Clog Usefulness

2»

Comments

• Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Added this to my signature, hopefully get UWE to read this, I agree with everything
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1955554:date=Aug 1 2012, 08:21 AM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Aug 1 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added this to my signature, hopefully get UWE to read this, I agree with everything<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, I appreciate it - but no changes to add? Or maybe there is something in the OP which you think in particular would be so helpful? The real way to get recognition is to present an idea fully, and to talk about the pros and cons of this system vs. the old.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936679:date=May 17 2012, 11:15 PM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ May 17 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#F5DEB3--><span style="color:#F5DEB3"><!--/coloro--><b>Clog Health</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->-Have Clog's health increase based on how many Clogs are touching it, and have them share that health so none die until the total health is gone. This doesn't mean they need to add together, two clogs could have 1.75 the health of one clog, 3 could have 2.25, etc. or some other diminishing return formula (this would prevent marines from shooting the lowest clog and disabling the whole structure).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 this is an awesome idea - this NEEDS to be implemented! :)

I think maybe to balance clogs should be flame-able and burn until healed by the gorge.

<!--quoteo(post=1937749:date=May 21 2012, 05:22 AM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ May 21 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Goo-walls and clogs always seemed to me to be a gelatinous and translucent material. Aliens should be able to squeeze through them with minimal slowdown, like a speed bump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 another awesome idea -
    1. its annoying that clogs block the gorges view
    2. translucency is cool :)

also maybe clogs could shrink in size when you press "E" on them, so that you can get past easily. and then grow back to full size again a second later.

I like the hardening/maturation of clogs idea also!

Another idea is if that if clogs are "healed" by gorge spray they stay slimey and if marines touch them, they are slowed and damaged.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1956258:date=Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think maybe to balance clogs should be flame-able and burn until healed by the gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't have a problem with that -> it makes sense that if someone has a specialized weapon (which costs what, 35 res?) they should be able to chew through the wall rather quickly. And if the Gorge isn't around, then how do they expect the wall to stay standing?
    <!--quoteo(post=1956258:date=Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 another awesome idea -
    1. its annoying that clogs block the gorges view
    2. translucency is cool :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think permanent translucency would be all that logical -> it would likely just cause frustration in that players would see what they couldn't interact with. It would also remove either side's ability to hide in wait of something on the other side of the wall.
    <!--quoteo(post=1956258:date=Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also maybe clogs could shrink in size when you press "E" on them, so that you can get past easily. and then grow back to full size again a second later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This one was the first suggestion:
    <!--coloro:#F5DEB3--><span style="color:#F5DEB3"><!--/coloro--><b>Clog Ease of Use</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->-When a Kharaan player approaches a Clog (or group of Clogs) and presses E quickly, have the Clogs recede into the base clogs which they are connected to for a short amount of time. After the duration is up, the clogs would return to where they were and continue to provide their wall support. This would let the Gorge who constructed the structure to still get past easily.

<!--quoteo(post=1956258:date=Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 2 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another idea is if that if clogs are "healed" by gorge spray they stay slimey and if marines touch them, they are slowed and damaged.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't really like the idea of turning Clogs into something which causes damage - plus if its only on contact, then how often would it apply? Marines would simply learn to not touch them, or they would be a minor inconvenience. Plus if a Gorge is currently healing the wall, the healspray would travel through and damage the marines anyway.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Would love all of these changes.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Look out for some Clog changes for ease of usage :)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967675:date=Aug 28 2012, 04:07 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 28 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Look out for some Clog changes for ease of usage :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What!?!?

Does that mean UWE is listening....................runs and grabs tin foil hat!

:D
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Just had an idea and don't want to clutter up the I&S forum:

Let the Khamm build on top of Clogs again. When built on a Clog, the structure has a small patch of infestation (e.g. Hydra), which is persistent even when the Clog is destroyed.

This allows Gorge-Khamm interaction to create forward bases again (even in vents!), without needing to creep up the Cyst chain and ruining any element of surprise. It also prevents Gorges from unintentionally (or not) killing off TRes investments, as seen before with Mini-Cysts.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    So, clogs are kind of useless right now... with the new physics I've seen marines just jump over a clog wall piled 5 high :/

Their only real use is for damage mitigation purposes now, they are no longer able to provide area denial via "clogging" anymore :(
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    They should slow marines down by a moderate amount when coming into contact, either to prevent marines from scaling them or at least giving gorges a chance to get away.
    As they are currently, Clogs are merely bullet-sponges and not very good blockades. I do enjoy being able to scale 2+ Clog height as Gorge though.

On a side note, I would love for Infestation Spikes (awesome new model btw) to be used as Clog instead, maybe adding damage on touch so Marines will think twice before jumping over them.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941091:date=Jun 2 2012, 08:52 AM:name=fenrir1179)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fenrir1179 @ Jun 2 2012, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->clogs need help, quite abit..
    playing a marine i never said to mayself "oh no CLOGS! .. what to do?"

yeah i miss webs :( anti-jetpack webbing + an onos with devour waiting below.. gulp !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG yes, webs were one of the things that made gorge and ns1 so intriguing and fun to play. And they really do synergize well with offensive turrets (hydras now).

If I could have one heartfelt request it would be to have webs back (replacing or even alongside clogs)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    UWE are working on a web shooting device for gorges.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2012
    Anyone notice clog size was increased this patch? :>

By ~30% I would say, since you can wall off a doorway that used to take 4 rows of clogs with only 3 rows now. I still wish marines could not walk/jump over them so easily with the physics though.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    I still support this jazz btw, I wish UWE would look at suggestions.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997619:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:46 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Oct 26 2012, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone notice clog size was increased this patch? :>

By ~30% I would say, since you can wall off a doorway that used to take 4 rows of clogs with only 3 rows now. I still wish marines could not walk/jump over them so easily with the physics though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think jumping over them is fine, marines should just be slowed down by 50% or so for 2 or 3 seconds after coming into contact with a clog.

I also think it would be cooler clogs had more of a transparent goo look to them. Then, when a marine came into contact with one, it could change to look more opaque, and when an alien came into contact with one, it could change to look more transparent and allow them through.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Gorge's don't have their #4 yet. . .

Maybe they will get a ability to turn clogs into traps for the marines
    I like the idea of different types of Clogs, Maybe they could be researched at Shift/Crag/Shade Hives respectively.
    like the ones mentioned above and then some:

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Spike Clogs:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Bone spiked clogs that deal damage to enemy players/structures who come in contact with them.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Bone Clogs:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Bone armor plated clogs with Reduced damage and/or buffed armor.

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Glue Clogs:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Gooey and sticky clogs which slow down marines on contact and applies slow down effect for a short while
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(Maybe allows Gorges and other non-skulk life-forms to climb it)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro-->Blood Clogs:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Red Living clog that regenerates health and can be healed by any friendly sources and can be eaten to restore % of health

<i>
    I'm thinking of making this it's own suggestion thread later today.</i>
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    What if aliens could move through them? Or the Marine scanning unable to penetrate them.
  • HeavenOrHellHeavenOrHell Join Date: 2012-10-07 Member: 161756Members
    Here are my 2 cents

Preset templates for Clog Walls

e.g.
    A 2x2 Clog Wall template
    You move around and place it at your desired location
    It forms a greenish transparent......template like unbuilt Marine structures
    A Clog brought close to the template will automatically "stick" to one of the avaliable spots on it (So on and so forth)

You can save the templates and hotkey them (F1-12 maybe?)
    The templates do not obstruct Marines or Aliens

Saves the Gorge(s) time from undoing errors in the Clog Walls