Why is Carapace 1st still the standard in 217?

2»

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968888:date=Aug 31 2012, 01:38 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 31 2012, 01:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with pub servers is (generally) you can't know everyone's strengths and weakness as a player. If you know that JoeSchmoePlayer and two other players are awesome lerk players, you will probably steer your upgrades to support them. But if you don't know anything about anybody, you have to play a general path along certain assumptions: the biggest of which is that most people will play skulks (not comfortable with the higher lifeforms) and that they will generally jump into the fray and stay there until either they or the marine is dead.

In that regard, Imbalanxd is absolutely right - carapace is the most useful upgrade for those players. Regeneration is useless because they won't retreat if they are losing, in order to regenerate and fight again. Celerity is useful for map control, but only if you know where you're going, and again, most new or casual players don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This post made a lot of sense to me. Presumably the answer is to deliberately not research carapace and instruct/remind the rest of the players how to make use of whichever upgrades you <i>do</i> research.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969035:date=Aug 31 2012, 12:08 AM:name=Brynn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brynn @ Aug 31 2012, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not only that, but if you can't see the benefits of regeneration... I hope I never get you as a commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hardly. Think of it this way: my strategies do not support the kind of gameplay which regeneration breeds or encourages. You can't very well have a commander employing one strategy while his soldiers execute another. If I never build regeneration, my soldiers can never implement that style of play.
  • AdanuAdanu Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969039:date=Aug 30 2012, 06:16 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 30 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hardly. Think of it this way: my strategies do not support the kind of gameplay which regeneration breeds or encourages. You can't very well have a commander employing one strategy while his soldiers execute another. If I never build regeneration, my soldiers can never implement that style of play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you never build regeneration, I'm just going to sit longer to wait for the natural regen rate. If you're so stubborn that you refuse to consider anyone elses views, why the hell should I care about yours?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969041:date=Aug 30 2012, 03:23 PM:name=Brynn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brynn @ Aug 30 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you never build regeneration, I'm just going to sit longer to wait for the natural regen rate. If you're so stubborn that you refuse to consider anyone elses views, why the hell should I care about yours?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I was a new commander, I often ran into this problem myself. It didn't make me a very popular commander.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969041:date=Aug 31 2012, 12:23 AM:name=Brynn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brynn @ Aug 31 2012, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you never build regeneration, I'm just going to sit longer to wait for the natural regen rate. If you're so stubborn that you refuse to consider anyone elses views, why the hell should I care about yours?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Consider your views? Does the commander consider everyone elses views as they run around ignoring his way points and doing what they like? Does he consider their views when everyone goes exo and the base gets overrun?

The commander considers nobodies views but his own. That's why he's called the commander. If you don't want to listen to the commander, that is your choice, but don't try to pass it off as someone else being bad at the game.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have seen shade hive been the 1st upgrade a lot more the crag hive during my time on this build.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968888:date=Aug 30 2012, 09:38 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 30 2012, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with pub servers is (generally) you can't know everyone's strengths and weakness as a player. If you know that JoeSchmoePlayer and two other players are awesome lerk players, you will probably steer your upgrades to support them. But if you don't know anything about anybody, you have to play a general path along certain assumptions: the biggest of which is that most people will play skulks (not comfortable with the higher lifeforms) and that they will generally jump into the fray and stay there until either they or the marine is dead.

In that regard, Imbalanxd is absolutely right - carapace is the most useful upgrade for those players. Regeneration is useless because they won't retreat if they are losing, in order to regenerate and fight again. Celerity is useful for map control, but only if you know where you're going, and again, most new or casual players don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good post and true. If I know I have good players, going celerity will give a great boon to the team. We can outmaneuver marines and take down RTs. Players are skilled enough that they don't run directly into fire. Going regen allows experience players to maintain their presence around the map, not having to return to the hive.

However most pubbies just charge straight in like canon fodder, wasting eggs. Need carapace to reduce this impact until the second hive is up.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1968940:date=Aug 30 2012, 06:16 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 30 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not a risk, it actually makes the game really bad. Why? When you take crag or shift first, win or lose, eh maybe it was a good game, maybe it wasn't some stuff went down, ###### ended up how it was going to, c'est la vie. When you take shade hive first, if you win its because the teams werent balanced and the marine team was really bad, and if you lose its because you went shade first.

Mark my words, in a completely balanced game, aliens will never win with shade hive first. Never.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I fear in a competitive (balanced) game that you may be right. :( Shade chambers need an upgrade that directly benefits Fade and Onos, right now they are all a novelty when it comes to higher lifeforms.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969049:date=Aug 31 2012, 08:46 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 31 2012, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Consider your views? Does the commander consider everyone elses views as they run around ignoring his way points and doing what they like? Does he consider their views when everyone goes exo and the base gets overrun?

The commander considers nobodies views but his own. That's why he's called the commander. If you don't want to listen to the commander, that is your choice, but don't try to pass it off as someone else being bad at the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It sounds like you can imagine two different models:
    <ul><li>Absolute obedience</li><li>Absolute individualism</li></ul>
    Neither is a reality.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968901:date=Aug 31 2012, 03:00 AM:name=Sebenza)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sebenza @ Aug 31 2012, 03:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woah, no, I strongly disagree. This game is still about resources, and 1-2 roaming skulks that destroy extractors away from the frontlines make a huge difference, either keeping marine res-flow very low or forcing them to scatter accross the map in order to defend their valuable extractors.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except 1-2 roaming skulks attacking RT's do less damage to res income than 11 marine attacking harvesters. Marines can recyle, there extractors cost less oh and aliens no longer have the mobility edge early game.

Carapace needs to be removed from its current format and made as a simple comm upgrade (like armour for marines).
    This would remove the 1st hive being crag all the time, it would also allow for better scaling of vanilla lifeforms at the 1 min mark and the 15 min mark, currently only marines improve in vanilla format.

Its stupid that a skulk is as tough at the end of the game as he is at the start, the same is not true for marines and IMO is creating balance issue. this is illustrated by the shift in early game dominance from aliens to marines, an organized marine team expands faster and easier than an equally skilled alien team.
    By changing this you could move silence to Crag (changes feet surface to allow for silent moving), bring focus to shade and allow silence AND camo to be used again (since 1 upgrade limit came in this has become impossible again).
    A noisy invisible skulks almost useless, better to be visible but chose silence, more likely to succeed with attack.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969064:date=Aug 30 2012, 05:21 PM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Aug 30 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fear in a competitive (balanced) game that you may be right. :( Shade chambers need an upgrade that directly benefits Fade and Onos, right now they are all a novelty when it comes to higher lifeforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos yes, but fades benefit immensely from feint death.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969071:date=Aug 31 2012, 12:35 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 31 2012, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos yes, but fades benefit immensely from feint death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is that sarcasm
    <!--quoteo(post=1969079:date=Aug 30 2012, 06:48 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 30 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that sarcasm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe I'm just a terrible fade player, but being able to feint death then blink out improves my surviveability alot.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969056:date=Aug 30 2012, 07:07 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 30 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have seen shade hive been the 1st upgrade a lot more the crag hive during my time on this build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to assume that it is because people probably heard for the 40th time to stop going crag hive first as carapace is trash (early game). So players are experimenting a little bit currently, but once this patch becomes a week or two old, alien coms will start with shift as it is the best route.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969081:date=Aug 31 2012, 12:57 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 31 2012, 12:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm just a terrible fade player, but being able to feint death then blink out improves my surviveability alot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well i find feint to be pretty usless, a bit with fade but expecialy with onos

<!--quoteo(post=1969094:date=Aug 31 2012, 01:37 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 31 2012, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to assume that it is because people probably heard for the 40th time to stop going crag hive first as carapace is trash (early game). So players are experimenting a little bit currently, but once this patch becomes a week or two old, alien coms will start with shift as it is the best route.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shift hive is better for 1st on this build imo anyway
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Feint is junk, thought it would be removed this patch in place of sensible abilities like focus or possibly SoF.

Agree that celerity is a much better choice for first hive, then you can shift hatch to your in-progress hive as well.
    A bigger issue for me is the limited choices in abilities, umbra on the lerk is my favourite and I never get to use it. /cry.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969128:date=Aug 30 2012, 10:24 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Aug 30 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agree that celerity is a much better choice for first hive, then you can shift egg to your in-progress hive as well.
    A bigger issue for me is the limited choices in abilities, umbra on the lerk is my favourite and I never get to use it. /cry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ranged spores might actually bring people back to playing lerks more. And if there are more people playing lerks, alien commanders might actually start upgrading lerk tech.

Lerks could probably be dropped to 25 personal resources. Might get more people playing it since by the time you've stored up 30 resources, might as well just save 20 more for fade and being a lot more effective and useful. Again, ranged spores might help give lerks that needed much needed kick to playability.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Feint is junk, thought it would be removed this patch in place of sensible abilities like focus or possibly SoF.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Feint has its niche place. It just needs to be brought back to it's release usefulness. It's also currently bugged to where marines can still see you on the minimap while stealth-invulnerable.
    See my link about shade tech. Combining camouflage into silence will free up a spot for focus to return.

Shameless self linkage.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120490" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=120490</a>
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969049:date=Aug 31 2012, 12:46 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 31 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Consider your views? Does the commander consider everyone elses views as they run around ignoring his way points and doing what they like? Does he consider their views when everyone goes exo and the base gets overrun?

The commander considers nobodies views but his own. That's why he's called the commander. If you don't want to listen to the commander, that is your choice, but don't try to pass it off as someone else being bad at the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't justify your stubborn commanding with bad marines. There are good marines that listen to your orders and bad marines that do what they want. There are good commanders, that talk and decide together with their marines and bad commander that only do their own thing.

Only because there are bad marines, doesn't mean you should be a bad commander. Reach to the top. Don't justify yourself with other players being more bad. Never ever! Be a good role model for other players. Not a bad one, only because bad players exist.
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    Once the meta catches on I'm sure most khamms will be going hive first and then dropping adrenaline and following up with the crag. It's still beta and the player pool is really small. Once the game drops the meta will shift a lot more frequently. like all betas the meta is going to be slow. Not sure if you played SC2 beta a couple years back, but the meta was completely indecipherable from the current state. There was about 3 viable strategies. So just give it time.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969049:date=Aug 30 2012, 06:46 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 30 2012, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Consider your views? Does the commander consider everyone elses views as they run around ignoring his way points and doing what they like? Does he consider their views when everyone goes exo and the base gets overrun?

If a commander cant get a pub in a sembelance of order I cannot say I am much impressed with his or her abilities, in any sense of the word. And please do not feed us that crap about pubs being impossible to command and nobody listening to you, I (and many others in my presence) have managed to get the greater part of our teams to follow orders and cooperate in strategies.

Also I do not like you, you reek or arrogance and conceit veiled behind a thing veneer of 'reasonableness' and the fact that your words are often thought out and worth considering just intensifies my dislike.

I find feint is mostly useful for fooling all the marines who didnt get the kill, since the one who got the kill obviously knows you didnt die. Although in the chaos of combat they might have other concerns than looking for your escaping arse.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969541:date=Sep 1 2012, 04:48 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Sep 1 2012, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find feint is mostly useful for fooling all the marines who didnt get the kill, since the one who got the kill obviously knows you didnt die. Although in the chaos of combat they might have other concerns than looking for your escaping arse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would the one who got the kill know the alien didn't die?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969608:date=Sep 1 2012, 09:46 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 1 2012, 09:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would the one who got the kill know the alien didn't die?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can tell since you dont get the score pop-up, if thats what you asked.

Silly mechanic :/
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969129:date=Aug 31 2012, 04:30 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 31 2012, 04:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ranged spores might actually bring people back to playing lerks more. And if there are more people playing lerks, alien commanders might actually start upgrading lerk tech.

Lerks could probably be dropped to 25 personal resources. Might get more people playing it since by the time you've stored up 30 resources, might as well just save 20 more for fade and being a lot more effective and useful. Again, ranged spores might help give lerks that needed much needed kick to playability.

Shameless self linkage.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120490" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=120490</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I recall, people wanted spores to be ranged so that lerks could have a ranged weapon right away without requiring any research. Now that spikes and spores have been switched, I don't think thats required anymore.

I'm a lerk player myself, and I prefer the spores as they are right now so personally I hope they'll never get changed back to the NS1 spores.
    <!--quoteo(post=1969612:date=Sep 1 2012, 10:01 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Sep 1 2012, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can tell since you dont get the score pop-up, if thats what you asked.

Silly mechanic :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't? Why was I so sure that you did?

Werd
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969618:date=Sep 1 2012, 10:23 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 1 2012, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't? Why was I so sure that you did?

Werd<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe somebody mentioned before as well that when an alien fakes it, he will still appear on a marine's minimap.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I love Celerity+Leap, and I always beg the comm to get Leap right after Celerity so I can get my plentiful kills before I Fade/Onos.