top of each other... a lower clog can be shot and the rine can just jump over it.
    But its only a small opening. But it got some downsides with hydra placing and passing through.

Most of the time if i see a gorge its a dead gorge.. dont care if there r clogs or hydras.
    And if my com gives me a healthpack or nano... the gorge can say goodbye to his 10 res.

I went from a gorge for life ns1 player to someone who just dont want to play this weak and boring class anymore in ns2.

I want 2 changes:
    1. Clogs connect to each other forming a combined health pool. U can only shoot the hole wall down not single clog (hp is a balance question).
    2. Hydras should add a stacking movement and/or vision debuff with every shot.
    3. It should be easier to kill as a gorge.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    People who say hydras are useless obviously don't know how to play gorge imo. Oh and to the "jump over hydras, kill the gorge, kill the hydras" comment - yea, good luck with that buddy.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    well if you think about it, Hydras are free and they can be placed almost anywhere, plus Gorge is a support lifeform, people use gorges to clog entrances and speed up the hive expansion.

the purpose of the hydras in my opinion is not an alien turret, but rather a long term deterrent.

the whole purpose of clogging an entrance and placing hydras on top of it is to keep marines busy enough until actual frontline aliens come to defend, but still good enough against rogue marines who try to backdoor.

what i don't understand is why they deal light damage now!!!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1963150:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:45 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Aug 15 2012, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the problem with almost everyone in this thread: this is a first person shooter, not a RTS, RPG, or a tower defense game. If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    <!--quoteo(post=1963150:date=Aug 14 2012, 07:45 PM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Aug 14 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you show me the post that says that hydras "should" hold a room by themselves?

Many have the feeling that hydras have no impact whatsoever.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    3 hydras + 10 clogs and gorge healing them can easily hold off several marines if you clog up a narrow hallway.

until GL's come out, but then if your khammader is decent they'll drop you a crag and a few whips.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963150:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:45 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Aug 15 2012, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the problem with almost everyone in this thread: this is a first person shooter, not a RTS, RPG, or a tower defense game. If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating. On the other hand, if you realize that hydras are supposed to assist your skulks in holding a room, you see how they can reduce even a3 marines to two bites.

Anything that 1 10 pres unit can do needs to be easy enough to defeat for a team of marines, hypothetically as few as 2 marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This!

Not a week ago, we had a thread about how overpowered gorges with hydras are. Mostly because the new people don't understand that they need to hunt the gorge down and not standing in front of the hydras shooting them. I don't even blame them. The game needs a way to explain them, that they do nothing by shooting the hydras, while the gorge is healing. I have literally seen games, where most of the marine team tried for the whole round to get the hydras of two gorges down that had a farm near our base. I told them... I thought, they would learn it after 15 minutes... but no... Standing there shooting hydras. I think something has to be made more intuitive about that.

Now we got the same thread here, we have already about the glass sentries. People like the warm fuzzy feeling of building sentries / hydras to lock down an area. Everyone likes to stand with the butt against the wall, so nothing can get you from behind. But we had this already. We had sentries that were strong enough to shut a hallway down for aliens. This led to commanders, that don't researched weapons or upgrades, but spamed sentries were they could. They locked down room after room. It was neither fun for the aliens that couldn't move into most parts of the map, neither was it fun for the marines, that lost most fights against mid-game aliens because of missing upgrades.

All this led to the change of having damage dealing buildings only as support for the players. Not as a additional static AI unit. While I got more into the sentry topic here, it is the same with hydras. They are useful. You can lock down a room with them. But you need at least one gorge and one skulk to make this possible. And that is how it should be. You should sacrifice attack-potential (=players) when you want to defend. And not building up defense out of res while keeping your full attack-potential.

TL;DR: Good placed hydras together with a gorge can't hold of more than 1 marine. (If marines focus the gorge.) But as soon as one skulk is together with this gorge in the room, it becomes way more powerful.
    vs. 2 Marines: 1 Skulk > 1 Gorge with Hydras
    But!
    vs. 3 Marines: 2 Skulks < 1 Gorge with Hydras + 1 Skulk
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    and essentialy its lame and op functionality, even with a small res cost, it's not a fun game, quite odd how one gorge can lock down a room, but 3 sentries and one marine don't have the same effect. and are much more costly.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963150:date=Aug 15 2012, 12:45 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Aug 15 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the problem with almost everyone in this thread: this is a first person shooter, not a RTS, RPG, or a tower defense game. If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating. On the other hand, if you realize that hydras are supposed to assist your skulks in holding a room, you see how they can reduce even a3 marines to two bites.

Anything that 1 10 pres unit can do needs to be easy enough to defeat for a team of marines, hypothetically as few as 2 marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, on the other hand if you make hydras cost 10 pres again they could be much stronger, killing them as marine would mean -30 res for the gorgy, and no instant redrop possible.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1963150:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:45 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Aug 15 2012, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the problem with almost everyone in this thread: this is a first person shooter, not a RTS, RPG, or a tower defense game. If you make passive defenses like hydras strong enough to hold a room by themselves, combat becomes really slow and irritating. On the other hand, if you realize that hydras are supposed to assist your skulks in holding a room, you see how they can reduce even a3 marines to two bites.

So not only do you lose a mobile assault unit when a player goes gorge, but the gorge only functions when other mobile assault units sacrifice their mobility in order to camp a room which the gorge is meant to be defending?

Ooooh, I get what you're saying. Don't go gorge. Right.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    edited August 2012
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Hydras aren't there to kill things, they are used to slow the rines down and do a bit of DMG so the Skulks can 2 bite kill em.
    Sure Hydras arent very effective if you place em in a row, keep some distance between the hydras so if a Rines runs past the first, he will face another around the next corner and another one after this corner.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->F.e.:
    H H H
    \ | /
    ..M
    Isnt as effective as:
    ...........H
    H....... /
    ...\
    ....M .-- H

(ignore the dots it is for fotmation)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And this is the biggest fault Gorges do, lining up the Hydras!
    edited August 2012
    In what way is that formation better? Three hydras in a row work to suppress marines who try to shoot them down. A single hydra can't even suppress a single marine, any more and it will go down in seconds. Furthermore, staggering hydras doesn't allow them to do any more damage to a marine, as they all have the same amount of exposure time. In other words, if a single Hydra does 10 damage a second, and a marine takes 2 seconds to run past a group of hydras, or 6 seconds to run past 3 placements of a single hydra, the damage output is the same.

The difference is that a gorge has the ability to keep marines in a single location for a prolonged period of time, thats why you place them all together, and fight near them, so that they can provide maximum support when you need it. Fighting at the location of a single hydra is pointless. You might as well be fighting with no hydras at all.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Well if 3 hydras are lined up a Marine can walk ledt and right and they will miss, but if they are at different spots the chance he gets hit is alot bigger.

If you have 3 kids that throw sbowballs at you and they all stand in fron of you, you can evade all shots, but if one kid stands at your right, one above and one in front of you atleast 1 will hit you.
    And hydras are free so if they die at the front retreat a bit and place a new one, as I said they are here to slow the marines down and doing assist DMG.

And if a Gorge set up a Hydra line the rines will flank him and get him defenseless from behind.