Which settings affect your FPS the most

AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
<div class="IPBDescription">My findings on biggest FPS hogs</div>So On my particular setup I've found out how I can get the best fps with the best quality. With the addition of the FPS meter in the Graphics setting menu (THANKS BTW!!) and on the fly graphics changes you can gauge each setting on how it hits your FPS and then mess with settings till you find what you like.

For my setup I found that

Setting native res
Every setting off or low
Texture streaming on
Multi core on.

This gave me a capped 60 fps.

I upgraded the texture to high, and no fps change
atmospherics, a couple fps

Down to 55 fps now.

I enable shadows, WOAH down to 35 fps right off the bat
So enabling shadows brought the FPS down a whole 20fps from 55fps.

Ambient occlusion drops it another 10 fps, so im down to 25 fps in the starting area, not even in game

So basically i've found out that i can crank every setting up all the way, leave shadows and ambient occlusion off, and it runs like butter at 55fps.
I'd like to play with shadows atleast, but it hits you for 20fps.

There's got to be something going on with the shadow code for it to hit that much. Are you guys actively looking at the engine, and fine tuning the engine, for instance speed up how it renders shadows?

Comments

• comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984903:date=Sep 29 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Sep 29 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you guys actively looking at the engine, and fine tuning the engine, for instance speed up how it renders shadows?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe that with the current lockdown, that's one of their biggest concerns right now. Although not so relevant at the moment (since all that can be disabled, I'd prefer they would work on the things that the user has no control over and are currently hitting hard on the frames per sec a client gets), your findings surely are significants.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984906:date=Sep 29 2012, 07:09 PM:name=comp_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (comp_ @ Sep 29 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe that with the current lockdown, that's one of their biggest concerns right now. Although not so relevant at the moment (since all that can be disabled, I'd prefer they would work on the things that the user has no control over and are currently hitting hard on the frames per sec a client gets), your findings surely are significants.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know what would be interesting, is to tie your system settings that get sent through steam into NS2?!

They could then track system specs and correlate them through steam ID into some sort of log that shows a "this hardware needs work on shadows, that hard ware needs work on textures. bleah i dunno. rambling.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    I thought it was mainly my CPU affecting my relatively poor FPS, but it does seem like some of these settings do make somewhat of a difference still. Shadows is entirely GPU based, no?
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Shadows are always expensive to render for every shadow casting light you need to re render the scene from the perspective of the light..

as you can imagine if you have a slow video card this can cause a lot of fps drop.
  • Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    Shadows give me the biggest performance hit. I lose 10 - 30 FPS with them on.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Turning off shadows didn't give me any noticeable performance boost. I'm with the CPU bottleneck crowd though so maybe its just a fix for graphics bottleneck people.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    Interesting. that is good to know. I have a 8800GTX 1Gb... Its old I know, but it plays many other new games very well at same settings. So <shrug> :)
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited October 2012
    I mostly agree with your first post, the biggest FPS hit is shadows and ambience. I have a GTX 260, and a tri-core Athlon @ 2.8ghz. With that I am able to play on medium with everything off besides Atmospherics and AA low. Though I still notice pretty big FPS drops around the grenade launcher effects, which should be looked into as well. The wierd thing though last build(220) I was able to play with everything on, and noticed no FPS drop at all. So something messed up between the two builds for my PC.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm on an ATi Radeon HD5870. Shadows give me the largest hit along with AA.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985989:date=Oct 2 2012, 01:12 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 2 2012, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm on an ATi Radeon HD5870. Shadows give me the largest hit along with AA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    AA should really do nothing to your card. Are you sure it is AA and not atmospherics or AO?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    When you type r_stats 1 you can see how long your CPU is waiting for the GPU. if that value is anything different than 0 then you know that you are GPU limited. lowering the graphics settings makes sense in that case.

If the value is 0 or close to it you know that you are CPU limited. in that case there is not much you can do other than upgrading. You might actually turn up some graphics options without lowering your fps.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1984915:date=Sep 29 2012, 07:30 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Sep 29 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shadows is entirely GPU based, no?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

Every shadow-casting lightsource is a camera. You have to set everything up and render it(depth only) from the perspective of the lightsource, and that eats a lot of CPU, especially in DX9.

Lower your resolution and find out. If your performance is exactly the same, then it clearly has nothing to do with the GPU.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986037:date=Oct 2 2012, 04:42 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Oct 2 2012, 04:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you type r_stats 1 you can see how long your CPU is waiting for the GPU. if that value is anything different than 0 then you know that you are GPU limited. lowering the graphics settings makes sense in that case.

If the value is 0 or close to it you know that you are CPU limited. in that case there is not much you can do other than upgrading. You might actually turn up some graphics options without lowering your fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is hovering around 8-10 ms sometimes too much?
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985984:date=Oct 1 2012, 11:42 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Oct 1 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mostly agree with your first post, the biggest FPS hit is shadows and ambience. I have a GTX 260, and a tri-core Athlon @ 2.8ghz. With that I am able to play on medium with everything off besides Atmospherics and AA low. Though I still notice pretty big FPS drops around the grenade launcher effects, which should be looked into as well. The wierd thing though last build(220) I was able to play with everything on, and noticed no FPS drop at all. So something messed up between the two builds for my PC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same, grenade launchers kill my performance. Exos also seem to do it.