224 bugs & problems

mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
First of all: the skulk and lerk biting hitbox: GREAT improvement

But I've encountered several problems in the game.
-Using the LMG meelee attack, or the axe, i hit or click once, and I hear the "hmpf" sound of the marine swinging the axe/lmg, TWICE.
- <a href="http://i.imgur.com/aogFr.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/aogFr.jpg</a> the red line that I marked on the map, is a WALL, you CANNOT get through it, so why is it marked as an open space on the map? It's like crusher and cavern are one big open space.
- talking about mineshaft, why do the names of the locations keep changing? It's like saying "yo team, move out to "ore deposit" - "it's just called deposit now" - "no wait, they changed the name to <something else>" - "wait, where am I supposed to go now?"
- the vent in docking between onos bar (or just BAR now...) and locker rooms is gone, so how are we supposed to defend the locker rooms hive now if there's only one way in our out of the hive? Yes there are 2 other ways, but I mean if the marines are coming from onos bar, we are ######
- waypointing bug. If "I" is my bind to give that "warning waypoint" with the "!", you know what I mean, then even when I'm chatting, typing a chat message, and I hit "I" while chatting, it still selects a waypoint. So if I'm writing a message to my team and I hit the button "I" 5 times, my team get's the waypoint sound for 5 times.
- Ejecting commander. If I choose eject, then why don't I get any message that my vote has been cast or something similar? It's like I want to eject but don't even know if the button works ...
<b>EDIT</b>: - and what still bothers me is that the buttons in the command station match a QWERTY keyboard and not an AZERTY keyboard. Yes I've heard there's a fix/patch for that but that doesn't work for me on my computer, somehow. Why not simply add an option to swap between qwerty and azerty keys? Shouldn't be too hard.
<b>EDIT2</b> - the pit of a gorge, you can only see it for the first 5 meters, after that it becomes invisible
These are all just some small things, but like that map thing in mineshaft, how long has it been like that? It's only a MINOR adjustment to fix that.

And not nagging, but when will there be maps like origin and tanith and stuff?

greetz
mega_stihl (aka Dr3k)

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There's also no message to the team or the commander when a commander gets ejected, he just gets thrown out lol.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997649:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:00 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 26 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's also no message to the team or the commander when a commander gets ejected, he just gets thrown out lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Temperamental bug then. I saw an ejected comm message for the first time in the first 224 game I played.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    On summit in Crevice, marines can climb up a very steep cliff on the atrium side like a lader, I think this shouldn't be possible and looks awkward
  • mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997677:date=Oct 26 2012, 02:12 AM:name=Kuiki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuiki @ Oct 26 2012, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On summit in Crevice, marines can climb up a very steep cliff on the atrium side like a lader, I think this shouldn't be possible and looks awkward<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, saw that too. The southwest side of crevice
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reposted from the 224 release thread:

If you plant Cogs / Hydras as a Gorge but don't exit the Cogs / Hydras selection menu - and then jump into the hive to command - the Cog / Hydra selection screen doesn't go away unless you hop back out of the hive and select another ability.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997669:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:54 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 26 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Temperamental bug then. I saw an ejected comm message for the first time in the first 224 game I played.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Same.

<!--quoteo(post=1997677:date=Oct 26 2012, 12:12 PM:name=Kuiki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuiki @ Oct 26 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On summit in Crevice, marines can climb up a very steep cliff on the atrium side like a lader, I think this shouldn't be possible and looks awkward<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It's been like this everywhere on all maps for a couple of builds back.

<ul><li>BUG: Command Station can still be locked by spamming the LOGIN interface</li><li>BUG: Server browser "Community mods" tick box does not save</li><li>BUG: Non-commander's ping key(M) does not work</li><li>PROBLEM: Commander's 3:rd level hotkey interface ZXCV overlaps with overview key C, please change the default overview key</li><li>PROBLEM: Heal/Medpack request key is bound to the same key as Taunt</li><li>PROBLEM: Marine dmg/arm upgrade icons do not indicate level</li><li>IDEA: Show up observatory scan / static detection area limits in spectator mode</li><li>OPINION: Lerk spikes are too accurate, should be <i>slightly larger</i> than the marine body width at a distance of the width of Cargo in Veil</li></ul>
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997683:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:40 AM:name=mega_stihl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mega_stihl @ Oct 26 2012, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, saw that too. The southwest side of crevice<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) There is also a steep wall you can climb up on the east side of crevice, between the res node and the stone arch. This has been the case since I started playing around build 216 or so.

2) I have noticed a few icons that appear to have been swapped with something else, I know lots of people have already pointed out the observatory icon that appears for the alien commander when you have commander help option on (I deactivated this option as I kept upgrading things by mistake and I find hotkeys easier anyway), I also noticed these:

- button to select all marines as commander now appears to be the icon for upgrading a whip to bombard (I think).

- button to upgrade exosuit when proto lab selected has icon for <strike>beacon</strike> whatever was in that position on the last selection (I've seen res tower, med pack, beacon, weapons lvl 2, etc.)

3) I find it frustrating that the layout of the hotkeys has also been changed, e.g. selecting the obs and pushing S used to be phase tech upgrade, now it's beacon and I have twice beaconed after 2 minutes of play by accident, 10 res down the drain and annoying for whole team. It would be great if the layout could just stay fixed, I assume this was done because the devs thought it made more sense this way, which is obviously up to them, so I'm just hoping it won't change again in future updates.

4) I did manage to get into explore mode once in build 223 but don't seem to be able to do it in 224, it goes through the loading screen but when it gets to the 'server' the screen is black and it says "explore mode, press f4 to join ready room" at the top but it's unresponsive and the debug report is open when I alt-tab out.

Also, would it be possible to get a comment from a dev about where the best place is to post about bugs we find? I didn't think the main "discuss build 224" thread was appropriate just for bug reporting, so this thread seemed like a better move.

And just wanted to say great work guys, the game is coming along amazingly, everyone I've spoken to has said 224 has increased performance tremendously, thought I personally haven't noticed any significant change in my FPS.

<b>edit: </b>found out more about exosuit upgrade button icon.
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The other feature that would be nice is that when the main base is attacked it tells the commander more responsively. Not that its a problem for me when im commander usually, but I have had many commanders get base rushed or powerrushed by aliens and not even know its happening unitl its way too late... But until then I will continue to be a ninja bile gorge for the win!
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997906:date=Oct 26 2012, 12:32 PM:name=YoungTrotsky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YoungTrotsky @ Oct 26 2012, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it annoying that the layout of the hotkeys has also been changed, e.g. selecting the obs and pushing S used to be phase tech upgrade, now it's beacon and I have twice beaconed after 2 minutes of play by accident, 10 res down the drain and annoying for whole team. It would be great if the layout could just stay fixed, I assume this was done because the devs thought it made more sense this way, which is obviously up to them, so I'm just hoping it won't change again in future updates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same way my build key now brings up the GD menu now and i cannot unbind it. i have to use I now and its so GD frustrating, why is this NEEDED?!
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997906:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:32 PM:name=YoungTrotsky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YoungTrotsky @ Oct 26 2012, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, would it be possible to get a comment from a dev about where the best place is to post about bugs we find? I didn't think the main "discuss build 224" thread was appropriate just for bug reporting, so this thread seemed like a better move.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    For some reason I can't bind the Use Mic to Mouse2 (clicking the wheel). It worked fine in 223.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997937:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:09 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 26 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->same way my build key now brings up the GD menu now and i cannot unbind it. i have to use I now and its so GD frustrating, why is this NEEDED?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can bind it to something else and then rebind your original choice, you just have to change the new bind as otherwise it overrides other binds, if that makes sense. I bound the menu to H and then rebound X to just request order, works fine.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    where in the menu is the command to rebind the new request menu? it originally said my use key was x but pressing x brought up the new menu, now nothing is bound to x in the key select menu. do i really need to go edit the config directly? what steps do i need to trick the menu into working
    <!--quoteo(post=1998018:date=Oct 26 2012, 09:21 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 26 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->where in the menu is the command to rebind the new request menu? it originally said my use key was x but pressing x brought up the new menu, now nothing is bound to x in the key select menu. do i really need to go edit the config directly? what steps do i need to trick the menu into working<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The pop-up menu is called "voice overs" in the bindings menu. Change it to a key other than X and you can then use X for whatever you want.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i recognized, that the cyst placement bug appears more often in b224 ...
    the bug can be "fixed with logging out and back in the hive, but it's realy annoying if you have to do it nearly every game ;)

i regret, that i don't know how to reproduce the bug :(
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    A couple of bugs:

-Game freezes randomly for a few seconds (up to ten) and I get a console message stating that something wasn't found. (usually some sort of texture or resource) Verifying cache did nothing to remedy this problem, never had it prior to 224 either. (No hiccups in other games, no spyware, no adware, nothing of the sort.)

-Sometimes when switching guns, the game decides to switch my guns back. Typically on the first weapon switch of the match. It's not my mouse wheel, I checked that out, it's some sort of bug. (It only happens in NS2, so it's not my keyboard/mouse or something.)

That's pretty much it, from what I've experienced this far. Those two bugs are the most frustrating out of anything.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mineshaft has a ton of minimap issues, it's extremely confusing to navigate.
  • mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
    Another think I would like to add. What has been removed since built 200 or something like that: If multiple marines are moving as a squad, as a commander you could select the squad by a single click. It selected multiple marines automatic. I really liked that option. Anyone else agrees with this?