Flamethrower

KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Right now, the Grenade Launcher is more or less superior to the Flamethrower. The Grenade Launcher can kill pretty much any lifeform, including an Onos; it's great at taking out huge masses of Alien structures, it can be used to defend groups of Marines by shooting at their feet, more expensive than the GL, etc etc. Flamethrowers...reduce energy regen. The DOT is really negligible and my understanding is that Aliens can self-regen the DOT away. I wouldn't know because nobody uses flamethrowers.

Instead of lowering energy regen rate, I'd like for the fire debuff to null natural regen (both energy and health. A Gorge/Crag can still heal you though) and for the actual flamethrower itself to <i>drain</i> energy. It would improve it's utility vs higher lifeforms (giving it something over the grenade launcher) without actually improving it's damage at all.

Because as it is, having adren and/or regen kind of makes the flamethrower obsolete.

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Flamethrowers have their usage vs fades but they do need to be buffed
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    The problem with flame thrower and grenade launcher is their spammy nature, they are just naturally less skillful weapons, not sure how they will balance these without having a pretty long reload time, So marines get punished for the spam. Its bad enough with grenades just spamming entire day, no skill, down side., just spam back instantly refill on ammo and spam again.

every game it costs 10 mins of real life because of marine turtles like this.
  • fishpigfishpig Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157386Members
    You're calling GL's spammy whilst gorges have bile bomb?
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973838:date=Sep 8 2012, 01:49 PM:name=fishpig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fishpig @ Sep 8 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're calling GL's spammy whilst gorges have bile bomb?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bile cant be used to kill enemy in an instant like GLs can...was sadly part of a hexadeth thanks to 1 GL and 6 skulks taking out an obs.
    Biles only good for taking out structures...gl are great at structures and lifeforms.

I think GL's need damage splash back if they hit a friendly, set it at about 50% of the damage they would take had they been that close to the GL when it goes off.
    Means you can still GL and not worry about killing team mates....but do it often and you kill yourself...is a nice variant on standard FF and encourages you to be a little more careful.

Will help balance the GL spam, not sure flamers are as much of an issue but similar approach could be taken (but that would need to be alower splash back rate I think).
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973904:date=Sep 7 2012, 11:20 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Sep 7 2012, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile cant be used to kill enemy in an instant like GLs can...was sadly part of a hexadeth thanks to 1 GL and 6 skulks taking out an obs.
    Biles only good for taking out structures...gl are great at structures and lifeforms.

I think GL's need damage splash back if they hit a friendly, set it at about 50% of the damage they would take had they been that close to the GL when it goes off.
    Means you can still GL and not worry about killing team mates....but do it often and you kill yourself...is a nice variant on standard FF and encourages you to be a little more careful.

Will halp balance the GL spam, not sure flamers are as much of an issue but similar approach could be taken (but that would need to be alower splash back rate I think).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not calling for a Flamethrower nerf on top of the GL, are you? Because...yeah. It's already the worst Marine weapon on top of being the most expensive.

Edit: On second thought, it might be roughly on par with the LMG...but...30 res for a sidegrade to the starting weapon? Eeeeh.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973909:date=Sep 8 2012, 05:48 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 8 2012, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're not calling for a Flamethrower nerf on top of the GL, are you? Because...yeah. It's already the worst Marine weapon on top of being the most expensive.

Edit: On second thought, it might be roughly on par with the LMG...but...30 res for a sidegrade to the starting weapon? Eeeeh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not a nerf no...still do same damage but might have some splashback damage os similar.
    might be worth considering..expecially with Exo's...but I think sort out GL first...then see if we have issue with GL's simply being replaced with rines and flamers.
    Then we could either consider splashback damage or perhaps having the exo's overheat faster (so using lots of flames around an exo is a bad idea).

But first we need to sort out the GL spam at team mates feet and finding a way to reduce this but not eliminate it totally.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Tbh, Id say that its more a case of the GL being too good vs lifeforms than the flamer being not good enough.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974107:date=Sep 8 2012, 12:48 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 8 2012, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tbh, Id say that its more a case of the GL being too good vs lifeforms than the flamer being not good enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the GL is made worse vs lifeforms, then it becomes a matter of having two guns that are good vs structures, but one is cheaper <i>and</i> more effective. Unless the flamethrower is given more unique properties or have it's current ones greatly strengthened (DOT is pointless, spore clearing isn't good enough to warrant the res cost, and slowing energy regen really isn't helpful in it's current iteration), then it will continue to be inferior to the GL.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974110:date=Sep 8 2012, 08:53 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 8 2012, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the GL is made worse vs lifeforms, then it becomes a matter of having two guns that are good vs structures, but one is cheaper <i>and</i> more effective. Unless the flamethrower is given more unique properties or have it's current ones greatly strengthened (DOT is pointless, spore clearing isn't good enough to warrant the res cost, and slowing energy regen really isn't helpful in it's current iteration), then it will continue to be inferior to the GL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well no, they serve different purposes. Flamer shuts down whips etc whilst GL does massive damage to structures, its also worth remembering that whilst flamers dont lol instagib lifeforms they are something that has to be thought about by people trying to just blink/leap in for 1 hit and leap out again. Potentially swapping the cost of flamer and GL would be nice but I do really think that its more a problem of the GL just being too useful than the flamer not good enough, if shooting at peoples feet with the GL were looked at then things would be much better imho.