NS2 Beta not loading.

John De SconeJohn De Scone Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158328Members
Hi guys.
I've had the beta installed for some time now via steam, however, I haven't played it in a few months.
I wanted to give it another try and a few days ago I tried to load the game however, after the initial "preparing to launch" window the game does not start. It does not let me start the launch pad either.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling however this has not helped.
I saw a post from another website saying to install a file that was found in the 'redist' folder, however even after a reinstall the file still isn't there.
Thanks.

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Found this guy's post:
    <!--quoteo(post=1946675:date=Jun 26 2012, 11:57 AM:name=unforgiven73)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unforgiven73 @ Jun 26 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed the problem by searching google for these packages and installing them.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable x86
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable x64
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x64
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86

Took me a few hours of searching to find the right solution on the forums... wouldn't be a bad idea to attach this solution to some of the webbed troubleshooting threads.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you try this?
  • John De SconeJohn De Scone Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158328Members
    Thank you for replying so fast, unfortunately I was away over the weekend and couldn't try this until now.

This fix did not work for me. I still have the original problem. Thank you anyway.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hi there, please download this and install DirectX 9 for Windows:

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35</a>

Thanks!
    Hi, It said there was a newer version installed and would not complete the installation. Thanks anyway.
    Hello,

Can anyone please help me?
    I have tried numerous fixes and still cannot play this game.
    I have played it on the same machine before but for some reason after some inactivity on the game I cannot play it anymore.

I am starting to get a bit annoyed due to the fact that I bought this game a while back and all of a sudden I even play it, due to an unknown reason.

Thanks.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    edited September 2012
    Go to steam, right click your game. Go to properties. Click on the Local Files tab. Click Verify integrity of game cache.

If that doesn't launch go to you steam folder and launch it there.
    I had already tried those fixes but after trying again it still didn't help.
    Thank you anyway.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    Hmm, if you haven't have you tried running steam as administrator, also try restarting steam. I would do this also, not sure if you haven't or if they will help,.
    Just tried that, thanks for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately it still did not help.
    Thanks for everybody's input anyway.
  • insanemonkey746insanemonkey746 Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161674Members
    Thanks for the reply.

I googled those, downloaded them, and ran them. Still does not work =x
  • GibbyLOLGibbyLOL Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154371Members
    Fixed the black screen on launch.
    1. run dxsetup in drive/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/redist/directx/
    Its about half way down.
    2. Delete the files in drive/users/user/appdata/roaming/natural selection 2 **NOTE YOU NEED BE ABLE TO SEE HIDDEN FOLDERS SINCE THIS IS A HIDDEN FOLDER.
    - On win7 to show hidden folders click on organize>folder and search options>view check "show hidden files, folders and drives under hidden files and folders.
    3. Delete the folderC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders
    4. Go on Steam, go to Natural selection 2, right click>properties>local files> verify integrity of cache
    (this will re-download the files you just deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)
    Then it will give you a message saying it's done. Then you're all set, good to play NS2.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122577&st=0#entry2002080" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....=0#entry2002080</a>
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2002145:date=Oct 31 2012, 06:16 AM:name=GibbyLOL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GibbyLOL @ Oct 31 2012, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed the black screen on launch.
    1. run dxsetup in drive/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/redist/directx/
    Its about half way down.
    2. Delete the files in drive/users/user/appdata/roaming/natural selection 2 **NOTE YOU NEED BE ABLE TO SEE HIDDEN FOLDERS SINCE THIS IS A HIDDEN FOLDER.
    - On win7 to show hidden folders click on organize>folder and search options>view check "show hidden files, folders and drives under hidden files and folders.
    3. Delete the folderC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders
    4. Go on Steam, go to Natural selection 2, right click>properties>local files> verify integrity of cache
    (this will re-download the files you just deleted, but it will be the correct files this time)
    Then it will give you a message saying it's done. Then you're all set, good to play NS2.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122577&st=0#entry2002080" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....=0#entry2002080</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THANK YOU for posting this!