A level system

KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">To help balance teams</div>I was watching TotalBiscuits video about Gotham City Imposters going F2P and I noticed that the teams were being balanced based on each players level and that got me thinking if that wouldn't also be a good idea for NS2.

I thought about how it would work and I wanted to throw my idea out there. What if levels were based on your points after a match and after e.g. 2500 points you gain a level. This could then be used to balance teams by for example placing the highest rated player on one team, then the next two on the other team etc. Server owners could decide whether they wanted it as a permanent feature or if it should require a vote just like many servers have a voterandom option now.

If something like this was implemented it would basically alleviate teamstacks I think, since all the players would be able to see at a glance if one team has more higher level players and be able to vote for this autobalance feature.

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I have mixed feelings on this. Natural Selection's community is really mature compared to other games. Level systems in other FPSes promote a sense of hierarchy, and people discriminating others based on rank. But what would the rank be based off of? Kills? Points? Won Games ratio? Any way you do it, it's going to affect how people play the game, except if we have rank at rank=time played.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    I dont think this would be a good idea to officially use, but it might work on smaller scales - like a servermod.
    Problems is, as godrifle puts it, how do you balance it?
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    I would be overly annoyed if I wanted to play as marines but was forced in kharaa team or vice versa.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Skill-based balancing would be good. Skill-based matchmaking would be better.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    Your level is based on your points at the end of the round as I said. Good players will level up faster than bad players, thus being a good estimate of skill.

Also why would players be discriminated more than they are today if they have a low level? And how would they even be dicriminated? I have yet to experience something like that. And it's not like you can't see who the bad players are today, just a quick look at the score board will tell you that. I don't think a level system would do that at all. Maybe if it was NS1 where the commander decided who got what, but I don't see how it could happen in NS2.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982473:date=Sep 24 2012, 07:31 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 24 2012, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skill-based balancing would be good. Skill-based matchmaking would be better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess so, but it depends on how many players we'll get after release and if it doesn't take too long to find a match. With the suggestion in this thread it wouldn't any longer to find a server than it does now though.

<!--quoteo(post=1982471:date=Sep 24 2012, 07:26 PM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ Sep 24 2012, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would be overly annoyed if I wanted to play as marines but was forced in kharaa team or vice versa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that already happens with voterandom. With this suggestion atleast the teams would be fair every time and you'd avoid teamstomping.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It would be interesting if this were kept under the hood, so players don't know their level or that even such a thing exists. Still gives the same benefits but with a much lower chance of impacting the way a person plays.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982471:date=Sep 24 2012, 01:26 PM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ Sep 24 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would be overly annoyed if I wanted to play as marines but was forced in kharaa team or vice versa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Almost as annoyed as I am fighting the same extremely good person with too much time on their hands that goes marines every game.