Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown)

Comments

• LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    I like what i read so far.... btw, is that Onos' crouch->shield ability still going to make it in? Or is it in already? i have not been playing because of the performance.
  • NiBBlerNiBBler Join Date: 2009-09-06 Member: 68708Members
    Great Work UNKNOWN WORLDS keep on making the game better and u got my cheer :)

Also I have the Black Armor Edition so do we get the 2 key when the game releases at October because my friend who i told i will give the 2 key is all ready dying to play this game!
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984514:date=Sep 29 2012, 09:09 PM:name=Bearborg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bearborg @ Sep 29 2012, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it was just a weird fluke or a bad team, but out of the 5 games I've played in Build 221, the Marines won 5 times. I'll be very interested to see what the balance stats look like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marines been winning alot in the servers i been playing in too, i been playing nearly all day since waking up.

Its so easy to be a good marine but to be a good alien is so much harder. Marines are effortless, which is why i dont play them often.
  • QuelTosQuelTos Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1984519:date=Sep 29 2012, 06:16 AM:name=NiBBler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NiBBler @ Sep 29 2012, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I have the Black Armor Edition so do we get the 2 key when the game releases at October because my friend who i told i will give the 2 key is all ready dying to play this game!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Twitter says:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK we _think_ all the free copies of NS2 have been given out now. Have a look.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got my gift now. Check out if you got yours as well in Steam under "Games" -> "Manage Gifts and Guest Passes".
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    changes sound good

but my current expierence in this build ... marines >> aliens

they run faster, spawn faster ... i have no idea
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    Too bad you didn't update anything to the menu... it's the first thing new players will see and server browser still is very slow and lacks of filter settings and favorites...

Everything else you changed: Well done! :-) And I really like the new marine spawning animation!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984363:date=Sep 29 2012, 04:47 AM:name=Flipper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flipper @ Sep 29 2012, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It all looks good...

EXCEPT: no rifle but stun :( why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it was way overpowered to have the riflebut both do damage, knock skulks back AND stun them. IE. making them sitting ducks.
    Also, I'm crashing every time I use armory or prototype lab in 221. Can we get a hotfix asap?
    Performance seems much better for me, and haven't run into checkerboards so far. Great work.

Seems I posted too fast about the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120287" target="_blank">checkerboards bug</a>. It is still around.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Patch looks pretty great, really happy it's here.

2 things:
    - Sentries :(
    - Gorge love (make him an actual combat engineer)

Hope we still get to see those 2 addressed before release and I'll be one really happy panda.
    Keep up the good work!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but my current expierence in this build ... marines >> aliens

they run faster, spawn faster ... i have no idea<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hope they take out sprint, or nerf it a little at least. Can't really say much about skulk wall-jump, somebody said it's WIP so hopefully when it's done it will also be a real help in giving skulks that speed edge through skilled movement.
  • KartoshkaKartoshka Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Enjoying the game at the moment, so not wanting to just draw out the negative BUT...

Playing fade in this build feels like trying to unsuccessfully drive a large sack of potatoes.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1984543:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:21 PM:name=Kartoshka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kartoshka @ Sep 29 2012, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enjoying the game at the moment, so not wanting to just draw out the negative BUT...

Playing fade in this build feels like trying to unsuccessfully drive a large sack of potatoes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems fine from what I played in Explore mode. Just shadow-step into the blink.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Lerk spore hit indicator is broken (crosshair turning red when you're landing hits with it) Makes it confusing. Also, still not sold on the T1 spike + bite lerk, it'd be MUCH MUCH more enjoyable if T1 gave spores for proper support and area denial and spikes was buffed up to be a true DPS platform rather than this piss poor one. (I'm talking primarily later on in the game)

Bite should suffice early game + spores, spikes should be a viable weapon versus tougher (and mobile) marines, but it isn't. Instead, once marines get A3 you're out of luck. Certainly when they get jetpacks.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Fade movement was the only thing done right and U broke it on purpose to make shadow step more used.. Retarded. News flash, shadow step was already amazing... Please revert fade movement.

Uwe, I really feel you don't have the understanding to implement a movement based skill for the alien class and need input from experienced ns1 players. Its obvious the persons in charge of movement don't understand what we are requesting or have the actual game skill/experience in what their trying to implement.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    This is the way I want it to be and if you don't agree you are retarded!
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only played a couple of games and messed about on explore mode but it feels and plays like a great patch.

<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->Positives:
    - Performance feels a lot better, looks like bringing in a few more programmers made a massive difference, can use max settings now with a constant 60+ fps.
    - Steam Workshop support (Will be great once the server operators get to grips with it)
    - Removal of the Onos slow down after sprint + the slight speed increase makes the Onos a beast again, love it.
    - Lerk is much better, would still like to see spikes on LMB though (an option to customize it perhaps?)
    - Explore Mode is really well done, one small thing though, you should be able to replace your alien upgrades, rather than having to evolve something else first.
    - Field of View slider<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->Negatives
    - Commander bubbles that pop out of various structures telling you to build/upgrade a certain structure/ability. They get in the way and I really don't think they are needed.
    - Skulk wall jumping. Looks as though you are still working on it though, fingers crossed we can see an improvement in the next build<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Will edit as I play a bit more. Great job though, 1.0 is shaping up to be a success.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984514:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:09 PM:name=Bearborg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bearborg @ Sep 29 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it was just a weird fluke or a bad team, but out of the 5 games I've played in Build 221, the Marines won 5 times. I'll be very interested to see what the balance stats look like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess you are right, i "just" played 4 games and all was won by marines.
    Fades die like Flies...lol
    But all these 3 games (at first i was spectator) was fun as marine.
    Have no idea how aliens play, but since 219 i don't play aliens anymore.

Edit:
    Some funny thing was, i saw a red dot on minimap, you know like enemy, but it was like a laserpointer, moved so fast.
    I guess it was a dead enemy but the ragdoll is fixed so im sure i saw the blip of the alien commander.
    It was on mineshaft south west at the "old" marine start, you know with the glass on top.

Edit2:
    <!--quoteo(post=1984519:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:16 PM:name=NiBBler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NiBBler @ Sep 29 2012, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I have the Black Armor Edition so do we get the 2 key when the game releases at October because my friend who i told i will give the 2 key is all ready dying to play this game!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I got the BAE or 'Special Edition' too and i get my key 1-2 days ago, i don't know 100%, but its in <a href="http://imageshack.us/a/img90/448/yaygs.jpg" target="_blank">my inventory</a>, take a look in yours!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    revert blink, it was fine before.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984558:date=Sep 29 2012, 09:20 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 29 2012, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->revert blink, it was fine before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

srs question. in your experience, why is shadow step + blink not workable? is it lesser than before Or is it just a chore?
    edited September 2012
    It seems like an unnecessary nerf, fade was in a good place.

Skulk feels better at least, but the collision boxes really need some work still.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So, after about two years of terrible blink, we finally had a decent blink in the last version... and now you revert it? Good stuff.

Thanks for releasing this on the same day as a tournament that was announced two weeks ago...
  • NiBBlerNiBBler Join Date: 2009-09-06 Member: 68708Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984522:date=Sep 29 2012, 02:35 PM:name=QuelTos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QuelTos @ Sep 29 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Twitter says:

I got my gift now. Check out if you got yours as well in Steam under "Games" -> "Manage Gifts and Guest Passes".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes what a great surprise it was the key arrived :)

So can my friend join me in beta now or dos hi have to wait until Game Release?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So can my friend join me in beta now or dos hi have to wait until Game Release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have to wait until release
  • LapichonLapichon Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36035Members
    I didn't make so much testing but on performances:
    - in Marine and alien, I sometimes get massive lags (fps drop to 10-15) when stuff happens (entities, sprites (?).. mainly).
    - in spectator mode, I don't get any of it (stable fps, between 30-50) and I can fly through the map with an amazing fluidity..

Could it be the HUD (comm, life, upgrades icons, etc...)?
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Why are Spectator changes never listed with some sort of commands for the help for it?

Would be nice to know direct updates to it in build releases also, not to hunt them across the forums or bugging Huze with it :)
  • -Mike--Mike- Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114420Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Why you didn't nerf the marines in any way is beyond me, and what did you mean with shadow step wasn't used? It's used more than blink, and blink feels so clunky and boring now. I used blink in combination with shadow step to get a momentum boost, but now that mechanic is flawed.

But as I stated before, Why on earth do you keep nerfing aliens and boosting marines in the last builds?

You are probably taking your data from comp. players, but in reality, in pub games (Which I play alot) the sad truth is aliens loose alot. It feels like UWE has picked their favourite team. Exosuits are still ridicilously OP. Wth marines around an exo, onoses doesnt stand a chance, especally against a dual minigun exo. It kills an onos so fast you cant even react.

I hope you make some changes to the marine side in the future, and not only nerf the khaara.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there any reason why they got rid of the shadowsfade option? I have a comp that is good enough to play with out shadows fading and would prefer that.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Love this build with the execption of lerks they are just to slow now i would rather have them fast and do slightly less damage than being this slow even with celerity they feel slow
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Fade nerf was completely unneeded.

Lack of any shotty changes (clip size and accuracy/spread) is odd

Skulks are better now, thank god

Lerk is far far too slow for the extra 50 hp you gave him (2 bullets, woot)
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I just want to know what you have against the fade. It has always been the weapon of choice for the aliens, with a higher skill requirement then onos and the ability to strike anywhere (rines are never safe).... It used to be a small victory every time a fade went down, a sign of teamwork and skill.... I have a feeling that im going to miss hearing "Fade Down!!!"

Rifle-butt... sad was so satisfying and even as a skulk as frustrating as it was I always had to tip my hat and think "good show"

I guess I dont understand the concept of "trade offs" It like every upgrade i chose has a significant downside, are you trying to level the playing field such that every eveolution of upgrade doesnt really change your power but just changes play type?
  • r0@rr0@r Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160490Members
    The fade blink nerf doesnt sound very promising. Why change it when it was good already?

Btw. I was searching in the forum for the fade blink topic and came to the question why they removed the early beta instant blink version comepleteley from the game. Couldnt find the answer though. Maybe someone can tell me?
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->A lot of nice additions in this build. New/fixed icons for alien queen especially (Cory's work I presume?). Haven't tried fade yet, but...

- Skulk still feels like bitegorge, albeit with teeth now. I'd prefer you just brought back the 219 walljump, but I'm open to experimentation.
    - Lerk buffs are nice, and I don't mind the speed nerf (crackbat was a bit OP). Lots of complaining, but people will adapt in time.
    - Main menu music still missing. Sadface.
    - Win/loss seems pretty even. :)

Saw a few complaints about phase gate usage again. I had an idea that maybe the commander can select a phase gate and put it on a "channel" to decide where it goes? Or like set a rally point on another gate to send users there? Just throwing that out there.

Overall a good build, fun to play. My cheeks are sore from smiling too much. Keep up the good work! <3<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->