Drifter rush

2»

Comments

• azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I've seen people try this with Macs later on in games too. I recall my frame rate dropping to about 10, getting surrounded, and killed by them.

I haven't witnessed this tactic enough to say if it's a problem or not. Although I feel a limit on Drifters and Macs would be a good idea anyway.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Right because anyone besides the best clan in NS2 would be able to pull this off.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yeah, arc not everyone is skilled enough to mass drifters, seriously....
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    funny to see in public, but really cheap in comp games. it's frustrating to be basically rooted in place by so many drifters, will be changed in next patch.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have found that removing the server attacks for hydra's and whips in my GorgeCraft mod massively reduced the server impact. Removing the attacks from the drifter would save some of the server performance when a lot of the are made, but then, removing the attacks also removes the need to have a mass army of drifters...
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm also for a hard cap per hive.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987543:date=Oct 5 2012, 02:25 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 5 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, arc not everyone is skilled enough to mass drifters, seriously....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah notice the teamwork in the example game that you never see in pubs? lol I bet the scoreboard would've been a laugh to look at as well since arc is filled with people who actually do well with one hive skulk. No I think in most normal games the aliens without upgrades would begin to be overpowered by the marines and the marines would encroach upon the alien base as the aliens were massing drifters.. At least if the game were balanced thats how the game would go.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I know dude, I was agreeing with you. No one can perform this amazing drifter strategy on public servers, this is only a problem for the real pros of archaea. Spot on observation.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987552:date=Oct 5 2012, 08:34 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 5 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know dude, I was agreeing with you. No one can perform this amazing drifter strategy on public servers, this is only a problem for the real pros of archaea. Spot on observation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sarcastaball?

<!--quoteo(post=1987550:date=Oct 5 2012, 08:32 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 5 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah notice the teamwork in the example game that you never see in pubs? lol I bet the scoreboard would've been a laugh to look at as well since arc is filled with people who actually do well with one hive skulk. No I think in most normal games the aliens without upgrades would begin to be overpowered by the marines and the marines would encroach upon the alien base as the aliens were massing drifters.. At least if the game were balanced thats how the game would go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was done in a 10v10 public game before we tested it on the "pcw" were HBZ knew it was coming.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's really easy to win a pub with a drifter rush as long as your skulks are somewhat competent
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The drifter should not have 300 hp. It should not be able to attack. There should be a cap per hive on them.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987549:date=Oct 5 2012, 11:31 AM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Oct 5 2012, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also for a hard cap per hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Drifter health needs to be high for it to be viable individually. Unless you lower their health till they are literally made of paper, people will just compensate by increasing the number spammed (e.g. the sentry nerf until they were literally useless).

Also, I'd be more concerned for comp play if HBZ had successfully used this strat against Arc. The larger the difference in skill between two teams leads to the higher skilled team being able to pull off more ridiculous/risky strategies.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Capping them is the easiest route, there's really no reason at all why they should be spammable. Not to mention it's a performance hog, even with less HP people will be able to just throw them out en masse to lag everyone out.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Can we cap macs aswell then, I get terribad lag when marines spam mac trains with exos?
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    why has nobody mentioned that drifter spam makes hallucinations completely redundant ????

hallucination disappear with 1 hit, yet drifters can absorb 300 hp worth of damage AND attack players and structures AND block marines AND can be healed AND dont require a shade hive + upgraded shade

Drifter attack needs to be removed, they are a scouting unit ffs
    Drifter spam needs to stop, mass drifters are way more effecting than mass hallucinations.

why have UWE done nothing to address this when we have known about it for months ? do they actually feel that its a legitimate SC2 style cheese tactic ? Its so hypocritical to nerf sentries to absurd lengths whilst using the excuse that you want players vs other players not AI ... and at the same time support this ridiculous tactic involving AI drifters that renders another feature completely redundant.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I never liked drifters or macs, nothing is more annoying then getting pinned in a corner by a million drifters that have no collision with each other and yet collide with you.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    'cause every time I've tried Drifters they get stuck on ALL OF the map.

I'd say drop the HP closer to a Skulk's (150?), and do some serious work on fixing the collisions and pathing. Also, the attack is OK, but I agree doesn't fit. Drifters should be for scouting and using their support powers.