Fades have too much health

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
I was playing a few games, and I noticed that every time we play, the fade would dive into a group of marines, be shot by 5 guys at once, kill a few people, then magically teleport away. This repeats and most fade players end up getting 53/2 k:d's. It's absurd, if the fade has so much health why can he retreat so easily?

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Your marines have poor aim.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think its more of an issue with adren fades and their unlimited bursts of invisibility and teleporting (which makes them hard to hit btw)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    odd, i can easily solo a fade. and im not the best marine out there (quite the opposite)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The problem here goes to performance, so I don't think its worth addressing right now. In many cases, as with the player above, ability to fight a fade is completely based on system performance rather than player performance. If you have a shotgun, level 2 weapons, and 60 frames per second, that fade can be killed in under 2 seconds. Unfortunately, most people don't have the third requirement, and so they end up shooting at a static image which their screen has displayed for the last second.

Long story short, fades are actually very weak. In my opinion they may be too weak. Its just that nobody can hit them because when you combine low frame rate with something that teleports, you're gonna have a bad time.
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only time i've seen a fade this build is when i was in a exo, and he melted like paper, it was kinda sad.
    So yeah i don't think fades have too much health, they just require chasing away and keeping fire on them while they do so.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    They don't have that much health, it's just as soon as they get fairly damaged they tele all the way across the map at 200mph, because they have the energy to do that now for some reason.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968093:date=Aug 29 2012, 05:52 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 29 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->odd, i can easily solo a fade. and im not the best marine out there (quite the opposite)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not the good ones you cant. Unless you get lucky. Best one can hope against a good fade is to temporarily scare it off at the price of some puncture wounds.

As an fyi, in NS1 fades were always perfectly visible. There was no change to the model during blink and they were still scary good.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Well you'll begin to notice that in 217, the good fades aren't holding blink anymore so they're almost always visible anyways.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That ^
    And currently the fade can only blink forward, severely restricting his escape and combat potential. (not sure exactly if that was intentional or a mis communication)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think fades need their original values back to see how it works. "300/150"
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doesnt really reduce combat potential, just the randomness potential (and the abuse potential). Adrenaline is still pretty insane so its still abuseable but much improved asfar as blink goes... Would like to see shadowstep and blink swapped (blink always avail with shadowstep upgradeable on Hive 2), and the shadowstep adren cost increased somewhat.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Restricting freedom of movement by removing 3/4 directions / options of course impacts combat effectiveness for a melee class?

Also, I've heard that swap argument before, and I know ns1, but why? What is the argument? I consider shadow step incredibly inferior to blink so why would you swap it again?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1968399:date=Aug 29 2012, 12:45 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 29 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Restricting freedom of movement by removing 3/4 directions / options of course impacts combat effectiveness for a melee class?

Also, I've heard that swap argument before, and I know ns1, but why? What is the argument? I consider shadow step incredibly inferior to blink so why would you swap it again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Biggest argument is to allow 1 hive fades to combat jetpacks which adds comeback potential.
  • TetraponyTetrapony Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154602Members
    Taking Down fades requires mostly reacting fast and be aware which angle they are facing, you can almost predict which direction they ran. But fades can solo quickly specially when the Marines panic (THEY DO!).

having one fade teleporting around randomly, the marines spam their bullets everywhere until ran out of ammo or clips and then a single fade just slaughter everybody. if you play as a marine save bullets and don't panic (< very important) .
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Fades are no longer op.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968404:date=Aug 29 2012, 06:56 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Aug 29 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades are no longer op.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, now Exo is.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1968405:date=Aug 29 2012, 12:00 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Aug 29 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, now Exo is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or is it!?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968093:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:52 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 29 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->odd, i can easily solo a fade. and im not the best marine out there (quite the opposite)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bad Fade :s
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1968408:date=Aug 29 2012, 07:03 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Aug 29 2012, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or is it!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Trollbomb <!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->*ahem*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Bilebomb says no :P
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968399:date=Aug 29 2012, 02:45 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 29 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Restricting freedom of movement by removing 3/4 directions / options of course impacts combat effectiveness for a melee class?

Also, I've heard that swap argument before, and I know ns1, but why? What is the argument? I consider shadow step incredibly inferior to blink so why would you swap it again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see why they just don't get rid of shadow step at this point. Make blink a basic skill and give us back metabolize (or a acid rocket clone).
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The way I see fades, you should never really be able to kill one, only weather its attacks.

The fade attacks with attrition, blinking in, hitting a few marines, maybe killing one, and blinking out again, repeat. Eventually, the fade will either kill every marine in the area he is attacking, or the marines will push on his retreat position, and he will have to fall back. This should continue until he can fall back no further, and is in his hive room.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968419:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:14 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 29 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way I see fades, you should never really be able to kill one, only weather its attacks.

The fade attacks with attrition, blinking in, hitting a few marines, maybe killing one, and blinking out again, repeat. Eventually, the fade will either kill every marine in the area he is attacking, or the marines will push on his retreat position, and he will have to fall back. This should continue until he can fall back no further, and is in his hive room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is the way it should be, but play pubs and you see most marine teams fail to push unless the alien team is utterly bad and even then some coms dont push. this is why the entire "fade is op" argument was wrong from the very beginning and why the alien team is so piss poor weak now. every class got nerfed due to some perceived op notion and now they have to undo the nerfing to fix the problems in the game.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just make it so the fade gets feign death always and doesnt uncloak until its back to 100% hp...

Restricting fade movement limits your running/approaching effectiveness, but doesnt change the actual part where your swiping someone (use shadowstep in combat...) The reason for blink on hive 1 is to fight jetpacks better, and that shadowstep is more of a combat upgrade then a movement upgrade...
    Blink on hive one is needed so fades can actually move around the map at a reasonable pace especially since shadowstep-midair-doublejump spam is no longer the most effective way to move anymore.

Shadowstep gives fades an extra bit of manuverability and trickiness, but it isn't a viable movement mechanic by itself anymore; hence the need for blink on hive one.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967797:date=Aug 28 2012, 06:55 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 28 2012, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your marines have poor aim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^

:-P

A level 2 shotgun marine vs a fade is a pretty evenly balanced fight in my opinion. Sure, if you think about it the fade can always run away before he takes too much damage... so in theory the fade should almost always win by ruining the marines armor and coming back after it has healed.

In reality this doesn't always happen. If both players commit to the kill and don't retreat it's not that hard to kill a fade (Even a very skilled one). It takes a bit of luck to land those critical shots when they are blinking to you, but if you land a couple solid point blank shots the fade is toast.

I think the fade is perfectly fine how it is. If you're a smart fade you shouldn't ever die, but playing smart is often very tedious.

Fades aren't a god class like so many people make them out to be. They are limited by the knowledge of the player, and the situations you put them in.

The fade is only good at engaging 1 marine at a time (And distracting a lot more) unless the marines are on armor 0. 2 shotgun marines should always be able to make the fade back off, if not die.
    The bigger issue with why fades are dominating pubs is how often I see marines not even shooting at them. Or even attempting to do so in some cases.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited August 2012
    I think a lot of people who have qualms with the fade and stuff are probably newer to the whole "Hit-scan quake style" type of gameplay. These games demand consistency, and don't reward players as much for "luck" twitch shots over consistent accuracy over time.

I remember when I first loaded quake I kept thinking "Wow things take forever to kill" . People get too engrained on the whole "Point, click, and win" gameplay of CS, COD, and BF.

The truth is, the only thing holding you back in this game as marine is your ability to put your crosshair on something and click. I haven't tested it recently but last few builds not even a full clip of level 2 LMG can kill a carapace fade if you don't miss a single shot.

So, let's do that math... two level 2 LMG marines can kill a fade in less than a full clip of ammunition. Actually, let's not do the math cause I suck at it. What I am saying is that fades DO die easily when people actually hit them.