Steam Friends on Mini-map

iSiruxiSirux Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159316Members
I always play NS2 with a friend or two (usually never alone). I'd really like an option to be quickly be able to distinguish my steam friend from random people on the server on the mini-map. Simply making steam friends a different color would be an excellent sollution (I can't see any reason not to add this, at the very least as an option).

Thanks for considering it (it's really all I'm asking for)!

-iSirux

Comments

• BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    edited September 2012
    Team game not hold hands with friends kind of game. I hate it when idiots decide they don't want to go somewhere because they have to be together.. get a room
    They could probably make this feature though.. if not someone could mod it in.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Agree with iSirux, there must be an indicator allowing to find your friends in the crowd, different minimap color, different color and longer display distance for nickname, maybe even an arrow somewhere in the corner. I also prefer to play with friends because it's much more teamwork and cooperation, longer lifetime and tons of fun in general.

And Bitcrusher, I strongly disagree. I hate when (sorry for the word)#d#ots rambo around and die as soon as they split from a group, or when you have no armor/health but a welder guy/gorge won't even try to help. Shame public is often at 0-teamwork level. Friends allow for teamplay, that's another point to add the feature ;)

And also would be nice just to pick teammates you'd like to be highlighted right from the Score menu. So, yes, please add the feature, I have been missing it for like a year or two =)
  • iSiruxiSirux Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159316Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977781:date=Sep 14 2012, 09:37 PM:name=GreenFlame)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreenFlame @ Sep 14 2012, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agree with iSirux, there must be an indicator allowing to find your friends in the crowd, different minimap color, different color and longer display distance for nickname, maybe even an arrow somewhere in the corner. I also prefer to play with friends because it's much more teamwork and cooperation, longer lifetime and tons of fun in general.

And Bitcrusher, I strongly disagree. I hate when (sorry for the word)#d#ots rambo around and die as soon as they split from a group, or when you have no armor/health but a welder guy/gorge won't even try to help. Shame public is often at 0-teamwork level. Friends allow for teamplay, that's another point to add the feature ;)

And also would be nice just to pick teammates you'd like to be highlighted right from the Score menu. So, yes, please add the feature, I have been missing it for like a year or two =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This makes me think that instead of a different color it could be your steam avatar (really small, obviously) so you could tell your different friends apart from eachother. I really hope this will get added now that I've got an extra copy of the game aswell. Thanks Unknownworlds! :D
    Would be nice to be able to join the servers your friends are playing :D.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    edited September 2012
    I'd love to see this as well. Especially if you could select someone on the scoreboard and see where they are on the map/minimap.

If the avatars could not be used somehow (I can see how could potentially look horrible), it would be fantastic if you could click on a name and select "Set Color". That way you could distinguish between various people, friends or not.

<!--quoteo(post=1978201:date=Sep 15 2012, 08:17 AM:name=Bitcrusher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitcrusher @ Sep 15 2012, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be nice to be able to join the servers your friends are playing :D.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can do that right now. Just right-click on your friend in the Steam Friendslist and select "Join Game". If the server is full, there's even an "auto-join" feature.
  • iSiruxiSirux Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159316Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978211:date=Sep 15 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Sep 15 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to see this as well. Especially if you could select someone on the scoreboard and see where they are on the map/minimap.

If the avatars could not be used somehow (I can see how could potentially look horrible), it would be fantastic if you could click on a name and select "Set Color". That way you could distinguish between various people, friends or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is good, but only if it would be saved from game to game.
  • AdreniAdreni Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159063Members
    edited September 2012
    I support this with the thunder of a thousand... ...onosi? oni? We'll go with Oni since I can just pass that off as meaning Japanese demon. o3o

So yeah, I support this with the thunder of a thousand Japanese demons. >.> Or... giant, bloodthirsty, alien rhinoceros things. Either or.

Verily: Both invite AND tracking, big time.

---

Oh, and for everyone else's sake (I'll just use Teamspeak) I'll have to throw in a vote for friend-squad chat. A hotkey with which to whisper to buddies on the field. Granted, there's Steam voice and Teamspeak... but I dunno how the in-game chat works (Such as: Portal 2 uses Steam voice chat, I think... sooo...)

And... for avatars and such, just use Steam avatars. Better yet, pull a Dystopia and have a stats WEBSITE.

---

But yes! THOUSAND ONI!

EDIT: ...Ohai, I found the stats website.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978211:date=Sep 15 2012, 08:54 AM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Sep 15 2012, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can do that right now. Just right-click on your friend in the Steam Friendslist and select "Join Game". If the server is full, there's even an "auto-join" feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ah, never got to test this out, none of my friends can play ns2 yet, saw this in a stream though :D