Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta build 226 (our last beta build?!)

Comments

• BloodshotheroBloodshothero Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158258Members
    Everything has been building up to this moment. The beta is coming to an end and the rest of the world get to bask in all it glory!
    Good job Unknown Worlds! GG WP!
  • moosemanvanalgaemoosemanvanalgae Join Date: 2007-08-28 Member: 62036Members
    I suggest using a non-proportional font for the server browser numbers columns. The way it is now, the columns of numbers look ragged and are more difficult to skim.

I would also like to see a History tab on the server browser, in case I find a cool server.

Also, I don't see a way to find out what map we are playing while we are in the game.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    turn down the skulk bite and fade swing, also why does the game lag when opening the menu while in a game ( has been like this for ages). Pistol reload bug is occurring more often now, I normally have to reload it 2-3 times before it works
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited October 2012
    The change in order of button / view angle updating did not solve the hitreg problem. It simply reverted the bug to a prior incarnation of it, <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=122192&view=findpost&p=2000381" target="_blank">just as I predicted</a>.

An example of it can be seen here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-FY00mRn0&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-FY00mRn0...feature=related</a>

The firing button doesn't handled until the frame after it is pressed, and it uses the new view angle from that frame - not the one you were using when you fired.

Best of luck to the team during this final whirlwind.
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2000586:date=Oct 30 2012, 01:00 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 30 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation is a work in progress, and as mentioned in the patch notes, it will be getting filled in more so there are less gaps. It has been a delicate balance between visuals, gameplay and performance when it comes to actual 3 dimensional infestation, and it's pretty amazing what Max and Steve have been able to pull off in such a short amount of time.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's a big improvement. Creepy and makes you seasick ;)

I know you guys are super busy, but can someone (maybe a playtester?) tell us a bit about how it works? I'm guessing you're deforming a flat mesh on the GPU?

re: hitreg, I thought it was noticeably improved.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000618:date=Oct 29 2012, 10:42 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 29 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The change in order of button / view angle updating did not solve the hitreg problem. It simply reverted the bug to a prior incarnation of it, <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=122192&view=findpost&p=2000381" target="_blank">just as I predicted</a>.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-FY00mRn0&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-FY00mRn0...feature=related</a>

The firing button doesn't handled until the frame after it is pressed, and it uses the new view angle from that frame - not the one you were using when you fired.

Best of luck to the team during this final <b>whirlwind</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can't even call a "too soon" on this one.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    New infestation looks quite nice, but I am also not liking the gaps. IMO infestation should cover the area 100% to look amazing. Just reducing the gaps won't help imo, and might kill performance. Blending is also an issue - the blending between infestation and the map textures. If the edges could somehow fade into the original map textures instead of being so sharp/rough, it might look a lot better.

You guys are crazy with the last minute patching though! I can't wait to see what you have for 1.0 and beyond :-) .
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed celerity working when sneaking / being cloaked<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was a bug? I thought it was a feature, so skulks could actually try to keep up with marines while not being so danged loud. :-(
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Hit reg is crazy good in this patch.

Grats UWE.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Huge thumbs up on the hit reg, it's much better. Very impressive you guys were able to fix it in time for release.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    Maybe thebreathing should be like a pulse, from a hive center moving radial outward thiswouldbe much cooler. Tessalation for the veins on the infestion texture would be nice to have :-P
  • terrorizerterrorizer Join Date: 2009-08-05 Member: 68359Members
    Nice patch! Cannot wait to get home and play.
    Just want to ask who played - is there any perfomance boost in this build or not?
  • brunoagainbrunoagain Join Date: 2011-05-18 Member: 99397Members
    Could someone please make a quick video of the new infestation?

Much appreciated <3
  • dushandushan Breaker of Games Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130202Members, NS2 Developer, Squad Five Blue, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2000618:date=Oct 29 2012, 10:42 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 29 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The change in order of button / view angle updating did not solve the hitreg problem. It simply reverted the bug to a prior incarnation of it, <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=122192&view=findpost&p=2000381" target="_blank">just as I predicted</a>.

Best of luck to the team during this final whirlwind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it used the view angle that you saw when you clicked the button, both you and the target you were trying to hit will move to their new position but you'll be left pointing (and shooting) at the old spot. That's definitely not what we want, right? The way it works now - if you are tracking a target with your crosshair and fire, you'll hit it (unless you're me and get all excited before pulling the trigger and twitch the mouse the very frame you click the button... :P )

-D
  • dushandushan Breaker of Games Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130202Members, NS2 Developer, Squad Five Blue, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2000637:date=Oct 30 2012, 12:06 AM:name=Kuiki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuiki @ Oct 30 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe thebreathing should be like a pulse, from a hive center moving radial outward thiswouldbe much cooler. Tessalation for the veins on the infestion texture would be nice to have :-P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have seen some of the things Steve had on his screen while working on it... it made my skin crawl. :O
  • Cypher The HorseCypher The Horse Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164512Members
    edited October 2012
    In b225 Monday night, I tried to blink into the vent from Stability to Departures and got stuck out of the map a little bit in to the vent and above it. A marine eventually went close to the opening by Stability and looked up and killed me (from inside the vent).
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had a little play, quick feedback.

Not sure about the constant movement of infestation, i'd like to see most of it static with the occasional blob pulsating.

That is all, keep up the good work.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Is there a possiblilty for a default 'on' kick readyroom peopleafter a certain time? Waiting 5 mins for server, join, and hlaf the teams afk in the ready room ...
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Anyone have a youtube vid of new infestation? I don't have NS2 installed atm (I have exams and am trying not to play).
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well done guys really nice work lokking forward to 1.0 keep it up!!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2000659:date=Oct 30 2012, 09:53 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Oct 30 2012, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone have a youtube vid of new infestation? I don't have NS2 installed atm (I have exams and am trying not to play).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes please, I'm at work and am very curious as to what it looks like :D
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    I have exams coming up and 226 is out.. what should I do?
  • L34DL34D Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63280Members
    Nice. BUT the old texture of the infestation looks far better than the limegreen slime. The green looks too dominant for me now. It doesnt fit to the ground texture of the buildings (hydras etc.).

Is the green slime a placeholder and the final looks like the ground texture from buildings?

A feature i would like to see is that if the infestation is at the top (roof? dont know the word right now :/) of rooms that sometimes the slime drops to the ground (like rain drops). That would make the alien area more scary for rines to move in. :D
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Seems like a good patch, glad to hear the "hitreg" problems have been fixed.

Any chance at all that you guys can remove the screen shake from the machine gun and increase the time each message stays in the kill feed (double it) before release? These are improvements that seem like should only take a couple of moments (at least it only took me a couple of moments, back when we could still use client mods) to fix, and are quite important to some of us.

I don't know how many times the shaky screen effect has been mentioned on these forums, but nothing happens. :tear:
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for fixing the rego issues uwe. It feels great - better than anything pre224.
  • frogfrog Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162551Members
    At this point I just want UWE to take a week's vacation. The game is release-worthy. Have a beer guys, lean back, watch a kung fu movie. People have been waiting all this time to play NS2, not waiting to see the most perfectly impeccably superiourousifically beautiful DI. So many games have rushed shipping dates these days, even from giant top-tier developers, that it's really fantastic to see a tiny team like UWE crank out something of this calibre. We'll still be here when DI is finished.

<!--quoteo(post=2000671:date=Oct 30 2012, 10:21 AM:name=L34D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L34D @ Oct 30 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->at the top (roof? dont know the word right now :/) of rooms<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been working as an English teacher in Germany for over a year now, and I have not met a <i>single</i> German who knew the word <b>ceiling</b>. Is that part of vocabulary going to be released post 1.0? :P
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Looks like a good patch

Any chance we can have whips whack back grenades properly before 1.0? :P

Congrats! You've come a long way and it's hard to believe it's finally here, pretty much!
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000684:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:37 AM:name=frog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frog @ Oct 30 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been working as an English teacher in Germany for over a year now, and I have not met a <i>single</i> German who knew the word <b>ceiling</b>. Is that part of vocabulary going to be released post 1.0? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always thought it was called blanket... Strange language you people speak...
  • Jrp001Jrp001 Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162963Members
    T-13 hours till launch :).
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2000647:date=Oct 30 2012, 04:28 AM:name=dushan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dushan @ Oct 30 2012, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it used the view angle that you saw when you clicked the button, both you and the target you were trying to hit will move to their new position but you'll be left pointing (and shooting) at the old spot. That's definitely not what we want, right? The way it works now - if you are tracking a target with your crosshair and fire, you'll hit it (unless you're me and get all excited before pulling the trigger and twitch the mouse the very frame you click the button... :P )

-D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Isn't the server supposed to rewind time based on ping/interp? The angle you're facing when you fire should be the angle used, not the angle of the frame before, not the angle of the frame after.

At the extreme case, if you're facing completely away from your target frame 1, then snap to the target and fire in frame two, then spin 180° in frame 3, you should still hit the target. Patch 225 it sounds like you'd miss due to the bullets going at frame 1's angle, patch 226 sound like it would fire on frame 3's angle. It really should use frame 2's angle though, right?